“Great New Years Eve Venue”

Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Whately Hall as part of a NYE package with "The Killing Game", a Murder Mystery Event. The hotel is situated in the middle of Banbury (near the Cross) and has a historic past. We had a room at the front of the hotel in the old part, which was a little jaded but quite pleasant. Nice 3 course dinner and a good cooked breakfast buffet on New Years Day. The staff were very friendly and efficient. Car parking was ok at the back, but there is also a big Pay and Display Car Park at the front of the hotel too. Overall we were impressed.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel are in the older more historic part of the hotel if you like tha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great comments after yor stay here with us at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel on New Years Eve. I am so pleased to read your positive review and I will be sure to pass on your comments about the team to them. I note your comments about the jaded room and these rooms wil be refurbished duringt he course of the year.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Once again many thanks and kind regards

Michael Williams

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve as part of a murder mystery evening arranged by an outside company.
Deluxe room was old but ok with separate sitting and bedrooms areas.
No hot water to get ready for our evening and luke warm water or a shower in the morning.
No room safe so concerned about everyday high value items having to be hidden in the room iPad etc. whilst we were at the dinner.
Quite noisy with doors slamming when everyone is going in and out of rooms.
Carpets in corridors were quite dirty looking.
Hotel has a car park but only if you are a confident driver or have a small car as entrance is through quite a narrow entrance with a turn.

Room Tip: don't choose
1  Thank dunnaz2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments follwoing your stay here with us at New Year. I am very sorry that there was insuffiecient hot water this was due to the high volume of guests getting ready at the same time and is not normally a problem here but I appreciate how it affected you. Some of our rooms are darker than others due to the age and nature of the building and we will be addressing this in the ongoing refurbishment schedule. Whilst we do not have safes in any of our rooms we would have been happy to strore any items in our main safe at Reception. I will ask our maintainence team to look at the door closers to see if noise can be reduced Our carpets are cleaned on a regular basis but due to pattern and light shadows I understand that they can look dirty but they aren't. I know that the car park entrance is narrow but to date we haven't has a car that can't get in although as you say with some larger vehicles caution is needed.

Once again thank you very much for your comments and once again my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would be grateful if you could contact myself or Rooms Division Manager if you wish to discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Michael Williams

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights (room 52); night before my wedding on my own & second one with my brand new husband. The service given & attention to detail was faultless. All staff (catering, events and reception) were fabulous & all went out of their way to ensure everything about our stay & wedding reception went smoothly. The only slight niggle was that (perhaps because 1st night there was only me) despite asking hospitality, there was only one set of towels.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our Mercure Whately Hall Hotel for such a beautiful and memorable event and also we really are pleased that we could be a part of such a life long experience. It is good to read that you were satisfied with our services. I will share your comments with our team.
We wish you all the best. You and your friends are always welcome!

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Being responsible for the office Christmas bash for 55 staff was a bit of a task but from the start of the organising right up until the end Youssef was available for any questions I had and was on hand during our event to ensure that everything went without a hitch. The tables were decorated beatifically and the food was hot and lots of it. The service we received was excellent. Below are comments from some of the bosses received afterwards -

"Other than one member of staff, who was off hand and did not bring any more drinks when asked, I thought all the other staff were very efficient and polite – especially those in the food serving area.

The food was of a good quality and the portions were generous.

I’m not usually the biggest fan of “The Whately” but this was (surprisingly) good. 9/10!

Another one "The Christmas Party was very good and the food and service at Whately was equally good. I did not hear any complaints on my table"

And finally "I also thought that the venue, service and food was very good on Friday. I think the venue worked well in that we were all in one room and on circular tables. I would say repeat it for next year."

Looks like we will be booking for 2014 - thank you Youssef and his staff, keep up the good work.

Sally Williams

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sally,

Let me take the opportunity to wish you a Happy and Prosperous New Year on behalf of our hotel. Thank you ever so much for your honest and detailed review. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am really pleased to read that you were satisfied with service provided by Youssef and his team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you for perfect overall scores and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We selected this hotel for its location and based on having had very good stays in Mercure hotels in France. This hotel is nowhere near the standard of its French cousins.

We booked an executive room which was an OK three star room in the new (1960s) wing of the hotel. The room was adequate and the bed was comfortable. Being at the back of the hotel, it was very quiet so we got a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was a very tired buffet with the basics but it was mostly all crisp and dry. The coffee was dire.

Overall it was not great value and will be off our list for the future,

Room Tip: Ask for the New Wing for a quiet night

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here with us, also thank you for pointing out our good location. It is good to read that you liked our quite rooms in the new wing of our hotel. I am sorry that your breakfast was not so enjoyable. The necessary actions are already in place to avoid similar complaints.
I hope you will give us another chance at your next visit to Banbury.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Reviewed December 18, 2013