1,004 results
All reviews car park narrow entrance murder mystery newer part old building reception staff central location creaky floorboards executive room hotel is lovely eggs benedict church bells an upgrade wedding reception pubs and restaurants staff were excellent enjoyable stay
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We ended up in Banbury after trying to find accommodation unsuccessfully in Oxford, as we were unaware of the half term school holidays. We were really pleased to find the Mercure Whately Hall and were greeted warmly by Liam in reception. He really went out of his way to make us welcome and couldn't do enough for us. The hotel is in a great location, very close to shopping, pubs and restaurant. However I feel the hotel has let itself down in several areas. We had to drag our suitcases up 2 very steep staircases and the along a maze of rooms only to find another couple of stairs before we got to our room. Why no lift? The floor boards in the hallways creaked badly and loudly. The carpets were very old and need replacing the rooms need a good coat of paint. We had a really good hot shower and the bathroom was nice and big, especially by English standards, but again in need of a good refurbishment. The hotel does have a lovely charm about it and if it was renovated could really be a great hotel. Breakfast was nice, there was a good selection of food and it was well cooked. The parking was also good, right out the front and that is a definite bonus. Definitely ok for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice words about the location and the professional and helpful staff. I am happy to read that you were satisfied about the breakfast and free parking facilities. In regards the hotel layout the lift is at the far end of hotel and whilst it is possible to access the older part of the hotel without going outside it does involve a number of steps and stairs in the original 17th Century part of the hotel. Should have the need to stay in the area again please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to offer the most convenient room according to your preferences. I apologise for creakiness however it is part of an old characterful building although we do try to minimise the creakiness where possible.
Once again many thanks for your detailed and comments and look forward to welcoming you again at Mercure Whately Hall in Banbury.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed here between the 3rd and 4th of December and I must say was disappointed and amazed at the same time. I have heard many good things about the food here at Whately Hall, however the food service, and quality was diabolical. I was made too wait 50 minutes for a cheese sandwich and only acknowledged by a young receptionist, Nathan - who I must say was absolutely brilliant. Nathan and another young chap called Liam can not be praised enough for the helpfulness and care they had for myself and then upon checkout I found out Nathan had only been there 4 days which was not obvious which can only be served as a compliment to himself. Overall the room was okay and I enjoyed my stay, but it's a shame not everyone's attitude is the same as the 2 males behind receptionist who moved heaven and earth to ensure my comfort even during a busy check-in. Will visit again in hope the food is better!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback after your stay at Mercure Whately Hall in Banbury. All staff member of Reception were delightful reading your kind compliments. Both Nathan and Liam received their well deserved praise be ensured. Also thank you for pointing out our amazing central location.
On the other hand please accept my apologies for poor food service. Please be ensured I will take the appropriate measures to address your concern and prevent future occurrence. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Banbury Whately Hall and provide you with a perfect experience.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have stayed 2 nights in this friendly hotel really close to Oxford. staff were really friendly and nice from reception, bar an breakfast areas where I had chance to deal with them.

Lot of character and features hotel with lovely room design.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your taking the time to post your comments after your stay at Mercure Whately Hall in Banbury. I am very happy that you enjoyed both the location and the services of our hotel. Thank you for pointing out our friendly staff and the characterful warm atmosphere of the property.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Once again many thanks.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just returned froo nearly twelve months ago our party which involved 7 or 8 rooms being booked looked forward with excitement. From check in matters descended into farce. We were not given the room we had booked, however a request did see us able to change rooms which was fine however we were told we couldn't have the room we had booked due to maintenance issues. Saturday saw several of our rooms without heating or hot water a £20-00 discount was offered but that is really not the point when you have had to bathe or shower in cold water. Made all the more irritating when staff inform you that the hotel has had a problem with the heating system for some time. This subject was the talk of breakfast, which leads onto the next fiasco. It seemed impossible to get toast, tea, sauce, to accompany breakfast this episode was repeated this morning, toast but no butter, luke warm tea, and brown sauce at a premium. The kitchen doesnt seem able to cope with breakfast demand, ran out of mushrooms completely, and at times eggs, sausages and bacon leading to lengthy queues and disquiet. In the bar on Saturday night I was told the restaurant had run out of red wine....and offered Rose, this proved to be incorrect but only after persistence on our part. My sisters room had a problem with the drains and as a result sewer smells filled the room over night to the extent they slept with the windows open, we heard other guests with similar complaints. On Sunday evening we had a private dining party in a side room. To the chef's credit the food was very good, timely, and as ordered, we had ordered and paid for the food prior to our arrival at the hotel. However the organiser was presented with a bill for all the meals at the end of the evening which then took time and more avoidable angst to resolve. On booking out today my mother raised a long list of complaints with the young genetleman on reception, these included the fact that her room had not been made up during her stay!!!! He promised to pass here comments on to the Duty Manager but the attitude and sincerity with which my mothers remarks were taken lead me to believe that he concerns were not being treated that seriously. It is a pity that we and most of the other guests staying in the hotel this weekend had such a bad experience as mentioned earlier this is our third stay and we have got to know some of the staff. James barman and waiter is a noteable beacon of light by way of good service and attention to the guests as are some of the staff responsible for running the breakfast. However the management of the establishment leaves a lot to be desired and we will probably not stay again. I know that many of my friends are to write directly to Mercure to complain. Overall our stay was bitterly disappointing.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay room 21, 39 and 41 are pretty good in the older part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Banbury Whately Hall. I learned with great sadness that a central boiler leaking problem caused a sorrowful bad experience during your stay. Unforeseen technical problems sometimes can not be fixed within some hours. Certainly our heating system had been repaired on the following day.
I do apologise for poor service at breakfast however we have done several actions to cater so many guests simultaneously: opening the restaurant terrace, if whether permits, opening extra function rooms, installing separate coffee machine avoiding crowds. By these actions we can handle even peak periods, but still it can happen that guests should sometime wait for a while - like in all hotels if guest are coming for breakfast at the same time.
What the room cleaning problems concerned I like to apologize for all the inconveniences caused. The necessary actions are already in place to avoid similar complaints.
I appreciate your kind feedback on one of our staff member please be ensured I will be pass your praising words to James.
You may rest assured that we have taken a good note of your comments as they offer us a valuable opportunity to monitor and continually improve our facilities and services.
I sincerely hope during your next visit you will not experience such fails and look forward to welcoming you again in our Mercure Whately Hall Hotel.

Reviewed December 1, 2013