All reviewscar parknarrow entrancemurder mysterynewer partold buildingreception staffcentral locationcreaky floorboardsexecutive roomhotel is lovelyeggs benedictchurch bellsan upgradewedding receptionpubs and restaurantsstaff were excellentenjoyable stay
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just returned froo nearly twelve months ago our party which involved 7 or 8 rooms being booked looked forward with excitement. From check in matters descended into farce. We were not given the room we had booked, however a request did see us able to change rooms which was fine however we were told we couldn't have the room we had booked due to maintenance issues. Saturday saw several of our rooms without heating or hot water a £20-00 discount was offered but that is really not the point when you have had to bathe or shower in cold water. Made all the more irritating when staff inform you that the hotel has had a problem with the heating system for some time. This subject was the talk of breakfast, which leads onto the next fiasco. It seemed impossible to get toast, tea, sauce, to accompany breakfast this episode was repeated this morning, toast but no butter, luke warm tea, and brown sauce at a premium. The kitchen doesnt seem able to cope with breakfast demand, ran out of mushrooms completely, and at times eggs, sausages and bacon leading to lengthy queues and disquiet. In the bar on Saturday night I was told the restaurant had run out of red wine....and offered Rose, this proved to be incorrect but only after persistence on our part. My sisters room had a problem with the drains and as a result sewer smells filled the room over night to the extent they slept with the windows open, we heard other guests with similar complaints. On Sunday evening we had a private dining party in a side room. To the chef's credit the food was very good, timely, and as ordered, we had ordered and paid for the food prior to our arrival at the hotel. However the organiser was presented with a bill for all the meals at the end of the evening which then took time and more avoidable angst to resolve. On booking out today my mother raised a long list of complaints with the young genetleman on reception, these included the fact that her room had not been made up during her stay!!!! He promised to pass here comments on to the Duty Manager but the attitude and sincerity with which my mothers remarks were taken lead me to believe that he concerns were not being treated that seriously. It is a pity that we and most of the other guests staying in the hotel this weekend had such a bad experience as mentioned earlier this is our third stay and we have got to know some of the staff. James barman and waiter is a noteable beacon of light by way of good service and attention to the guests as are some of the staff responsible for running the breakfast. However the management of the establishment leaves a lot to be desired and we will probably not stay again. I know that many of my friends are to write directly to Mercure to complain. Overall our stay was bitterly disappointing.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay room 21, 39 and 41 are pretty good in the older part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Banbury Whately Hall. I learned with great sadness that a central boiler leaking problem caused a sorrowful bad experience during your stay. Unforeseen technical problems sometimes can not be fixed within some hours. Certainly our heating system had been repaired on the following day.
I do apologise for poor service at breakfast however we have done several actions to cater so many guests simultaneously: opening the restaurant terrace, if whether permits, opening extra function rooms, installing separate coffee machine avoiding crowds. By these actions we can handle even peak periods, but still it can happen that guests should sometime wait for a while - like in all hotels if guest are coming for breakfast at the same time.
What the room cleaning problems concerned I like to apologize for all the inconveniences caused. The necessary actions are already in place to avoid similar complaints.
I appreciate your kind feedback on one of our staff member please be ensured I will be pass your praising words to James.
I sincerely hope during your next visit you will not experience such fails and look forward to welcoming you again in our Mercure Whately Hall Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 1, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Three of us booked for lunch last Sunday and were nervous to find ourselves to be the only diners at a table laid in the bar! In actual fact we had a charming waitress uniquely serving us and surprise surprise the food was sensational ! Would recommend to anyone who enjoys tasty and elegantly presented food.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Emma H
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

I appreciate your kind words on our Swift Restaurant and your brief summary which lists the best values of our outlet. I will be sure pass on your kind words regarding the service and the team here to all concerned.
We look forward to see you again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The location could not have been better however the hotel does need a refresh. Yes I know it old and has a certain charm but the carpets need renewing and the wifi didnt penetrate into my far flung bedroom. No lift and no one to take cases up two storeys and along a windy route. Breakfast good except for some very indifferent sausages - why do most hotels skimp there!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback following your recent stay with us at Mercure Whately Hall in Banbury. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the central location of our hotel. On the other hand I am sorry to read you were dissatisfied with the hotel layout, the lift is at the far end of hotel and whilst it is possible to access the older part of the hotel without going outside it does involve a number of steps and stairs in the original 17th Century characteristic part of the hotel. You may rest assured that we have taken a good note of your comments as they offer us a valuable opportunity to monitor and continually improve our facilities and services.
Many thanks again for your valuable comments and I do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Kind Regards