All reviewscar parknarrow entrancemurder mysterynewer partold buildingreception staffcentral locationcreaky floorboardsexecutive roomhotel is lovelyeggs benedictchurch bellsan upgradewedding receptionpubs and restaurantsstaff were excellentenjoyable stay
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel has a delightful period exterior, well documented history and pleasant gardens. It is located only a short walk from the shopping centre and pubs. The staff were efficient, helpful and accommodating. However the stairs and corridors to the upper rooms is quite a mission with large suitcases. The room although dated and basic was clean. The noise was the worst thing about this hotel having specified a quite room. The disco from a wedding downstairs kept us awake into the morning and lots of banging thereafter. Do not stay here on a Saturday night or check if they have a wedding function is my advise.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments after your stay with us at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury. We are more than happy when we receive feedback from such a senior contributor like you. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the location and the characteristic warm welcome of our historical hotel. I will be sure pass on your kind words regarding the service and the team here to all concerned. On the other hand I am truly sorry for noise disturbance occurred due to wedding party. Once you would choose to stay with us again in the future and would be pleased if you could contact me to take care of your reservations personally to ensure you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Once again many thanks and I do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We decided to visit Banbury as it was a place we had never been before and were delighted to find a clean very open town with a central shopping and business area together with an indoor market. The famous cross stands four square in the centre of a main crossroads and laying back from one of these is Whatley Hall, as we have been very pleased with 'Mercure' in the past we decided to stay if they could provide a ground floor room - if there was no lift - as my wife cannot manage stairs. We actually had the 'disabled room' which had all that was required for a comfortable two night stay, large TV , drink provisions and all the usual toiletries. The window looked onto the garden but was not overlooked. We were offered help with our cases and the staff at reception could not have been more helpful.

The hotel is old - very old so rather creaky, there is a newer part but it lacks atmosphere. Actually there is a story of a ghost haunting one room but we were in the wrong room! The dining room is large, but in two parts, the original room plus a new extension. The only slight drawback - as happens in all large hotels - there was a coach party of some 50 people in the dining room which made us feel rather overwhelmed. Not that this affected our extremely good dinner served to us by a charming lady who despite having to help serve the large group was able to give us her full attention which meant that we did not feel ignored.

Breakfast was the usual self service but as in other Mercure hotels there is a sizeable menu from which one can order more special dishes (eg. Eggs Benedict). One point to consider - don't drive through to the car park if you have been too liberal with the wine - it is very narrow about four inches clear each side! All in all, well done Mercure.

Room Tip: None are noisy but some are a bit small and creaky (and that's were you will find the ghost)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
WhatleyHall, Front Office Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much your detailed review after your stay here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury. I appreciate your kind words and thank you for summarizing all of the unique selling points of our Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I am glad that you were satisfied with our services and enjoyed the traditional warm atmosphere of our property. I will be sure pass on your kind words regarding the service and the team here to all concerned.

We look forward to welcoming you back at your next visit in Banbury.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I was really looking forward to a night away with my partner. Turned up and the reception was a mess. There was confetti all over the floor and teas cups etc in all the tables. The receptionist wasn't very welcoming. Wasn't told check out time, where the breakfast was. The room was clean and tidy. But only one towel.There was a wedding and a party going on this kept us up until 1am. Then woken up by the people walking and in the bed upstairs at 6.30. Breakfast was over priced and dry as a bone clearly been there for a while. Not a relaxing time.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you taking time to post your comments following your recent stay with us. Like you I am very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction and experience.

I shall respond to you directly once I have had an aooportunity to investigate fully.

Once again my apologies.

Michael Williams

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is an ideally placed hotel on the edge of the town. Once you've navigated the narrow driveway in your car to access the car park, you are faced with a beautiful hotel in beautiful grounds. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The food is extremely delicious and very good value for money. There is also a regular train service to Oxford allowing you to get the best of both Oxford and Banbury.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
WhatleyHall, Front Office Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for your great review of your recent stay here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury. I am very happy to read you enjoyed both the hotel and the area. I appreciate your kind words on our staff and Food and Beverage services which confirms we are on the right track to get more satisfied guests in our Mercure Whately Hall Hotel.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Once again many thanks.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com