“Excellent Customer Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Derby
“Excellent Customer Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I think the thing that most stood out during our stay here was the fantastic customer service from all staff. We were wished a good morning, afternoon and evening by everyone we saw throughout the hotel. The staff on reception acknowledged all guests immediately, explaining that they’d be with you in just a minute if they were already dealing with another guest. The service at breakfast was attentive without being over familiar, with no request being too much trouble and ever flowing tea, coffee and toast. I hope the hotel manager sees this and passes on these comments to all staff, as I know from experience that all too often people only bring negatives to the management’s attention.

The hotel is situated in the centre of Banbury, with a selection of restaurants, bars, shops and the bus and railway stations only a short stroll away. It offers free car parking at the rear of the hotel, located through a hole in the walls.

Our room was on the top floor in the new part of the building and had views over the gardens and park. The room itself was spacious, light and like the rest of the hotel, faultlessly clean. It had a king sized or maybe super king – it was huge – bed and offered a separate sitting area with sofas, arm chairs and a desk. There was a large tv cabinet, flat screen tv and under it a fridge, with complimentary spring waters. There was a kettle and wide selection of teas, coffees, hot chocolate and flapjack. The bathroom was spacious with a selection of toiletries, shampoo, shower gel, shower cap, etc refreshed daily.

Considering this is a 3 star hotel we were very impressed. There were only a few things that prevented it getting a 5 star rating – The table we sat at during breakfast had large areas of peeling and missing laminate and the edges of this were sharp, the water on one morning was only just warm enough even on the highest temperature (I think it was high demand at that time as it was fine the next day) and although the hotel was impeccably clean it was tired looking and some of the bedroom décor could do with an update.

We would happily stay here again and would recommend it to others wishing to visit Banbury or Oxford (only a 20 min train journey). Due to the nature of the building it may not be suitable for those with mobility issues as there are many steps up and down, even when using the lift.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for your fantastic review of our hotel following your stay here with us.

I will certainly pass on your very kind comments to all of the team here as they will be very happy to know that they gave you such an enjoyable stay . We have taken note of your comments regarding the restaurant tables and now cover them with table cloths. I am very sorry about the water temperature and note your comment about the condition of the decoration and we are on a constant path of refurbishment so hopefully should you chosse to stay with us in the future you will see even more improvements.

Once again thank you very much for your review it is very much appreciated.

Michael Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have to be honest and say that I find judging this hotel very difficult. We did not eat in the restaurant and used the hotel for two nights as we were meeting old friends in Banbury. When I was young this always looked as the place to go, so may be I was expecting more. If we had to stay in Banbury again; we would choose this hotel, but primarily for the central location. Ok and or utilitarian is probably the best I can do. But it is not a negative review.

Room Tip: The small Thai restaurant down parsons street was very good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting you thoughts on our hotel after your stay with us, I hope that next time you come and stay with us you choose to dine with us and and we can alter your views on our hotel, but I am pleased to see that you would choose us again if you were in the area.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Mumbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel looks really lovely from the outside. We were put in a room in the old wing at first but asked to be moved as it was a bit shabby. The new room was ok but again, tired furniture. The bathroom needed clean behind the door, hair and dirty tiles. Only one shower product for 2 people, no complimentry shampoo etc. The bar was not an "inviting" place to have an aperitif, quite dismal.
Breakfast was good, very nice waitress, pleasant and helpful. It could be a nice hotel, but in my opinion needs an upgrade.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you were disappointed with yor stay here, we are constantly decorating our rooms and I apologise that your initial room was looking tired. I will address your comments about the cleanliness of the bathroom and lack of amenties with the houskeeping team as that is clearly not acceptable, but thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. I will also speak with the Food and Beverage Manager about the bar area.

Once again my apologies for any inconvieniece caused but I do hope that youwill give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel has a lot of caracter, specially being built originally many centuries ago, the rooms were perfect for me and the family with a nice sofa bed and a lounge area within the room. the bathroom was nice and clean with all the amenities.
The restaurant was also old and full of caracter, we did try the eggs benedict for breakfast and they were delicious, the kids also had plenty of cereals, yoghurts, cheese, ham, juices, etc....
During the evening we did stay in and we grab a drink at the bar, where an open fire place was on.
During my stay, James the Waiter and Thomas the Receptionist really helped with my family needs and put up with my 2 kids.
All in all fantastic relaxing stay at the Mercure Banbury - Thank You

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite, it was really good and big.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post you lovely comments following your families Easter break with us and I am very happy that you all enjoyed yourselves so much. Especially thank you for your lovely words about James and Thomas, I will be sure to pass your comments onto them.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mercure Whately Hall in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Thank you for another great stay :) we often stay at hotels within the Mercure group and yours is one of my favourites. Yet again we enjoyed staying in room 41. Check in was a pleasure, dinner was also a hit, we ate in the bar again which suits us - the steak was very good.

After a faultless nights sleep, we enjoyed a lovely freshly cooked breakfast, I spotted chef a number of times popping out to check that the food was as it should be and topping up where required.

Can't wait to come and stay again soon. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments following your recent stay here with us, I am glad to hear we are one of your favourites !

I am happy to know that you enjoyed your accommodation and all of your meals with us and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Once again, many thanks

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 1.30pm and they checked us straight in and have us a free upgrade in the new part with a view of the gardens. Staff are excellent very friendly and helpful. Room was a good size very clean and had everything you would need for a stay. Only problem the room was a bit hot but opening the window sloved this problem! Location is perfect right in the town centre. I would recommend this hotel for a trip to Banbury or Bicester . Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely comments that you posted after your stay here with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves, I am sorry that the room was too hot, it can be difficult in such a large building to get the temperature to suit all of our guests, but I am glad that you made it comfortable by opening the window.

Once again many thanks I look forward to being able to welcome you again in the future.

East Anglia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a nice hotel with friendly staff and a good restaurant with quality food. The rooms are a bit of a lottery depending on where you get put. If you end up in the old part of the hotel the acoustics are pretty good and it is quiet although the rooms can be a bit dark. If you end up in the new bit of the hotel the rooms are too hot and the acoustics are awful. I got woken by a neighbouring customer and had to endure a 20 minute mobile phone conversion of pure drivel (where I could hear every word) because there was a door between the adjoining rooms. As I had to get up before 6am this disrupted my sleep.

Room Tip: Not room 87!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ECEB
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following one of your stays here with us, I appreciate your comments about the team here and the food, I am very sorry for the disturbance you encountered, should you choose to stay with us in the future please feel free to contact us in advance and request a room in the older part of the hotel where the walls are much thicker.

Once again my apologies for the disturbance and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you here again.