“A little disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Poole, United Kingdom
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel looks really lovely from the outside. We were put in a room in the old wing at first but asked to be moved as it was a bit shabby. The new room was ok but again, tired furniture. The bathroom needed clean behind the door, hair and dirty tiles. Only one shower product for 2 people, no complimentry shampoo etc. The bar was not an "inviting" place to have an aperitif, quite dismal.
Breakfast was good, very nice waitress, pleasant and helpful. It could be a nice hotel, but in my opinion needs an upgrade.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you were disappointed with yor stay here, we are constantly decorating our rooms and I apologise that your initial room was looking tired. I will address your comments about the cleanliness of the bathroom and lack of amenties with the houskeeping team as that is clearly not acceptable, but thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. I will also speak with the Food and Beverage Manager about the bar area.

Once again my apologies for any inconvieniece caused but I do hope that youwill give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Michael Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel has a lot of caracter, specially being built originally many centuries ago, the rooms were perfect for me and the family with a nice sofa bed and a lounge area within the room. the bathroom was nice and clean with all the amenities.
The restaurant was also old and full of caracter, we did try the eggs benedict for breakfast and they were delicious, the kids also had plenty of cereals, yoghurts, cheese, ham, juices, etc....
During the evening we did stay in and we grab a drink at the bar, where an open fire place was on.
During my stay, James the Waiter and Thomas the Receptionist really helped with my family needs and put up with my 2 kids.
All in all fantastic relaxing stay at the Mercure Banbury - Thank You

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite, it was really good and big.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post you lovely comments following your families Easter break with us and I am very happy that you all enjoyed yourselves so much. Especially thank you for your lovely words about James and Thomas, I will be sure to pass your comments onto them.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mercure Whately Hall in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Thank you for another great stay :) we often stay at hotels within the Mercure group and yours is one of my favourites. Yet again we enjoyed staying in room 41. Check in was a pleasure, dinner was also a hit, we ate in the bar again which suits us - the steak was very good.

After a faultless nights sleep, we enjoyed a lovely freshly cooked breakfast, I spotted chef a number of times popping out to check that the food was as it should be and topping up where required.

Can't wait to come and stay again soon. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments following your recent stay here with us, I am glad to hear we are one of your favourites !

I am happy to know that you enjoyed your accommodation and all of your meals with us and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Once again, many thanks

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 1.30pm and they checked us straight in and have us a free upgrade in the new part with a view of the gardens. Staff are excellent very friendly and helpful. Room was a good size very clean and had everything you would need for a stay. Only problem the room was a bit hot but opening the window sloved this problem! Location is perfect right in the town centre. I would recommend this hotel for a trip to Banbury or Bicester . Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2013
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely comments that you posted after your stay here with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves, I am sorry that the room was too hot, it can be difficult in such a large building to get the temperature to suit all of our guests, but I am glad that you made it comfortable by opening the window.

Once again many thanks I look forward to being able to welcome you again in the future.

East Anglia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a nice hotel with friendly staff and a good restaurant with quality food. The rooms are a bit of a lottery depending on where you get put. If you end up in the old part of the hotel the acoustics are pretty good and it is quiet although the rooms can be a bit dark. If you end up in the new bit of the hotel the rooms are too hot and the acoustics are awful. I got woken by a neighbouring customer and had to endure a 20 minute mobile phone conversion of pure drivel (where I could hear every word) because there was a door between the adjoining rooms. As I had to get up before 6am this disrupted my sleep.

Room Tip: Not room 87!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ECEB
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following one of your stays here with us, I appreciate your comments about the team here and the food, I am very sorry for the disturbance you encountered, should you choose to stay with us in the future please feel free to contact us in advance and request a room in the older part of the hotel where the walls are much thicker.

Once again my apologies for the disturbance and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you here again.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at a few Mercure Hotels through the UK on business and have always found them to be very good , but this stay was for a get together with friends. We were upgraded to a bigger room on arrival with a separate lounge area which gave us more space. The rooms were clean and well equipped. Would definately stay again and highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Following on from your recent stay with us here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel and I would like to say thankyou for your positive comments regarding your stay and am very pleased that you would choose to stay with us again in the future.

Once again, many thanks

Michael Williams

Travelers are raving about these Banbury hotels

Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked this hotel as part of the tesco voucher offer and have to say that all the staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. When we checked in we were given a choice of rooms either in the new part or the old part, we chose the old part and have to say its one of the biggest hotel rooms we stayed in, with a lovely view over the gardens and very clean.

At breakfast there was a very good choice of hot and cold buffet and once again nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

The location of the hotel is brilliant only a few mintues walk into town and to the train station, there are also plenty of places to eat very close by.

I am already looking to book up again and will be recommending this to my friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review that you posted after your recent stay with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed both your accommodation and breakfast so much, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments regarding the team to them, and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mercure Whately Hall in the future.