Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here Dec 1st, the reception area is very nice, and check in was quick and efficient and very friendly and detailed, we were given a great room at the front of the old hotel overlooking the town, very impressive large room, very clean and well furnished. There is plenty of parking at the rear of the hotel, very convenient. We asked at the front desk about Banbury and things to do, we were given a detailed map and lots of hints on good places to eat etc. We were also offered a breakfast special rate which was well priced but declined as we were setting off early. The hotel is in the perfect location for a night out in historic Banbury, great old pubs and restaraunts within easy walking distance. We did not eat at the hotel but the dining room looked very nice. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definately stay again if I can.

Room Tip: Main building overlooking the street
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cryyzac
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am really happy to read your posting following your stay with us here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel, Banbury. Thank you for posting the lovely phographs too. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and the view over the town, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you again should you be in the area.

Once again many thanks,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had booked this hotel using Avios vouchers for a milestone birthday and wanted to go somewhere not too far from home but special. After booking my partner phoned the hotel to ask for a room at the rear of the hotel as some of the reviews said there were better views and it would be quieter.
The front desk staff were fantastic and could not do too much to help, especially as we managed to leave our voucher at home. When we got to our room we had been given a suite which was in the older part of the hotel. It was a little chilly but with the outside temperatures at -4 it would take some heating to cut through that especially as the older part has original windows and thick stone walls. The creaky floorboards added to the character of the room!
Breakfast was plentyful and the staff again very pleasant and attentive. Parking was only a problem due to the snow and the narrow entrance but the staff phoned the council to allow us to park out the front so very considerate to us and the other guests.
Location is great with the main shopping street less than 5 minutes away. We can't comment on the resturant as there are so many places to eat in town we went there instead.
This is the second Mercure we have stayed in which is of this style and I have to disagree with previous reviewers. I don't want to stay in a boring clone hotel so I liked the olde worlde charm of it.
A big thank you to all of the staff, especially Hayley on the front desk who really went out of her way to help.

Room Tip: Suites are lovely!
2  Thank Metnel

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel, Banbury. I am so glad that we gave you such an enjoyable stay and it is great for the team and myself to receive such positive comments. I am very happy that we managed to arrange parking for you and that you found the charachter of the hotel to your liking.

Once again many thanks for your fabulous comments and I hope we are able to welcome you here or at one of our other hotels soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kat1503

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Spent a lovely night at the historical Whateley Hall. Staff were attentive and pleasant. We had a beautiful, huge room in the old wing overlooking the gardens with a large bathroom.Breakfast was excellent and plentiful. We had dinner in the hotel and both my partner and i could not critisize the food. The only negative is that the dining room was very cold and the ambient lighting could have been better to provide a better dining experience, however this is just a small point. Overall i would definitely recommend this hotel especially a its central position in Banbury means that you are ideally placed to explore the town and surrounding areas. Thank you to all the staff and management for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the old part
1  Thank Penny L
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review after your stay with us this weekend at Mercure Whately Hall, Banbury. I am so glad that you enjoyed your accommodation and meals so much and I look forward to being able to welcome you here again.

Once again many thanks,

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Being a 'Hall' and looking grand on the outside I expected a grand hotel. Unfortunately this was not the case. The staff were lovely but the hotel itself is in desperate need of a refurb. The carpets were worn, and it is filled with dark matt wood and very dull decor which looks like it needs a clean/ varnish and very tired.

The floor boards were very creaky too which didn't bode well for a decent sleep. (I think that's a trait of Mercure hotels being the 2nd one I've stayed at with this problem).

Also the car part is through a very tight space, fine if you have a car but anything wider than an average family car will struggle to get through the cut out in the building and you may have to pay for the car park at the front of the hotel.

I was here for 2 days on business, and the first morning I was awoken by the fire alarm at 6.30, which I can only presume was a false alarm. There were no staff in sight to direct people to either the assembly point or back to the rooms whichever was appropriate. Myself and the other guests made the assumption that it was a false alarm and went back to the rooms. Other than this, the service was excellent, at the lobby/ reception and in the dining room for lunch in the mornings. We ate out both nights so can't review the food, but I wouldn't stay here again I'm afraid.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us and I am very sorry that we did not manage to meet your expectations, however thank you very much for your kind words about our staff.

The main part of the hotel is still very traditional reflecting our 17th Century roots with the wood and panelling. Areas of the hotel are undergoing refurbishment and decoration since November last year with 30 bedrooms completed so far and more to come.
Most vehicles can get into the car park with the exception of lorries or high vans, although sometimes it can be tight we haven't had a car that couldn't get in yet....

Unfortunatly a guest did activate the fire alarm at 6.30am and we did have a full evacuation, I am sorry that we did not see you outside but my Front Office Manager went around the hotel and the assemeby point a few times informing guests when it was safe to return to the hotel, I hope you understand that we have to take the precaution of evacuating for the safety of our guests but am sorry for any inconvienience caused.

Once again thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Whately Hall has so much going for it, that it will not take a lot to achieve even better reviews. We stayed for two nights in the old part of the hotel. Yes, the floors creak, but that adds to the experience. This was a minor downside to a fabulous large room with King Size very comfortable bed, stone fireplace and an old access to the priest's escape staircase. Staying in the modern part of the hotel would change the experience I suspect.
The reception staff are excellent and work hard in an efficient and pleasant manner to enhance guests' experience - Liam is particularly good and went out of his way to provide historical information and other helpful advice and service. The restaurant staff are attentive and charming in their approach - a combination of natural persona and good training which is a credit to the management, and encourages guests to return in future. The food quality at evening dinner was excellent.
The niggles were: no Sauvignon Blanc or Merlot wines two nights running (but another more expensive wine was offered at the same price), no fish on the breakfast menu on Monday morning - but the staff made special effort to procure for the next day, then the muesli ran out at breakfast with no more available! Finally, why in an area of great real ales is John Smith's Extra Smooth the best that can be achieved - probably Mercure company policy! Well in that case if you like real ale, I you will have to stay elsewhere!!
For us, the hotel two night deal was a good one - the receptionist had told us about the Travel Zoo offer when we popped in November, but we couldn't find it on the web and booked direct at great value. There are plenty of reasons for this hotel to be successful in challenging times, witness the limited use of the restaurant: a lot of guests were missing out if they ate elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the old part of the hotel, but beware the creaky floors!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
WhatleyHall, Front Office Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very happy to read your recent review of the Whately Hall Hotel. I am very proud that all the members of staff especially Liam went above and beyond to make your stay special.

I have spoken to the necessary Managers regarding your restaurant experience as this is not our normal standard of service running out of items

I hope to welcome you to the Whately Hall Hotel in the future

Hayley Smith
Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Went for a 2 night break, booked through Travel Zoo on between Christmas and New Year. Excellent Staff, nice room in the old part of the hotel, can't comment on the ugly, 70's part of the hotel. Only paid £150 for Bed, Breakfast and Dinner on the first Night with a free bottle of wine, which was excellent value as the buffet breakfast was very good, and our three course evening meal was superb. If we could get the same deal, then we would have no hesitations at staying there again. Oh yes, by the way, the cinema is right next door - perfect for evening entertainment without any effort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the hotel, creaky floor boards and wonky floors add character to t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your stay with us here at Mercure Whately Hall, Banbury. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourselves, we will try and keep our guests updated of any similar offers and hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.