“Interesting, comfortable and traditional hotel”

Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Banbury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Suffolk UK
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel is old and has character. The beds are comfortable and the showers work. Perfect. The staff here are excellent, if a little over enthusiastic ("Is everything OK?" - 7 times during the meal). Despite this they were genuinely interested, not just going through the motions. They were extremely helpful both on the phone when booking and when we were at the hotel. We wanted a refurbished room and that was guaranteed before we arrived. The dinner was superbly presented, with the exception of the watercress dressing on the starter which I think was well on its way to watercress heaven. Although I was a little disappointed with the choice of dishes and also the Beef and Ale pie (it looked commercially produced), my wife's fish dish was excellent. Both were very tasty, and the starters and deserts were very enjoyable. Unlike a previous reviewer, we found the breakfast to be very good (including the black pudding) and it was all being refreshed on a regular basis. The coffee was the typical Accor hotel group mud, though.

Downsides - Our room was too dim to read in, even with all the lights on, and there was no room to put our cases away. The secondary security lock on the door didn't work, although there was a small chain.

Value - This was a Travelzoo mid-week deal and overall worth the £99 per night for a double room, dinner with wine and breakfast for two. On closer inspection you might query some aspects of the value. The dinner was offered as "worth £25 per person" or "a £25 allowance per person" depending on who you spoke to. None of the menus showed any prices (other than the £6 supplement for steak), so you couldn't really use the £25 as an allowance. The free bottle of wine was "worth £17". Sorry, it's not even close to that, even at restaurant prices. Your only choice is red or white. It was Italian and as far as I can see unlisted with any wine company in Europe. Generic,re-labelled? (D'Vigne) 12% Italian Cabinet Sauvignon which tasted more like a Chianti/Valpolicella blend. The red was light and drinkable, nothing more. According to the next table, the white wasn't drinkable and they left their bottle. As far as I could see, neither wine was listed on the hotel wine list or any other published wine list the hotel group has. I would rather have a lower real allowance than be fobbed off with low grade wine as it doesn't do the food justice.

The main thing is that we enjoyed our stay but I wouldn't want to do this deal for more than one night. The staff and food presentation get it the 4 stars.

Room Tip: Reserve a refurbished room before arrival.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review following your stay here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I really appreciate your positive comments about our team here and a lot of the aspects of your stay. I note your comments regarding the areas of your stay with us that disappoibted you and will address those areas as appropriate. But overall I am glad you enjoyed your tiem with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Stevenage England
Reviewed November 24, 2012

One night mid week deal with Travelzoo was very good value despite being allocated a room not yet refurbished. All the staff spoke good English and were welcoming and well trained. Parts of the hotel date back to 1632 which does make it a bit of a rabbit warren but adds to the character. Our evening meal was superb and deserved 2 red rosettes. However, parts of the hot breakfast looked hours old, tired and congealed and should have been replenished more often or replaced.
Cold plates in the plate warmer.
It was not obvious that anyone was in charge of the breakfast room.
The Banbury cakes were absent but came when requested.

Room Tip: We were in the 'new block' and had a quiet room overlooking the garden side and the windows...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you found our staff to be welcoming and well trained. I am sure our chef will be over the moon with your comments regarding the evening meal. Naturally I am disappointed that your breakfast experience was not up to our normally high standards and I will address this with my Food and Beverage Manager.

Once agin many thanks

england
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed here only for one night but would of happily stayed another from the reception staff through to the dinning staff and the very freindly barman hats off to you i dont like naming names as you all know who you are (we Stayed in room 40-21st nov 1 night ) each and every one of you are truly perfesional chatty and imformative.We stay often at the celtic manor in wales 5 star very exspensive but i would recomend they send there staff to your hotel for some customer training . This was booked via tzoo (travel zoo) which is great value the food on offer is more than enough choice the steak carries a supplement £6.00 which is CLEARLEY MARKED ON THE MENU. it does make me smile as another diner coulnd understand this and was refusing to pay baring in mind the deal was exceptional after all .Any way we would stay again maybe in a bigger room and poss over christmas .Points to consider the entrance is verynarrow but slow and steady is the best way barrier on exit troublesome apart fromthat first time in a mercure hotel and all staff are a credit to the hotel and the brand 5 stars ...........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your "excellent" review of our hotel following your stay with us here at Mercure Whataley Hall Hotel, Banbury. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay with Mercure so much and that you enjoyed the package that you booked. Your comments about my team are fantastic and I will be sure to pass them around

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mercure Whately Hall in the future.

Kind Regards,

UK
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I took a group for a weekend at Whately Hall. The staff were amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is old and full of character. There is also a more modern part at the back where the bedrooms are in the middle of being refurbished. The car park at the back is accessed by a narow entrance. We put our wing mirrors in! It is an easy walk across the road to the shopping area and the museum by the canal.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are subject to the clock opposite chiming regularly and late night revellers goin...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank UkMarkm
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your weekend here with your group, it is always great for the team to receive such positive comments. I am really glad that everything was good for you and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mercure Whately Hall Hotel, Banbury. I do hope that you are enjoying a well deserved rest after the weekend of organisation

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

we used to stay at the whately hall hotel quite regular a few years ago and loved it, however on this visit the first room we booked into was terrible no tea/coffee or soap as you would expect and the shower was so dirty my wife refused to use it.
we complained to reception and was given another room, this was much better until the toilet flush broke i have a medical condition which means i have to use the toilet a lot. this was friday night sat morn we reported this to reception and thought it would be dealt with at some point during the day....no it wasnt so again went to reception and was told there was no one on site to fix it....the tv ariel link cable was broken which i fixed myself...
in summary
first room dirty 2nd room had to fix the tv ourselfs and spent the weekend filling the rubbish bin with water to flush the toilet...
and on a £400 bill was offered a £20 discount !!!!!!
i can safely say we will never stay there again

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of your recent stay and I would like to offer my sincere apologies that your stay did not match our normal high levels of service that we pride ourselves upon offering.

I am investigating your comments and will come back to you directly

Once again my deepest apology and I will be touch with you personally once I have spoken to the team members concerned.

Regards

Michael Williams

Travelers are raving about these Banbury hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Mercure for one night with work colleagues and found it to be a lovely hotel with a unmistakable charm. The building is grand and impressive, the entrance is warm and inviting and the staff are friendly and attentive -a great first impression that didn't disappoint. It's an old building so perhaps unsurprisingly the corridors are a little rabbit-warren like and look very similar! However my double room was spacious, well equipt and spotless. The bar was very intimate and the bar staff were really accommodating -opening up again to serve us a nightcap when we got back from a nearby pub! Breakfast is a must -freshe fruit, pastries, full english, the works. Overall a great hotel which made for an enjoyable first ever visit to Banbury.

• Stayed November 2012
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay with us and and I am so happy that your first impressions of "grand and impressive" did not disappoint. I am glad that your bedroom was nice too and that the staff were so accommodating to yourself and collegues, and that you enjoyed out ample breakfast offer.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mercure Whatley Hall in the future.