“Overnight in Banbury Mercure”

Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Banbury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Abersoch,
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Posters around the hotel tell you it is being renovated. Not sure if our suite had been renovated. There was certainly a pronounced smell of fresh paint in our suite and the unit containing the television was being assembled as we arrived. The central heating radiators were incapable of being turned off, resulting in the windows having to be left open. Some of the bathroom tiles appeared to have been replaced but, around the bath/shower, they were bulging, cracked and affected by mould growth.
It is a well situated hotel with loads of character and a good English breakfast. The staff were excellent but the water bottles were not replaced. The kettle lead is not long enough to extend to a unit hence it has to be boiled on the floor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. We are in the process of refurbishing and some of the areas such as your bathroom have still to be done. I am very sorry that the radiator could not be turned off, I was not aware that any of the thermostats were not working. Thank you for the kind words about the team. I will certainly look at the length of the kettle lead as normally they are able to be boiled on the desk surface.
Once again thank you very much for taking the tmime to post your comments.

Lynbrook, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for our trip to Oxford. As most of the hotels in Oxford were expensive during the peak season we decided to stay here for the price and proximity to Oxford. The hotel set in the town of Banbury had a very authentic English feel to it. The bedrooms were on the small side and the bathroom dated but everything was very clean and the staff courteous. What made this such a great hotel was the feeling of authenticity as it was in an old building and even had a ghost that haunts it. There was a lot of dark wood and creaky floors which gave the hotel a traditional feel.The hotel is located within walking distance to pubs and restaurants and there is a Tesco nearby that you can drive to.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elseeyel3
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest
I am so glad you chose to stay with us instead of going to Oxford and very happy that you enjoyed the ambiance of our 17th Century hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind words regarding the team here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel, Banbury.
I do hope that you will chose to stay with us again if you are coming to the area.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just spent a fantastic weekend here with lots of friends as it was.local to my son's wedding.
Really comfortable and an excellent breakfast after a good night's sleep. But what really made it special was the very pleasant and helpful staff, who made you feel that nothing was too much trouble. We had a friend in a wheelchair and they made her stay as easy as possible too although the lift is quite a way from the reception and dining room.
Unfortunately if you are unlucky enough to get through to the call centre instead of the hotel reception the service is not nearly so good

Room Tip: Definitely try and get a ground floor room if you can't manage the stairs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
On behalf of the whole team we are glad that you had such a lovely weekend with us for your sons wedding. I am so happy to receive your comments regarding our pleasant and helpful staff. Unfortunatly due to the age of the building the lift is not ideally located, but I am pleased that the team was able to make your friends stay as easy as possible. I am sorry that you did not find our call centre so good, I will pass your comments onto the team responsible.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mercure Whatley Hall in the future.

Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Rooms and surroundings are tired. But builders are in. Desperately needs refurbishing. But beds are comfortable. Hotel is a bit chilly and cheerless currently, but I got an extra quilt and staff were helpful and professional. Breakfast was very good-vegetarian sausages on offer and nice eggs. Restaurant dinner was excellent-imaginatively cooked and presented and well priced.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, and yes I am pleased to say that the refurbishment of some of our bedrooms has begun ! I am sorry that you found it chilly but very happy that the team were able to offer you an extra duvet. Also, thank you for the lovely comments regarding the meals you ate with us, I will be sure to pass on your comments to the Kitchen team.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Whately Hall Hotel.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

You can tell that in its heyday this hotel was quite something. The rooms are being decorated but my room was noisy with paper thin walls and reeked of paint. Cold room was down to the boiler tripping which the staff rectified very promptly. The breakfast was uninspiring and service slow; the restaurant manager appeared more interested in going walkabout rather than supporting his staff. The chickens must have really upset the the chef to cause him/her to do that to the scrambled eggs!
I would recommend this hotel but with some reservations. When the decorating is complete and the breakfast team a little sharper, then you cant fault this hotel for setting and charm. Polite and friendly staff

Room Tip: Avoid newly painted rooms!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to revew your recent stay with us and I am so sorry that in some aspects we failed to deliver our usually high standards of service. Please be assured that I will be dealing with the food and beverage team regarding the quality of service and the eggs.

I am also sorry that the smell of paint was so prevelent, the contractors should of finished earlier than they did.

But thank you for your kind words regarding the team, I will be sure to pass on your comments onto them

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to enjoy a genuine hassle free stay.

England
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We spent one night at Whately Hall Hotel, and were very pleased with our visit.

The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was in the ‘newer’ part of the hotel and had nice views over the gardens. It was well appointed with en-suite bathroom, large TV, fridge and comfortable bed.

We did not have breakfsat so unable to comment.

Others may pick fault with very minor issues but booking in advance, we had a really good deal so how could we not be happy staying here?

We look forward to staying at on our next visit to Banbury.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review following your recent stay here at Mercure Whatley Hall Hotel, Banbury. I will be sure to pass your comments about the team onto them.

I am glad your accommodation was comfortable and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Banbury.