All reviewscar parknarrow entrancemurder mysterynewer partold buildingreception staffcentral locationcreaky floorboardsexecutive roomhotel is lovelyeggs benedictchurch bellsan upgradewedding receptionpubs and restaurantsstaff were excellentenjoyable stay
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Have not stayed yet but have booked for December 2012!
I visited your hotel a few weeks ago. I asked Reception if they would be able to show me various rooms and suites before I book.
I explained to him that we were looking for something special as our wedding day last year, the groom was very ill and we ended up in hospital and missing most of our wedding!
We wanted to stay here after our marriage blessing this year. The overall look of the hotel is impressive
After I explained what happened, he gave us several keys to rooms he thought were special in the hotel. He was unable to show us round due to be the only person on Reception, but was more than happy for me to go and look myself.
The first room I looked in was the room I booked that day with him. It is a large suite, very modern and fresh looking
Overall I just wanted to say the service of the man on Reception was outstanding. Not only was he trusting of me to go on my own, he was also very kind and professional
Looking forward to staying with you this year

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hellsbells256
WhatleyHall, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Wow.. thankyou so much for your very kind words regarding my Receptionist, he is over the moon that he made such an impact on you, and I look forward to welcoming you here on your stay with us.

Once again many thanks

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed at the Whately Hall Hotel as part of a murder-mystery weekend so room, dinner, breakfast and even tea and cakes were all included in the price. It was very reasonable for what we got and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly (esp James for whom nothing was too much trouble). A friend was celebrating a birthday and I'd made a cake which was brought in furtively at the appropriate time (no quibbles about bringing in our own cake and if we'd asked them to supply a cake they'd have gone out to buy one - plus candles - from M&S!).

Dinner was extremely good and the service excellent. Breakfast vast and also good.

Our room was clean and well-equipped. Our friends upgraded to a family room for an extra £30 and their room was huge with a second room inside with a sofa bed, TV etc where their son slept. Almost palatial!

Only small niggle was that there were glasses left outside a room on our floor and they weren't cleared away until I mentioned it to someone later in the day - probably just forgotten by the cleaning staff.

There's a private car park at the rear but the walk to reception is a fair old way. In fact, getting to our room was a bit confusing - there is a lift but the only way to get to Reception was through a conference room. Fortunately there were no events going on. Not sure how you'd do it if there was a private event.

Really enjoyed out stay. Terrific staff and in the centre of Banbury.

Room Tip: Superior rooms much larger, might be worth it for the cost of an upgrade if you're staying a few nights.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
WhatleyHall, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very happy that you enjoyed your murder mystery stay with us and that all of your meals were so good. I will certainly let James know your comments regarding him, he is a character. I am glad that your room was to your liking and I will certainly speak to housekeeping about the glasses left in the hallway. I note your comments regarding the signage and will see what I can do.

I do hope that will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mercure Whateky Hall in the future

Kind Regrds

Reviewed April 21, 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is lovely hotel but I feel it is more for special occasions than a business trip.

The staff are wonderful but a bit too "uptight" and formal when you are looking for a "home from home" on a business trip

The menue lookd great but, again, more special occasion orientated than an eat in every night "attraction"

All in all it was a pleasant stay but not what I look for when living away from home.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
WhatleyHall, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I am very happy that you feel the staff are wonderful I will be sure to pass on your comments, howveer I am very sorry to hear your other comments regarding them, we always try to get a good balance between friendly and professional, so it is certainly an area that I can look at.

I do hope that should you ever be looking for a hotel for a special occasion that you will think of us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Our stay of one night could not have been more pleasant. A lovely hotel, very convenient and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Excellent. We will go back again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LMMBirmingham
WhatleyHall, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear Guest
On behalf of the team here at Merure Whately Hall I would like to thank you for your lovely review of our hotel and I am very pleased that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whately Hall Hotel when you are next in the area.

Kind Regards