“Whately Hall hotel, Banbury”

Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The room was comfortable but access might be a little difficult for the infirm. I was conscious of conversations in the adjoining room when trying to sleep. Car parking was at a premium even though there was a large carpark it was pretty full and it was not entirely clear whether I was parking on hotel property or that belongingto the cinema. Access is quite narrow and to be approached slowly. I was clearly not the first person to clip the wall with my wing mirror. Restaurant menus looked reasonable but £15 for breakfast seems expensive when we probably only wanted cereal and toast. Conveniently placed in the town centre.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Mercure Whatley Hall Hotel. We do have different styles of rooms some of which are suitable for anyone with mobility difficulities. I do note your comments about the parking and will look at clearer signage. Also if you do just wish for a lighter breakfast then please do ask a member of the team and they will be happy to offer you cereal and toast and charge accordingly as we appreciate a full English breakfast is not for everyone.
Once again thank you fro sharing yor comments and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whatley Hall in the future.
Kind Regards
Michael Williams, General Manager

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I chose this hotel as it was near to town and next to the banbury cross,i stayed for one night as i was attending a school reunion,i checked prices online and i only paid £49 for my room.
It has on site parking at the rear,a lovely garden plenty of character features nice wood panelled rooms wooden beams big fireplaces etc,decent sized tv in the room all the staff where friendly,i really liked the hotel apart from the grim looking 70's extension out the back,i cannot comment on the food as i could only manage a pot of tea in the morning (self inflicted).
I would definately stay again if i was in the area,if anything 'gripe wise' the mattress was quite lumpy and had a bit of a 'dip' in it and could have done with changing and the carpet in my room had some stains on it whatever they where? other than that all good in my opinion it was a cheap room for the night. oh and it is supposed to be haunted aswell but i didnt see any ghosts during my stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. maybe our resident ghost will put in an appearance for you!

Kind regards, Michael Williams, General Manager

Reviewed October 28, 2011

We went as a short break to visit Oxford and Stratford, so Banbury was pretty much in the middle. The hotel is a very impressive looking building. Very old coaching inn with lots of wood-pannelling. However, it is not at all stuffy - the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The room was very good in terms of size and facilities for the amount we paid. The breakfast was excellent. And Banbury is not only a good base for touring, but is also a sizeable town with its own attractions.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

I moved to the UK last month and stayed here for 11 nights. The hotel is very run down and the room smelled like stale cigarette smoke. None of the bar fridges work. The room was so dusty you could see dust in the air, we had to make a request for them to vacuum the furniture. The mattress was very old and lumpy. The bathroom smelled like mildew. The customer service was terrible. None of the doors locked at night and it feels very unsafe, especially when you're coming in from the side door that leads to the car park. I would never recommend this hotel to anybody. Also if you're not familiar with Banbury, it is a very grim town, avoid if possible.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank n m
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for three nights. Our room was in the newer part of the hotel and was comfortable and very clean, although it could perhaps have done with having the paintwork freshened up (a few chips here and there). However, the layout of the room was very good and the housekeeping was excellent. The bathroom was full size and immaculately clean. Toiletries were replaced and towels were white and soft.

The room was hot, but the window opened fully and a fan was provided, so we managed OK. The bed was large and very comfortable with excellent bedding.

The television was a large screen and worked well.

We did not eat in the hotel because there are so many restaurants and pubs in Banbury that we went out each night. We felt that breakfast was a bit overpriced at £15,50 per person, as we do not eat a full breakfast. We managed by buying what we needed at the local shop as there was a small fridge provided in the room.

We will certainly stay at this hotel again because we enjoyed our comfortable stay very much.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Banbury. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Whately Hall Hotel

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I was attending an office reception not far from this hotel and as I was running late I dumped my bag in my room, shut the door and left. It was only much later on my return that I realised this room was well past its sell by date. The room in question was number 71. On route from reception to the room you get the feeling this is a very unloved hotel. The staircase upto the room was threadbare on the stair edges and very worn. The room itself had a chest of draws with a tv on it but the top of the chest was chipped and bubbled in a fairly larg surface area. The ceiling above the shower had a nice ring of rusty brown and the bathroom door and bath sides were chipped and in poor repair. some of the bulbs in the room had blown and generally felt neglected. For £79 this was not reasonable and had I seen these faults earlier I would have complained. After our dinner at the excellent nearby tandoori we returned to the hotel for a nightcap and on entering the bar were blown backwards by the sulphuric egg smell from behind the bar area. God knows what it was but we ended up outside in the cold fresh air!!

I took photos on the mobile of the room faults as I don't make spurious allegations and I suggest you ask to see your room before you unpack. The staff seemed perfectly reasonable and potentially if someone had some vision this could be a beautiful Hotel, just a shame the current operators don't appear to give a damn about its current state but still want top dollar room rates.

Banbury is beautiful though and well worth a visit.......just stay somewhere else!!

Room Tip: One that overlooks the garden which keeps you on the quiet side.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank LawMan68

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Banbury Whately Hall, I was disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.We appreciate your feedback, as this aids us to ensure we are always moving the business forward and to provide constructive criticism for the owners for future investment.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

We recently booked the Hotel for a leisure weekend. Whilst the room was large and fairly well appointed the hotel is badly let down by the restuarant and service.

The first night while returning to our room we noticed a breakfast tray left out from the morning with left over food and drinks on it in the hallway. The next night at after 10.30 pm there were 4 breakfast tray with left overs in the same place, obviously having been left out all day! I will attach a photo if possible.

The break fast could have been good, but the food is just put out on dishes on a heated table. Some were cold, some dried out and some non existent! I waited for eggs one morning, I asked when staff went past for some. I waited. I was told they would be coming and to sit down. I did and ate my breakfast and after I had finished I was brought an egg on a small plate - too late. We had to ask for tea and toast- an spoons.

First night we decided to stay for dinner in the hotel. Bad mistake! Apart from the slow service we were given a bottle of white wine and it was stood on the table. About 15 minutes laler someone notice and actually brought and ice bucket. We both ordered fillet steak, one medium rare no sauce and one medium with sauce. Of course they were the wrong way round and by the time it was discovered the source had been put on the steak. The chips were out of a the freezer as were the onion rings. The field mushroom looked like it had been run over by a steam roller and a week ago at that. Thank goodness for the VERITAS bistro we found 400 yards from the hotel, which was excellent (and cheaper) with fresh food properly cooked!

We have beem to the Mercure chain in France and I think they should send over some of the thier staff - and definitely chefs!- to show this hotel how to do it!!!.

By the way I did complain and the receptionist said they would allow us a discount next time- what next time!

Room Tip: Ask for th eold room suites
2  Thank Ding-ho