“we had a great time”
Review of Easington House

Easington House
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed June 12, 2011

stayed for a weekend in may, our room was lovely , the staff where helpful as we did not know banbury very well they gave use some great ideas of where to go. The breakfast was very good and we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Easington House

Reviewed May 11, 2011

From the beginning to end the stay was a pleasure, the staff were helpful and knew the area well, the rooms were clean and very nicely decorated and the breakfast delicious and included in the price!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Single room was tiny, no internet connection even in the lounge, small ,small bathroom, minute wardrobe, some TV channels unavailble(ITV .4)
BREAKFAST VERY GOOD

Room Tip: Stay clear of Room 4- other reviews seem concur
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Brackmeg
Reviewed March 29, 2011

This was the most disappointing experience I have ever had at a B&B. The room was allegedly a double but was very small and cold. The room was booked by my colleague at an agreed rate. When I received the bill it showed a rate that was £10 per night more. When I queried it I was told that this was the rate and I should be grateful that I had a double room! I was refused a refund. The attitude of the owner was very poor and there was a complete lack of customer service. This place seems to want mainly business travellers but if if treats its guests like this they won't get them. Banbury is lovely but I would not recommend this B&B to anyone - avoid!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Osicard
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Two couples stayed for 4 nights while vising Silverstone race circuit, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Sure there were creaky floorboards and I had a room at the front, overlooking the road, but neither of these disturbed our sleep. We were greeted in a very friendly manner by all the staff and the rooms were spotless. The ' full English ' breakfast was excellent, well cooked and all the extras too - cereal, grapefruit, fruit juice etc. Anyone who complains about this hotel should also remember the price. If you want the Hilton, then be prepared to pay Hilton prices. We will be back next year !

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We did not experience a great start to our stay at Easington House. We were unfortunately greeted in rather a rude and cold manner by a lady who worked at the guest house. I had organised this weekend away to celebrate my husband's 30th birthday and had chosen this b & b due to it's good reviews, location, the friendliness I had received from the owner over the phone and that we were allowed to bring our dog. Upon arrival we were meeted with 'well that's not a small dog is it!', at which we replied well she is and she definitely isn't a large dog. On which note the lady grumbled about the dog and then shoved the card machine in front of me with the total cost of our stay. I must say at the time I was fuming! I asked if the owner was around and informed that she should be in later or at least should call and I asked if I could speak with her. (This did not happen until we left). Anyway, the lady got the impression I was not happy and made a sort of apology, however the friends and family who had come away with us also said that they did not receive the best welcome and found her to be very rude.

Anyway, our room was very nice, we had the four-poster room and we were very happy with the room. Easington House was on a main road, but we knew this and we did not notice any of the noise, although our friends did and said they did not sleep very well, but we had two lovely nights sleep.

The breakfast we found to be very good indeed, a great selection and better service in the morning (by the same lady in fact).

My husband and I had decided that we would not mention our poor welcome to the owner (if we ever spoke to them) as we just put it down to the fact that we caught the lady at the wrong time and she was a little flustered we think. However, upon check out we asked again (we had asked a few times already) about a refund as our dog only stayed one night not two. We were eventually given the message that we could not have our money back as we were given an upgrade to the four poster room at a heavily reduced rate. Thank you very much I said for the room upgrade, but I did not ask for it. I had just assumed that because they were fully booked and they knew it was for a special occasion and I had brought 8 other people with me it was a gesture of good will. The reply was simply, well we could of sold the rooms anyway. We therefore did inform them of our welcome and the fact that the card machine was thrust in front of us so quickly we didn't have time to check whether the amount we were being charged was right or not, if the total charge would have been explained to us and we wouldn't have been so distracted by our welcome, we would have pointed out the over-charge at the time. In fairness, when my husband did speak to the owner, she did say that she would speak to the lady about our poor welcome, so it should not happen again.

Overall, Easington House is clean, comfortable, in quite a good location, with one friendly member of staff (can't remember her name, but she was there in the evening) and serves a great breakfast. However, I just wish I had known that the dog was to be such an issue, they just should have said 'no' from the onset and we could have stayed at one of the numerous other hotels or guest houses in banbury that allow dogs. I think that they have had some bad experiences with dogs staying there in the past, but they shouldn't judge all their guests' pets on that basis or they should just say 'no' to pets. The fact that this weekend was for a very special occasion and had a lot of planning and preparation go into it, left us feeling a little down at the end of the weekend because of the way we were treated. We travel extensively all around the world, staying in hotels, hostels and guest houses regularly several times a year. In relation to service and customer care, this was definitely the worst experience to date we have ever had we are sorry to say. Maybe we just caught them on a bad weekend, we don't know. Would we go there again...no, would we recommend this to our friends or family...no.
Would I go there again....no, would I recommend this to anyone....no.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Myself and my husband stayed at easington house for 3 nights whilst going to silverstone.
We found the staff very friendly,especialy Debbie, room 3 was quiet, comfortable and spacious,
Only downfall was the shower which was very stiff to turn and awkward to regulate untill you got used to it.
We would defintley go there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple