“Avoid at all costs unless you like being insulted!”
Review of Fabio's - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The restaurant which has changed it's name from 'fabios' to 'bellinis' now was a terrible experience! Although it was quiet inside with 3 couples only we thought we would give a small business a go rather then going to the main chains.
My partner ordered a coke I ordered a apple juice, both priced at £2.50.
As we browsed the menu I look up to see my apple juice being poured. Poured from an Aldi value carton of Apple juice! Right in front of me the owner sees me looking but continues, I thought 'ok just ignore it' however the carton is left on top of the bar for 5 -10 minutes. As i shop in Aldi I know a carton costs around 60p! I received a fairly small glass so would say they were set to make £7.50
from a 60p carton!!! RIPOFF!

I understand there is mark up for restaurants to make money but this is insulting and the owner was bold as brass about it which made me cross! The arrogance of him!

So I'm sitting there boiling a little but trying to overcome it, we order starters I only want a bowl of olives (priced at £3) and then ask for a little bit of bread the waitress tells me it will now be £6.50!! COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! So that was the nail in the coffin (or so I thought) very apologetically I say I'm sorry but I don't want to carry on eating here to the waitress and my partner I explain about the apple juice and we get up to walk out. (The waitress in fairness was sweet)

The owner storms over and threatens to call the police we can't just walk out. We explain customer dissatisfaction and out perogotive. I had not touched my apple juice so did not pay but paid for the half drunk coke. The owner was very aggressive offered no apologies, and rude is not the word. He bustled us out and barred us! (Not that we would ever go back!)

Wow! Really great business skills. In front of the other 6 customers. I doubt he will receive returning custom!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have been twice with a large group of people it must be said. However we pre-ordered to help the staff. The food was cold and some people in the group had to wait over an hour to get their food, while the rest of us ate. When we got the bill it was hand written and just said the total. We had paid large deposit and they were trying to charge us for the full amount and not take the deposit off.

I won’t go again.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

You can usually rely on an Italian restaurant for good, reliable food but not this one the night we visited. Don't know if they were having a bad night (it was very busy) but the food was very disappointing - one of our party ordered pasta, which was very dry. The vegetables were very over cooked. The whitebait tasted very much frozen. The saltimbocca was the worst we've ever had. It wasn't a very good experience and probably the worst Italian food we've ever been served. I hope this was an off night rather than the norm.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Desperate to find a decent vegetarian meal in Banbury we decided to try Fabios. The reviews seemed to be ok, we went with open mind. Hearing shortly before going that it had changed hands but retained the same chef, we were optimistic that the new owner would be keen to impress. Oh how wrong we were.

Walking into a relatively empty restaurant we were told brusquely that they were fully booked. Luckily we had booked so first feeling of customers = inconvenient overcome.

The owner (scruffily dressed & possibly the most disinterested waiter/owner ever met) was rude beyond words. His level of engagment during taking our order was non exsistent. A bottle of wine was also ordered and it was splashed into glasses without any opportunity to try it. When commented upon he sneered, stated it was from his home town (Sicily) and would be fine, as he walked off. Strange that he had a broad midlands accent. Was he in character for being rude/mafioso type? He needed an underlying charm to carry that off - so no then.

Starters were bought quickly and, to be balanced, were all tasty & good sized portions. Then the hope that the restaurant would redeem itself fell flat. As flat as the overcooked, hard as cardboard crepe one of the party had ordered.

The main courses were 3 different choices plus a starter size crepe with side salad. It had to be this way as the veggie options were limited. We suspect that the inept order taking meant that the crepe had been kept warm for a while. Well that's giving it the benefit of the doubt as if it was cooked like that then they've found the solution to potholes. One of the party received the wrong main and it was taken away with no apology. As 3 of us
looked at our food we waited - for the replacement, an apology, anything. The side salad had also been omitted. We waited, we chased. Nothing. Obviously cooked from fresh the pasta arrived and was ok. The side salad - advertised as mixed leaves - was something a poor Little Chef would present. Rubbish. Iceberg and crass chunks of toms/cucumber. The main courses were
tasty and again decent sized portions. The bill was asked for, we were offered complimentary coffee, too little too late. The owner didnt even acknowledge us. It took them 15mins to process the bill, and that was with prompting.

I wanted to write a comprehensive review as it's important that you see the scale of the problems. This restaurant has changed names and owners. The chef is the only chance they have. But you'll need to get through rude , appalling,
inappropriate service first. It's not worth it. If the owner wants customers he needs to recruit staff who care and who can actually do the job. And he needs to take a lesson in business sense, because he will fail if he carets on like this.

One of the most unpleasant experiences we've been subjected to for a very long time.

1  Thank OGandTG
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Service was friendly and prompt, table was clean and well set.

Food was enjoyable, hot plates and decent portions.

Not pricey really. Pleasant, easy dining experience.