“Fantastic”

Sheesh Mahal
Ranked #45 of 192 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Sheesh Mahal is an award-winning Indian restaurant set in the heart of Banbury, Oxfordshire.Offering a memorable and sophisticated dining experience, our chefs are inspired by traditional Indian recipes dating back centuries. We pride ourselves on creating dishes to tempt and reward the taste buds.Led by proprietor Mohammad Khalid, our mission is to provide you with an experience that makes a meal in the Sheesh Mahal an extraordinarily special occasion.Using only the freshest and most authentic ingredients, each meal is an individual work of gastronomic art, capturing the wonderfully vibrant and exquisite flavours of Asia.There is ample free parking available for Sheesh Mahal customers at the back of the restaurant (Crouch Street).
Banbury
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

An excellent place to go to enjoy fantastic food, good service, great atmosphere with very friendly, pleasant staff and not to forget great value. We have takeaways from here nearly every weekend and the food is just as good as eating in the restaurant. We would highly recommend!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank EmmaH36

Banbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Celebrated our anniversary here last week and definitely weren't disappointed! Fantastic food, great service and - as we couldn't finish the big portions - everything was boxed up for us to take home along with some beautiful mango slices. Value for money was fantastic as well - probably one of the cheapest and best meals we've had in Banbury!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ellie N
Banbury, United Kingdom
“poor service”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had booked a table recently for myself partner and 2 friends. I gave around 4 days notice to eating there. When we arrived there was around 3 familys eating and a fair few empty tables.

We was asked to wait so they could make up a table. Whilst waiting we wasnt offered a drink whilst sat next to the bar.

As we finally sat down and given menus we were still waiting to be asked for a drinks order.

About 15 mins later a waiter came over took our order. Then after around 5 mins we got 3 of our drinks with one missing, being told it wasnt ordered.

The food come out very quickly, with all the dishes being crammed onto a small table.

After eating, we was offered fresh mango, not given a menu for desserts which would have been nice as I know some places which have desserts on their menu.

Then before we had time to ressume our conversation, the bill was chucked in front of us. We felt as if we had to go, so we paid our bill amd left.

Would not recommend!

1 Thank 951Adam789
“Another great meal !”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Tried the lamb today. So good.

Also appreciate the amazing generosity of the owner and his staff.

Go, eat and enjoy !

1 Thank JAC1963
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Booked a table for my wife and I on Friday 21st June. I told the owner that I had booked but he just told us he was short staffed and pointed to any old table. We ordered a bottle of wine and some poppadoms. They were OK but the pickles and onion were quite bitter. We were then forgotten about. Finally our order was taken. My wife had a fish dish which she enjoyed. I had a lamb rogan josh which was very bland. Having been left on our own for ages, one of the waiters then appeared, trying to clear my wife's main course before she'd finished. Nan bread nothing special. Wine was nice however - SA Chenin Blanc. The bill was reasonable, but to be honest I've had more memorable food from take-aways. If you like your curry hot tasty and old school, not sure you'd be satisfied. The restaurant was busy however and seems popular. We won't go back however.

1 Thank mjcmoppel
Mohammed K, Owner at Sheesh Mahal, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Having read your comments, I would firstly ask you and your wife to please accept my apologies and secondly would like to extend to you both an invitiation to dine as my guests at The Sheesh Mahal.

Whilst not intending to excuse the below par service you received - I feel that an explanation is due - we were below strength on serving staff members - hence the slow, then rushed table service - with a couple of last minute stand-ins, further stress/workload was placed on the other team members having to help/direct their temporary collegues.

I would also like to give acknowledgment to the fact that your review, as gutting as it was for me to read, was very impartial and objective and I thank you for saying, "The restaurant was busy however and seems popular" - I hope you can, upon seeing the weight of extremely positive reviews we have received that your exeperience of The Sheesh Mahal is by no means commonplace.

I would also like you to know that, whilst you found your Rogan Josh bland in taste, it should have been explianed to you that, as we prepared our own spices, you can have as much of a 'spice kick' as you desire - our reputation has been built on offering authentic indian cuisine - 'Balti' dishes excepting - and therefore our dishes are a more subtle than most.

I will make contact directly through Trip Advisor, to hopefully arrange a suitable date for dinner as my guests at The Sheesh Mahal.

best wishes,