“Wonderful service and food”
Review of Sheesh Mahal

Sheesh Mahal
Ranked #49 of 205 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Sheesh Mahal is an award-winning Indian restaurant set in the heart of Banbury, Oxfordshire.Offering a memorable and sophisticated dining experience, our chefs are inspired by traditional Indian recipes dating back centuries. We pride ourselves on creating dishes to tempt and reward the taste buds.Led by proprietor Mohammad Khalid, our mission is to provide you with an experience that makes a meal in the Sheesh Mahal an extraordinarily special occasion.Using only the freshest and most authentic ingredients, each meal is an individual work of gastronomic art, capturing the wonderfully vibrant and exquisite flavours of Asia.There is ample free parking available for Sheesh Mahal customers at the back of the restaurant (Crouch Street).
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Such a lovely man, the restaurant is clean, bright and good atmosphere. Couldn't do enough to look after me. Food great. Why go anywhere else?!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This really deserves four and a half stars from me.

Lots of plus points: really liked the location, building and setting, the food was tasty and the portions were fair. Some really interesting and lesser-spotted options on the menu. The wine was delicious and I was really impressed it was on the menu- it's from a producer I like but a particular bottle I haven't seen before. Although I didn't end up trying any, I was also impressed that this was the first Indian restaurant I've ever seen with an espresso machine. The staff were friendly and didn't rush us at all.

Only very slight negatives: popadums tasted a bit stale and the naan bread wasn't to my taste, (though my partner liked it). The waiters were a bit 'individual' one kept looking out of the window while talking to us and sometimes just came back and stood near us and looked out of the window- we speculated he was either checking on his car or checking out the restaurant across the road!

2  Thank AlexSwallow
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Well, yet again we have had a superb meal at this excellent restaurant. Mr Khalid grows all his fresh herbs outside the restaurant window and there is a wonderful aroma of rosemary as you walk past.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have eaten in but also had many many delicious take always from sheesh mahal. Would not hesitate to recommend. Fresh, excellent flavours, never oily. Always prompt after ordering & very friendly.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is one of the best Indian restaurants I've been to. The food was full of flavours. We had three very different curries and they were all excellent - good ingredients and spices. The chicken I had was proper chicken breast pieces, and there was lots of it. Definitely not one of your run-of-the-mill Indian restaurants - no greasy, generic gravy, or pilau rice with flecks of food colouring. The food was hands-down, far-and-away better than the take-aways I've had from Voujon across the road - plus it's not decorated like a nightclub! Now I know why this restaurant has stood the test of time. It was early on a Sunday evening when we visited and there were only two tables being used, so not much atmosphere, but the Indian music was better than that in a standard curry house. Prices were very reasonable - maybe a pound or two more than average but it's worth it. The service was friendly and unobtrusive. Will be returning whenever possible!