“Great Take A Way”
Review of Sheesh Mahal

Sheesh Mahal
Ranked #52 of 196 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Sheesh Mahal is an award-winning Indian restaurant set in the heart of Banbury, Oxfordshire.Offering a memorable and sophisticated dining experience, our chefs are inspired by traditional Indian recipes dating back centuries. We pride ourselves on creating dishes to tempt and reward the taste buds.Led by proprietor Mohammad Khalid, our mission is to provide you with an experience that makes a meal in the Sheesh Mahal an extraordinarily special occasion.Using only the freshest and most authentic ingredients, each meal is an individual work of gastronomic art, capturing the wonderfully vibrant and exquisite flavours of Asia.There is ample free parking available for Sheesh Mahal customers at the back of the restaurant (Crouch Street).
Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you are in Banbury and want a more authentic Indian Curry try this place for eating in or take out. Excellent staff, excellent ambience and excellent food. We can not fault it.

Oh and a free large tiger beer with any take a way!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have never been here before and as it does not look like your typical Indian restaurant I went stright passed it at first. On entering my first thought was that it was going to be on the pricey side but this was not the case and the price was average.
We were a sizeable party and sadly the restaurant could not cope with this. The service for drinks was slow and the poppadums arrived without chutney's. When they were requested they were very limited in quantity but were very tasty. When the starter arrived they did not clear away the plates left from the poppadums and instead just put them on top.
The real problem came when the main course arrived some people would get the main and no rice or the rice and no main whereas others had completely finished theirs before others had started so all in all that was a messy affair that the management explained away as a lack of staff. In fairness to them when they were robustly challenged that the meal experience was not good enough they made an appropriate discount to the bill.
Onto the food..........for me personally it was excellent as it hit the spot I like. Whilst I cannot recall the name of the naan bread I had (possibly Kurchi or similar) I will say this was the best naan I have ever eaten. Word of warning to those that don't like their food too hot is that their dishes were on the spicey side. As someone who likes it hot I was ok with this but one of our party had a medium biryani which was too hot for him to eat. I had a taste and agree it was much hotter than medium.
I have rated this restaurant as average which I think is fair for that particular night but I guess the true rating would be if I would go there again and the answer is most certainly yes but next time as a small group.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have had take-aways and eaten at the Sheesh for 20 years and have always found it very good. The food is very tasty and when our children were little they were always very kind and thoughtful to them. The only negative I think is that the resturant lacks any atmosphere which spoils it slightly for us. But apart from that very tasty food.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The outside of this restaurant is it's best feature, once inside it doesn't live up to it's appearance or reputation. The decor is bland and featureless, and there doesn't seem to be any ambience at all. The staff hardly raise expectations, whilst a couple of the younger waiters were reasonably smartly dressed, a couple wouldn't have looked out of place in an East End greasy spoon.
Drinks, as usual in an Indian were expensive.
Naan breads were more like cardboard,and the pilau rice was clumpy and flavourless.
The currys themselves are ok, but not the quality I would expect. In fact, it is fair to say that overall it was of the same standard as a supermarket meal.The meat was dry and chewy, and the sauces had only generic flavours.
The only highlight was the Chicken Tikka, which was very pleasant.

What did stand out was this is the only restaurant that I recall that actually seems to serve food on chilled plates. They weren't even at room temperature.

Maybe living in the Midlands has raised my expectations of Indian food, but an average rating is the best I could give.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Been coming here for many many years, love the place and quite simply the best indian food for miles around. Khalid is always so welcoming and friendly, and the food is excellent - as others reviewers have said, always freshly made, you can really taste all the herbs and spices,
Richard, Jane and Ben