“Lives up to its reputation - booking usually essential!”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #7 of 195 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We're not the most organised couple, so it was our second last minute Sunday evening attempt to get a table at the Red Lion without a booking when we succeeded and re-discovered why this charming rustic pub enjoys such a strong reputation for food. Both waitresses were very professional and enthusiastic about the latest new menu choices. The food arrived with impeccable timing, but not so that we felt rushed and meanwhile we were kept entertained chatting with the barman and the locals. The pheasant and the mixed grilled seafood were absolutely excellent. However, my starter took the favorite - crispy skin risotto balls with ragu on the inside, in a rich tomato sauce. Fun and very tasty. We just wish we'd known to take the dog too!

There are newer reviews for The Red Lion

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Oh my goodness!! The food was not hot so we sent it back. Whatever they used to heat our food up, had burnt my yorkshire pudding!! They did give me two fresh yorkshires, but couldn't understand why they left the burnt one on my plate!! My husband had a giant yorkshire with sausages, which was all way too overcooked resembling bullets and they used smash for mash potato, which looked like slop. Will not be returning!!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have dined at the Red Lion on 2 occasions now and it has been excellent both times. It manages to combine all the virtues of a traditional pub, with good friendly, attentive service and great food.

Certainly the beer is good but the wine list seems sensible too. The menu is not huge but does cater for a variety of tastes. I haven't had the burger and chips but it did look inviting when I saw plates going past me. By contrast, I had a Turbot, which is a real treat these days and I am told that the curry is delicious. It's good to see a range like that.

Everything is clean and tastefully decorated and we certainly hope to make it a regular haunt of ours in the future.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had a mid week lunch here with a group of friends that was excellent and very good value for money. Definitely a place to visit again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This pub used to be fantastic and had an extremely varied menu - including a very interesting specials board. However the menu has now been cut down drastically, and the quality of the food we had today was poor. Both meals were almost cold. The 'gammon steak' was in fact thin slices of gammon/ham rather than a steak. The roast dinner was very average. The best bits were the chips and the gravy which were both nice. The new chef (Bill is no longer there) and the lady behind the bar were helpful and seemed to take our feedback on board. Overall it was extremely disappointing - which is a real shame as this place used to be so good.