“Boyfriend's Birthday Dinner”
Review of Moon & Sixpence

Moon & Sixpence
Ranked #18 of 193 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Situated on the outskirts of Banbury in the beautiful North Oxfordshire village of Hanwell, The Moon & Sixpence is a very popular destination.Run by chef Hylton Bradley, the pub's highly trained brigade of cooks and equally trained waiting staff work together to give customers a meal experience second to none.
Shipston on Stour, United Kingdom
“Boyfriend's Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Had a wonderful dinner here with my boyfriend and his parents. Lovely place, good food, great presentation and good service. Will definitely go again.

• Visited July 2013

Farthinghoe
“Mould on my sandwich”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I'm disappointed to be writing this review having written to the restaurant 3 weeks ago and not having received an answer. This is the content of the letter I wrote."Dear Sirs
Re: Lunch on 9/12/13
It is with great regret that I find myself writing to you.
My wife and I have been loyal customers of Hyltons for many years, particularly when your restaurant was in Parsons Street, Banbury. Since you moved to Hanwell it has become more difficult to patronise your business as we have now moved to Farthinghoe and the travel makes visiting you for special occasions only.
It was on such a special occasion (my birthday) that we decided to have lunch with you – both my wife and I were very excited about lunch and had looked forward to it for several days.
On arrival we were surprised to see the restaurant so empty but simply put this down to circumstances. There was only one visible member of staff so we expected service to be a little pedestrian. Menus arrived and we duly made our choices.
When our order arrived we were mortified to find the following:
1. Parma ham wrapped terrine looked like it had been opened for a week, the ham being visibly discoloured and the terrine tasting bland and old
2. My sandwich – on brown bread that tasted stale and was very disappointing
3. My wife’s sandwich – the base was covered in mould, not dotted, covered
4. The side salad was old and limp with most of the lettuce being a horrible brown and not white colour
We obviously returned the mouldy sandwich but tried to be very British about the rest of the meal. We left the terrine, half of my sandwich and when a replacement appeared for my wife she was so put off, and therefore I was unable to enjoy my food, that we left our meal, paid and left.
Most disappointingly, the chef did not have the courtesy to attend us to make an apology and left it to the waiter who was ill equipped to make such an apology. Being unable to enjoy our meal, we paid the bill (in full) and left.
The purpose of this letter is to let you know about this experience and to record our disappointment that the standards of a restaurant that we held in such high regard had fallen so low. Given the competition amongst restaurants is so great I cannot see any circumstance why we would travel to The Moon & Sixpence when we can get better service, better environment and non-contaminated food everywhere else. "
Surprisingly i have not received an answer to my letter nor an apology.

• Visited December 2013
8 Thank johnaddis
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Can be very good but overpriced”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have been to Hylton's twice over the last year with my family. The first was in summer and a weeknight. The menu was extensive and our food was excellent. Their pub classic menu had a 'suet pudding of the week', which was just superb. It was such a good experience we decided to go again, on a saturday night. We were surprised to find that the menu had been culled down to only the chef's specials. The usual pub classics and grill menu was not available This meant that all of our main courses started at around the £17 mark. None of the options were suitable for my pregnant vegetarian sister in law, so the chef agreed to do fish and chips just for her. We really appreciated this, but I do feel that the menu was far too limited. I ordered a stuffed lamb dish, but I found it to be really lacking in flavour. For such a price I would expect a good piece of meat cooked well and in a delicious, well reduced sauce.
In summary, Hyltons is an excellent choice for a special meal in the Banbury area, but I would recommend going on a week night and choosing dishes from the pub classic menu.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

A beautiful quaint restaurant. Unfortunately I wasn't told over the phone that it would be a set Christmas menu, but should have expected it at least! It was lovely but nothing much to rave about. Would like to visit again and taste the normal menu.

Visited December 2013
Newbury, United Kingdom
“What went wrong??”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We've been visiting this establishment for a number of years so I feel fully qualified to give this less than glowing review. It's easy to give the benefit of the doubt when a location is convenient, or when you are familiar with the owners, but the Christmas menu lunch we had this year was pretty woeful.

To be fair, the starters were OK, but the main courses were a huge disappointment (Turkey dinner option). The potatoes seemed like they'd been reheated from the day before, the turkey was tough as the soles of a shoe, the stuffing was undercooked, and the brussels were barely blanched. It felt slap dash, rushed and careless which was a shame when you have the opportunity for a family get together. My greatest criticism was that at no point didn't anyone ask if the meal was ok. More and more restaurants seem to be neglecting this basic courtesy which means I feel inclined to vote with my feet rather than take another chance. We had to ask for sauces, and prompt to get drinks.

The dessert was mainly ok, but Xmas pudding was served with strawberry ice cream on our table which was an awful mix, the table next to us got vanilla.

I like the venue, and the staff have been generally polite over the years we've been visiting (10+), but this meal was a huge disappointment and not an isolated incident based on some feedback we've gleaned from a few other locally based customers since. Such a shame.

• Visited December 2013