Ashlea Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Red Lion Hotel(Adderbury)
View Hotel
All reviewselectric showertown centrefriendly ownersone nightshort stayfront of the houseon arrivalvisiting banburylovely breakfastplenty of parkinglovely guesthousewarm welcomeroom was spotlessmain roadan ideal locationno hesitationgreat place to stay
Reviewed July 29, 2013

On 27th July we booked several rooms at the ashlea the day before the Italian man rang me to confirm the total off rooms needed . He could just about speak broken English that he couldn't understand English spoken to him I found this very disturbing as he was aggresive on the phone to me during confirmation. On the wedding day he had double booked two off the rooms out we had booked and gave me and my future wife a different room to what was agreed during booking. she was shouting and was aggresive to the bride and brought her to tears before the wedding and threatened her sons calling them abbusive names trying to insite him into a fight. It was a good job me the groom wasn't there or he would have faced the music from me.
This man is a curse on hotels and guest houses around the world . I would never reccomend the ashlea as long as the owners run it . Nice place shame about the owners who can't organise anything liars and bullies I have 30.years experience in the catering trade and never known so much a shambles.

• Stayed: July 2013
Julie R, Owner at Ashlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Hello
Thank you for your feedback and apologies for the delay in responding. To explain the background a little you booked one double room online with a 3rd party provider on 5 February 2013, we still have the records so know that this is correct. You called us to confirm the booking on more than one occasion and you also booked Friday 26th July over the phone.

Subsequently, you actually came to the guest house and booked one family room which you said was for 3 girls, 14, 15 and 21, you also booked another room which you said was for 1 adult and 2 children aged 3 and 7 years and a twin room. Just to point out we don’t have an Italian in the house and we did not call you the day before to confirm the rooms. In fact, you called us about a week before to say that due to a change in your personal circumstances you were on a very tight budget and you would have to cancel all the rooms on the Friday 26th July. We said no problem as you gave us plenty of notice. You then said that you wanted to check in at 09.00am on the Saturday morning and we had to repeatedly explain to you that that was not possible as guests have until 10.00am to check out. You eventually seemed to understand the rationale behind this however; we said that we would have all the rooms ready for 1pm as the wedding was at 3.30pm. At that time you also booked another twin room with a shared bathroom for the Saturday night.

For the record we did not double book any rooms and the room that I gave you and your wife to be was the same room. It had actually been completely refurbished since you last saw it which is perhaps why you thought it was a different room. It was approximately 1pm when your wife to be arrived with lots of other people. We checked her into her room and proceeded to check in the other people. We checked the couple into the twin shared bathroom with no problems. We also checked the lady with the 2 children aged 3 and 7 into her room. The problem arose with the family room and I showed your (now) wife the reservation in the book to confirm what had been booked. As indicated above you booked the family room for 3 girls aged 14, 15 and 21. Your wife had no idea who these girls may be and she told me that herself. In fact, there were 2 adults and 3 children (not toddlers) and one small baby. We advised that the room did not have the capacity to take 5 people plus a baby in a cot. We said that we could put 3 people and a baby in a cot in that room, but they were insistent that they wanted to be together. We advised that we could not just cram all those people and a baby cot into the one room; they still insisted they had to be together and said they didn’t want the room if that was the case. Your wife told me that she didn’t know anything about the baby either. They looked for somewhere else and we also rang some of our colleagues in other B&B's to see if they had rooms.

While all this was going on we also booked 2 young girls in the twin room that you had booked. However, some other people turned up, one a teenage boy who your wife said would be staying in the twin room. I said that we’d already checked the 2 girls in that room and she said that the boy would be staying (brother and sister) and that the girl would have to sleep in the car in the car park. I said that I couldn’t allow people to sleep in cars in my car park.

Then some other people arrived who were in fact your wife’s daughter and son. However, the daughter checked her brother in as your friend who has written the other review. Again I have the registration card that she completed and she checked him in under a different name therefore, under false pretences. He then proceeded to use our facilities without permission. Then other people arrived and at that stage it all became very confusing as there were all these people in our hallway and stood outside many of whom had no reservation with us. We were in the process of explaining that you can’t just book a certain number of rooms and then expect lots of other people to show up and use the facilities that aren’t booked in, when the man who had checked in under someone else’s name started shouting and called my husband a ‘****’ a word so disgusting that it can’t be written here. It was at that point that I really did feel intimidated. There were all these people standing in my house who actually had no right to be there and it was at that stage that I said that I was going to call the police.

Yes, your wife did get upset but we are not liars and we are not bullies. In fact we were being bullied into letting people not registered to stay at our guest house use our facilities which we actually did!

We are sorry that your wife was upset on her wedding day but this was not of our making, it was a member of her own family that started shouting and using bad language. You were not there at the time so did not see any of this going on. I asked another member of your wife’s family if they had called you to try to ascertain what had happened with the rooms, i.e. the issue with the family room and she said they had but you were not interested.

As I said above we are sorry that things turned out the way they did but this was all caused by your family. We are extremely upset with the whole issue and are dismayed at some of the accusations that have been posted on your review.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I needed to find accommodation at short notice and wanted somewhere cheap as an overnight stop. I checked the obvious places - Travelodge and Premier Inn for this area which I found too expensive for my budget. Through Booked.com I located this guest house, and for £43.00 including breakfast, this was within my budget. I was sceptical wondering if there would be any hidden costs on my arrival.

On arrival I was made very welcome after I parked my vehicle at the back of the guest house in a spacious car park. As it was only me staying, Room 11 was more than adequate for my needs and was clean and tidy and was quiet so I was able to get a goodnights sleep. The breakfast provided was quite sufficient for me and nicely presented. WiFi was provided which was provided with no additional cost.

Any faults - only two minor ones. 1) To get hot water from the hand basin took ages to come through. I was wondering if I would ever get any! 2) it is difficult to fill the large kettle with cold water as it wont go under the tap. I had to use a glass to fill the kettle. Maybe it might be worthwhile for the owners to replace the kettle with a smaller one.

My stay was quite acceptable and I have no hesitation in using Ashlea again. Please remember, this is a guest house and not a hotel, therefore you cannot expect to be provided hotel facilities. For what I paid, it was excellent value.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Julie R, Owner at Ashlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Hello, thanks so much for your feedback. We've noted your comments and hope to see you again if you're in the area. Best regards, Julie

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night prior to a friends 40th birthday party. Lovely clean well maintained guest house. Our room looked recently decorated and contained everything needed for a short stay.Friendly owners who obviously pay a lot of attention to detail. Well located for the town centre.
Would not hesitate to recommend ( if stars were allocated) to give the 4 stars that a previous reviewer stated was not worthy. Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Julie R, Owner at Ashlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Hello, thank you ever so much - it makes all our hard work worthwhile! Best regards, Julie & Ayman

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had all booked in advance (eight of us, in Banbury to attend a local wedding) and we were all somewhat surprised when we arrived on Saturday afternoon to be told that we would not be able to pay with credit or debit cards, but that cash was required as "we've not been able to accept cards for 2 days because the system is down". The price points of £51 for a double or twin-bedded room, £43 for a single (one person lucked out and got a double for the price of a single) was perfectly fair for what was on offer: a clean room in good decorative order, with coffee tray and an en-suite shower room, plenty of off road parking at the back of the house, breakfast with cooked breakfast options.

Gripes: In our room it was no problem to adjust the shower to the right temperature but some of the group reported problems in varying the water temperature to a midway between extremely hot and cold. Breakfast was in sittings (the breakfast room was clearly not large enough for all guests simultaneously): we were asked on arrival what time we wanted breakfast and told which time slots were already full. Full weight duvets in mid-summer were certainly too heavy and too hot for the current heatwave: an extra sheet on each bed to sleep under as an alternative would have been welcome, but getting back after midnight it was too late to ask for this. And pillows could have been better. Having said all of that, I think that the price charged was perfectly reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Julie R, Owner at Ashlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Hello, thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. The PDQ machine is up and running now, and the issue has been resolved. It's difficult to respond to your comments regarding some of the showers as I don't know which room you were in or which rooms you are referring to. Also, nobody brought this to our attention at the time. I know there was an issue with a member of your group whose friend had booked a room with a shared bathroom and they were not aware of this. As we explained on the day, we were full so were unable to allocate another en suite room. I take on board your comments regarding the bed linen. Again, I don't know which room you were in so am unable to respond to your comment on the pillows.

We do have sittings for breakfast when we are full as we feel this is better than guests having to stand around waiting for tables etc. This seems to work ok for our guests. When we checked the first 3 people in your party in, we did ask them if you would all want to have breakfast together and they said probably not as some of you would want to leave earlier than others. The restaurant is big enough for all of you to have had breakfast at the same time but, as mentioned above, we were advised you would not want to. Therefore, you had two sittings, 3 ladies came in first and then the rest of your group all ate at the same time.

We're pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and you feel that we offer value for money. However, picking up on your comment that guests should not expect 4 star hotel standards, we don't mention anywhere on our website that we are a 4* rated hotel, as we are not a hotel but a guest house providing bed and breakfast.

Best regards,
Julie

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights from 28/06/2013 Ayman & Julie are lovely people who provide good clean accommodation and an excellent level of customer service at very reasonable prices. We found them to be very open & amenable to any reasonable request and were impressed with their kind offer of a takeaway breakfast when it transpired that we needed to leave before breakfast started. We will be returning again next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Hello, thanks for your kind review. We're really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you next year! Best regards, Julie & Ayman