“Wonderful food in a quintessential English village”
Review of White Horse

White Horse
Ranked #2 of 207 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A beautiful cotswold stone public house with restaurant in the heart of Kings Sutton village. Overlooking the green and Parish Church. We offer a relaxed and warm environment where you can pop in for a pint, have a snack at the bar or come for a meal in the restaurant. We would love you to come and visit. Deli Bar and pub open 7 days a week - (Monday and Tuesday -No restaurant) Coffee and Cake from 10.30am every morning. Our Restaurant is open Weds, Thurs, Fri Lunch and Dinner then Saturday from 12pm-9.30pm. Sunday Lunch we have 2 lunch sittings 12pm-2.30pm and 3pm (serving until 4:30pm. Sunday Night Steak Night 5.30pm-8.30pm Dogs, Children and Walkers all welcome!See you soon, Julie & Hendrik
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The White Horse is a perfect place to meet friends for a fabulous meal. Thumbs up for the Breast of Loomswood Duck & Confit Duck with Roasted Turnips, Beetroot & Duck Fat Potatoes. The Beer Battered Cod Loin with Triple Cooked Chips was equally good. And for the vegetarian, Braised Barley, Butternut Squash, Spinach & Crispy Sage was wonderfully different. We will be coming again!

julie g, Manager at White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

"Wonderful food in a quintessential English village" If we could sum up what we want The White Horse to be this would be it, so thank you so much for your review Patty.
We are pleased you enjoyed your meal and even more pleased to read that you will be back.
Julie & Hendrik

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We were delighted with our first meal at this new country restaurant. All five of us chose different dishes from the menu. My Scallops with Pork Belly really worked well and I couldn't fault the Loomswood Duck with Confit Duck. The other four were more than happy with their choices. Our warm welcome after a difficult drive relaxed us immediately. I wish Julie and Hendrik great success. They certainly deserve it.

Thank you Ann for a lovely review - the scallops with pork belly is a new dish and we're pleased you enjoyed it. The Duck is my personal favourite and I'm glad you were all pleased with your choices. Thank you for choosing us despite the journey!
Hope to see you at The White Horse again soon, Julie & Hendrik

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I eat out,travel and write for a living, so really nice to be able to sit down with a bunch of mates and relax. Having gorged myself with all sorts of rich stuff down in Perigord the previous couple of days a light mackerel and celeriac remoulade starter and a whole lemon sole were just what I needed. Though I did do a Michael Schumacher and go off piste and swap the potatoes for the chips, cooked in beef dripping they are the best chips in the area,crumble with ice cream finished the meal off which was washed down with some good wine. Not the cheapest place in the area , but you get what you pay for ,and here it is good as it gets. Good service with great humour and personal attention from the owner.

Hi Thanks so much for your review, we really enjoyed hosting your meal here hopefully you will come again soon.
You are absolutely right about not being the cheapest place but I hope the quality of our products reflects this and as you say - you get what you pay for.
Once again Thank you for taking the time to review and thanks for the compliment on the chips too!
Julie

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Went for birthday meal and got the best seat in the house, open fire friendly patient service and great wine and food. Will be coming back until I have eaten my way through the menu! Yummy!

1  Thank Judimaxx
julie g, Manager at White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Hi Judi

Thanks for your encouraging words, we are new to the area and pleased you feel we are 'what Banbury needs' . You have touched on the three things Julie and I really focus on; good service, good food and good drink.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon

Regards

Hendrik and Julie

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have to re write a review here as I believe my opinions have changed. I thought this place was very well run but things have changed as my visits have gone buy I have had many a Sunday lunch and the plate has got smaller and smaller and they seem to run out if you get there later in the afternoon which I just don't see as good when you run a smaller menu. I have had the same desert 4 times and each time it is served different. I eat out a lot on Sundays and was so disappointed last visit with some friends I think we will leave it now.

Hi Matt P

Oh no such a shame you feel this way as your review was one of my favourites and I often re-read it to cheer me up! We are very sorry you opinions have changed in such a short space of time.
As a young business (6 months old) we are always learning, changing and adapting as we go to better meet the needs of our guests.

Or Sunday Lunches our becoming busier and busier so this is somewhere I need to adapt and change to be prepared for this. We offer roast Beef and Roast Pork and sometimes do run out of roast pork so again my apologies that this may not have been available on your last visit. We have not intentionally reduced the size of our roast lunches ( we serve it with roast potatoes and two types of veg on the plate and extra veg for the table to share). Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will monitor this more closely next Sunday.

I remember on your first meal with us one of your party had the pigs head with pancetta and black pudding. Unfortunately this was not available this weekend due to supplier issues ( it also takes 48 hours to prepare).

The consistency of our desserts is certainly something I am working on personally. I can only think of one dessert where its presentation has continued to change as it has been developed, but the core item itself has always been the same.

We are very sorry we have let you down

Regards