“Decent meal”

The Watermill
Ranked #30 of 143 Restaurants in Basildon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Watermill is a family friendly, casual dining restaurant. Providing a large and open seating plan including informal booth style dining areas, plus full table service within our restaurant and bar set-up. The Watermill caters for the hotel (Premier Inn - next door), business guests, families and couples alike. We boast a modern and yet casual dining style in which it is possible to relax and soak up the atmosphere in comfortable surroundings. We are on the whole, open plan with a variety of seating styles to suit your needs. We have available several booth seating areas for that intimate family occasion or those friendly get together for that special occasion. Beefeater Grill is food orientated but provide a full bar experience for pre-meal drinks or that more comprehensive drink offer with food. We pride ourselves on offering a quality offer from an extensive menu. The menu is designed to cater for everyone's needs with a dedicated children's menu and a comprehensive lunch time offer. We are able to cater for varying party sizes and occasions in certain areas of our restaurant we encourage you to make contact to discuss your needs further. Our team are dedicated, hard-working and have the ability and desire to provide one of the best dining experiences in the local area.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Visited last weekend of October while staying at the Premier Inn. No problem getting a table around 6pm on the Saturday or at 8pm on the Sunday without booking. Standard Beefeater fare well presented and generally good. Service efficient and friendly but please don't call us 'guys' or 'mate' it really does annoy. Disappointed not to be able to get a drink after 11pm on Saturday when we returned from a concert. Wychwood Brewery Hobgoblin well kept.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Rest of family had excellent seared salmon. Good size portion, and well cooked

My fish and chips was a small portion, with overcooked batter. 'ultimate chips' were no better than average

Friendly service

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Been here before and I enjoyed it - probably as I had a pre-booked table. Arrived just before 7pm on a Friday (expected it to be busy - but table were empty and had to put my name down to wait 20 minutes for a table). so I waited - I was third on the list. 50 minutes later and only as I moved to the greeting point hovering like an idiot did I get a table. looked at the list and everyone around me at been seated. I was literally standing at the bar and at no stage did the greater call my name - very unsatisfied.
Food and waitress very good - no complaints there.
would recommend but ensure that you a) book a table before hand or b) stand around the greeting area so you don't get bumped to the bottom of the waiting list.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My table was inbetween the drinks/food serving hatches so no atmosphere. Decor is very late 80s, felt I had gone back in time to when I used to eat Mr Men meals.

I ordered the lemon and herb fish with rice. No herbs. A piece of lemon and a disgusting brown sauce, tasteless rice, overlooked broccoli.

I would not eat here again even if I stay at the PI again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stopped in the PI next door for a couple of nights and ate here twice. My food was OK althought the London Pride beer was not at it's best. We had no problems apart from slightly slow food but others were having issues with wrong orders and steaks badly cooked. I think this place is struggling badly with staffing levels. On our visit, it was far from full and the staff were running round like lunatics. OK for a meal one step up from fast food but not a destination restaurant.