“Unrivalled Generosity and Excellent Service”

Grand Central Bar & Grill Basildon
Ranked #7 of 143 Restaurants in Basildon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We visited Grand Central for the first time this December after giving it a very large break after the last two disastrous restaurant attempts on these premises. We had been put off by the 'terrible' reviews beforehand but just passing it the other night we decided to give it a try. We're happy we did! The food, although not the highest quality, was extremely generous. For example the 3-club sandwich was minimum 7 inches (18 cm) tall. Also, the coconut prawns came with 8 very large prawns, the size of which I had never seen in the UK before. Having lived in the US for 3 years, I would say grand central comfortably approaches US size serving portions. Our waitress was also incredibly friendly, polite and helpful - I was significantly impressed by her common sense and attention to detail which rivals some of the best service I've ever had in a UK restaurant. Although, I can't comment for the other servers at other tables. Sadly, although the portions were massive, the food was not the tastiest being quite over-salted. Also, the starters were very small and over-priced and paled in comparison to the main courses. Average meal price is 5 to 8 pounds for starter and 10 to 18 pounds for a main. However, I still feel compared to TGIs down the road that Grand Central has better quality food, quantity of food (especially recently where TGIs seems to be cutting back on portion size) and service and would put TGIs straight out of business if everybody had the same experience we had.

1  Thank Jason F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Been here several times with family. This is the building that used to be Outback Australian Diner.

This time had the full rack of ribs & very nice they were too! Very tender & tasty. Hot wings to start of course, always a winner. Coral our server was very polite & friendly. The ceiling tiles are a good idea for special occasions, you can have your own tile with a tribute message upon it. The kids can wear headphones & plug into the house movies shown on the flat screen TV's in the family area, that's a good idea too.

They have good fun table games in the bar area such as Jenga & Hangman, & themed evenings during the week with special offers available.

Good range of drinks on offer and overall the sort of pricing structure you would expect for a themed restaurant like this.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The food was excellent I can heartily recommend the ribs, my mouth is watering just remembering them. My partner had the rib eye steak which was also lovely. As a starter we upsized the nachos to share. The prices were average and the portion sizes were very good, you need to be hungry. The staff were very attentive and at the end of the meal they give you a poker chip to drop into the relevant box to say if they met your expectations or not. We would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Booked for 9 people. Could not get in the car park and got wet getting to the front door. The girl on the desk was pleasant but asked if could wait at the bar for 5 minutes. Took an age to get served at the bar and when they arrived was a lemonade and coke short although we paid for them when we asked for the drinks they started to question it and would not give us the coke.i offered to pay for another as I could not believe they were making a fuss over 1 soft drink. After 35 minutes they then gave our tablet to a couple who only just walked in and had not booked. Asking us to wait yet again while they prepared another table. We decided to give up and go for a ruby instead. So if you you want bad service before your meal then ths pace is for you.

1  Thank Alan T
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We got in the restaurant and our waiter recommended about 8 dishes that were one of 'his favourites' I ordered a Bloomingdale burger which was massive but very tastless, it was also supposed to come with pickles as stated on the menu! It did not. My partner ordered the quesadilla with SUCCULENT strips of chicken, mushroom, onion and cheese. Its a shame we didn't take a magnifying glass with us to hunt for the ingredients! it seemed to be filled with just greasy cheese! we also ordered mushroom sauce, which i can only deescibe as tasting like mouldy bread! The waiter was nowhere to be seen whilst eating our meal and could only get his attention once we had finished, I did mention that the sauce was not nice and that the Dillas didn't have much filling to which he replied 'well you should have said something at the beginning.'
Terrible food, bad service (and not busy as only 3 tables of people in the restaurant) Would never go back in there, they took £4 off the bill as we did complain but for a £40 meal I would rather have a McDonald's!