“Great value hotel especially with the winter special offer”

Campanile Hotel Basildon East London
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
Folkestone
“Great value hotel especially with the winter special offer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

Visiting Basildon for a friends reunion we were lucky enough to find this hotel with rooms on offer at special winter rate, about 50% off! The hotel gave a tidy impression and reception staff were pleasant and efficient. Our rooms were clean, warm and comfortable and, although in proximity to the busy A127 road, traffic noise was muffled and bearable. Did not use the bar and restaurant so cannot comment but would definitely book there again. Only small criticism would be the scalding hot water from taps and shower, be careful to test it out and adjust before full immersion!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Leigh-on-Sea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

Four of us stayed between christmas and new year for a quick trip to Bas-vegas!! We only went as we had booked for some friends but they culdn't make it so rather than waste the rooms we dumped the kids and took a night off.
We were pleasently surprised as we had read some really bad reviews.
The hotel rang to confirm the booking in the morning as they were closing reception early and left us instructions on how to get the keys.
The rooms were newly decorated and had been warmed before we arrived, in fact they were a bit too warm but as it was December we appreciated it.
The linen was very clean and was all white with a white duvet, must be a devil to keep clean but looked great. Extra pillows and a throw were in the wardrobe, packed in plastic to keep fresh.
Tea and coffee making with milk and biscuits were provided, all spotless.
The T.V. was much larger than any other hotel telly I have ever seen and had the full range of satellite stations.
Towels were clean and fresh and the bathroom had a bath and shower. Usual freebies were provided including a shower cap.
As it was a bank holiday the restaurant was closed but we ate at Festival Leisure (Baz-vegas), which has a full range of fast food and restaurants and is only five minutes drive away. This is also the nightclub area .
Outback Steak House and Burger king are a few steps away if you have no transport.
We found the bungalows more than adequate and quite sweet although it was rather Butlins holiday chalets in style.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Birkenhead
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

Looking on the web Campaline at Basildon looked the ideal hotel just what I was looking for a short trip down to see my relatives who live not too far away from the hotel. With special discount rate of £25 per night I took the opportunity & booked 4 nights, on arrival 1st impression was just like Butlins or Pontins holiday camp. Room was clean & tidy but needed urgent refurbishment, (coat paint would help) the room was noisey from the dual carriageway & vans in the car park, small electric wall heater made awful banging noise when cooling down & the heater in bathroom wonder if that meets H&S fire safety regs? after 1 night I returned home disappointed with the vow never to stay in a Campanile hotel again!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Basildon hotels

Schaumburg, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

I had a business trip in Basildon for 1 day. After reading horrible reviews at the Travelodge, I thought about staying at the Holiday Inn. However, I found Campanile. The last review was a year ago so I thought I’d give it a try. Also, there was a huge price difference between Campanile and the Holiday Inn; over 100 Pounds!

If you've stayed at Campanile or Ibis chains before, then you'll get a good picture of this hotel. It's simple, plain, and meant to be for 1 or 2 nights.

Finding the hotel was a bit confusing since my car navigational system couldn't locate the hotel with their zip, but managed just fine. Check in was also very pleasant.

Location is great. It's within walking distance from restaurants, ASDA, and other shops.

Outside appearance of the hotel made me think of an old outdated lodge. It doesn't look very nice. The reception and restaurant are in one building, but the rooms are in 2 other buildings. There are 2 floors and you enter your rooms from the outside, meaning you don't go through another building to get to your room.

Parking is free and there are plenty of spaces. I saw that there were break-ins few years ago to several cars, but they must have targeted the hotel since the 3 buildings (2 for rooms and 1 for restaurant and reception) enclose the parking lot and there is only one way to get into the hotel and one way out. Overall, it seems like a safe area since there's really nothing besides the hotel, shops and restaurants.

Since you can access your from outside, noise is a factor. You can hear all the people walking by. The windows are thin and not very well insulated. You have double doors for the noise and the cold weather coming through, but the noise is really from the windows. The walls are also thin so you can hear your neighbors. Luckily, I only had one neighbor and they were behind my room on the other side so it wasn’t that bad.

I liked all the comments I read about the steak and chip dinner. There is Great Outback right across the street, but I decided to check it out. Even though the last review was over a year ago, my steak and chips were really good. It's not the best I've ever had and it certainly wasn't worth the 17 pounds, but for a hotel it's pretty darn good. The chips were crisp on the outside and soft in the inside. My compliments to the young chef.

I had a double bed in my room, which was room number 7 on the ground floor. There are no hair dryers in the room, but I asked for one at the reception. You have a TV, coffee/tea maker, free internet access (which is fantastic for business travelers), and decent lighting in the room. There aren’t enough outlet plugs. In fact, I only found 1 and between the laptops and mobile phone, it was a tough choice! The bathroom had good lighting and was clean.

I didn't have breakfast, but my experience over all was good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank rjspurling
Hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who made sure the room was in the right location for our needs.
The room was, as always, very clean and tidy, the bed comfortable and all you would need for an overnight stay.
We enjoyed a nice breakfast and all in all a nice experience.
We will always return to this hotel when in the area.

• Liked — clean comftable room
  • Disliked — nothing realy
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

I stayed at the Campanile for 1 night as I was passing through.

Room was very basic, but suited my needs, I heard no traffic??

I had a lovely meal at the resturant (Steak, Chips and a salad) the drinks were abit expensive but there is a 24 hour Asda across the street.

I had breakfast in the morning, full english and an all you can eat buffet, lovely!! The waitress was very nice, kept asking if everything was ok, a lovely girl.

Overal my stay at the Campanile was lovely.

• Liked — Staff, Food.
  • Disliked — The Room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

Staff unhelpful and spoke very poor english. The breakfast waiter was downright rude. My plate was literally thrown on to my table!
Rooms are clean but dark and basic.
Bar/Restaurant shuts at 11pm - you are then thrown out. We ended up finishing our drinks outside, whilst the staff continued drinking and watching TV in the bar!!
Reasonably priced, but I definately will not be back.0

• Liked — Biscuits in the room were OK!!
  • Disliked — Rude Breakfast waiter
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BigMan99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basildon
Holiday Inn Basildon
Premier Inn Basildon South Hotel
The Bell Inn Hotel
The Bell Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Horndon-on-the-Hill

Been to Campanile Hotel Basildon East London? Share your experiences!