“Won't stay here again”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
Tockenham, United Kingdom
“Won't stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are not connected to the hotel. Rooms are situated next to a busy dual carriageway which makes for a noisy nights sleep. Wifi is sloooow. Food is overpriced, I went across the road. Staff were friendly, breakfast was OK.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and was not impressed with it at all!! First of all the room felt very dirty and I found a pair of jeans under the bed.. The room didn't look anything like it did on the Internet and needs to be updated as looks very dated.. The room also didn't have any plugs therefore I couldn't charge my phone or laptop!! The staff seemed like they didn't want to be there or help you out!! Wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't advise anyone to do so

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Basildon hotels

filey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

i stayed at this motel/hotel for two days last week the rooms are well past there sell by date, the car parking area is pot holed, the grass is scruffy, the pathways slippery and uneven, people park in the disabled spaces with no identification in the windows of the vehicles.

as for the rooms, over the past months the hotel has gradually reduced the items such as hair shampoo, hand soap, replaced with on the wall dispensers, no tissues in the bathroom, a cost cutting measure i think.

as for the reception staff they were arogant, surley,willing to take your money but not deal with a problem when it arrose after i left the hotel.

i used my debit card to pay my bill and the next day they took money from my account with out my say so. i phoned and spoke to the manageress elizabeth billon, she said i had more breakfast than i was entitled to, not so, i argued the point, she was unrelenting in her assumption i had had more than i said, problem not quite resolved, now in the hands of the bank fraud dept.

as for the noisey guests, well thought it not worth reporting to the management, dealt with it myself.

so be careful, this hotel chain has gone down hill over the past few years so wont be staying again.

Room Tip: dont go there, no good rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
northampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on buisness and found for the money I paid value to money
Yes it need some money spent on it but I found
Rooms clean and comfortable but noisy I had to request t change rooms due to noise from dual carriageway but this was done quickly with good grace
I eat in the hotel both in the evening and found that it was quiet but fiid was reasonable and well cooked
Staff were polite helpful and considerate
Would I stay again yes I probably would as at 39 p b and b I found it good value

Stoke- on- Trent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip & booked 2 colleagues in, too. I was rather embarrassed by the end of the trip... 1st impressions are not too bad - with a good drive to the hotel. However, as soon as you see the frontage it is evident that this place needs a serious make- over! Tired & looks like Crossroads Motel! I kept an open mind & got our keys.
Our rooms were across the car park, at the back and up the stairs - the walkway has an old wooden banister (rotten in places) and this set the scene. The rooms are small, damp and rather smelly - in fact - my colleague who was in room 93 WAS BITTEN ALL NIGHT. He had numerous bites on hid face, arm & legs when we met in the morning & stated that he had virtually no sleep and could hear a scratching- like noise that kept him awake.
After deciding to 'eat out'; upon return - I decided to pop to Asda (across the road) and immediately saw 2 men trying to break into numerous vans. I immediately ran into reception, told her and suggested she lock the barrier, as they were in a car. She could not & they drove off! It was too dark to get their number and the next morning a couple of others were talking about 'thieves being on the car park again' - SO - BE VERY CAREFUL WITH YOUR VALUABLES if you have to stay here. Finally, the Breakfsst was £8:25 and very poor value for money. Sorry, we will not be returning here.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 93!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JohnPotter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

First let me say the staff really were very nice, friendly and helpful. Here's the big but.... I needed a hotel for the night I'm a lone businesswoman who often has to stay overnight in various motorway or busy road venues so the road noise is always going to be a factor. I hadn't appreciated that it was really a motel so not only was my room down a dark alley and round the back if a poorly lit area on the ground floor it was best described as portakabin type construction. No insulation and no sound proofing at all. I could hear the road all night and all the other guests around me.
In addition to that the room was freezing. I live in a stone cottage with no central heating and am used to being a bit chilly but I used all the extra blankets and wore a fleece to bed! They are 'green aware' and state thermostat set to 18-20 degrees. Yeah faranheight maybe!!
The food in the restaurant was ok but the restaurant itself was like a school assembly hall with no atmosphere and again very cold.
The tea making facilities were grim and tasted even worse and I noticed when I filled the kettle that it needed PAT testing in 2011! I then checked the other electrical items and same.
It tied in with the general feeling that no upkeep has been carried out in the last 2 yrs. various things were broken and made good. Don't think I need to elaborate too much.
All in all I wouldn't go back even for a night visit. I went through booking.com and paid £65 with no brekkie and to be honest if I hadn't arrived at 10pm and the ladies so pleasant I wouldn't of stayed there I'd have gone somewhere else even if I had to pay twice.
Oh another positive is it has excellent wifi which is a big help when you are awake all night freezing cold and disturbed by every noise outside and around you!

1 Thank Kimclark81
Camborne U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We can't agree with some of the negative reviews on this site. You have to remember that this is a budget hotel and not a travelodge with the higher prices.
We stayed at this hotel from the 22nd of December through to the 27th.
Whilst I have to say that the rooms were looking very tired and, could have done with lighter paintwork and walls, our stay was very comfortable. Considering that it was over the Christmas period, All the staff even the chambermaids were very friendly and accomodating with nothing being too much trouble.
The evening meals were to die for and, great portions and of course, reasonably priced.
Although Christmas day would have no staff to cook etc, the duty manager offered to make us a sandwich in the evening if we needed one !!
We paid £39.00 per night per room which included either a full english or, continental. We opted for the Continental as we would be eating several family lunches during our stay. Of course, you can go back and help yourself to more if you want with tea,coffee etc on tap.
All in all a good place to stay if you are visiting London or Essex.
We shall be staying again in the spring to do a bit of sightseeing in London. Thank you Campanile for a great stay.

Room Tip: Rooms 30 something tend to be a bit quieter but, you do hear traffic due to the nearness of the arte...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Terry W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basildon
Holiday Inn Basildon
Premier Inn Basildon South Hotel
The Bell Inn Hotel
The Bell Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Horndon-on-the-Hill

Been to Campanile Hotel Basildon East London? Share your experiences!