All reviews executive room retail park reception desk business trip pizza hut festival leisure park stayed here for one night clean hotel nice stay member of staff plenty of parking comfy bed ihg debbie cinema iron essex
Reviewed June 7, 2016

Our first night here was so awful that it is bound to cloud our review, however:

On arrival we found it hard to park and then had to wait in line at reception as there was only one reception person there despite having a wedding party booking in. Our room was OK but not what we would expect from a hotel that charges £150 per night. We were kept awake most of the night as the people in the next room were loud from about 2.30am until around 8am. They were shouting, talking loud and singing and there seemed to be a party going on in the room for a while. What kind of hotel allows this kind of thoughtless behaviour? We will go back to Premier Inn who guarantee a good nights sleep not like this awful place. To make things worse there was a wedding fair on the second day of our stay and parking again was not good.
To try to find something good to say all I can think of is that the hotel is in a good location for local cinema, bowling, Night-Club and restaurants. The breakfast was good and the restaurant has a lovely view over the local countryside.
Can not recommend especially at the weekend.

Room Tip: Go to Premier Inn.
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2016

Dear Christine C,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We are please you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area and the breakfast we have to offer. We would like to apologize for the experience you had during check-in and the neighboring noise from your room which affected your stay negatively. We understand the discomfort this has caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed May 31, 2016 via mobile

Turned up at 1 15
To check inn
My schedule was in front for a change

I got the y t s receptionist

At first he said I had been upgraded but the only room free at that time was next to the lift

However if I waited to 2 pm I would get a nice room
I am a spire member but the guy didn't care
He said I would have to wait as non of the rooms were ready
I did say that the hotel was not full last night
He said excutive rooms were cleaned last and would not be free to 2pm

So they cleaned all the rooms in 45 mins

Anyway he was quite adamant and rude that I would have to wait
I waited and went back to the reception
The guy again rudely asked my name

45 mins to forget

Then I had to wait 10 mins to get a room

Went upstairs

Came back down
My upgrade was in fact to a basic room with 3 beds
Yes it was a big room but? I was alone

Then thank god the manager intervened
I got a lovely room and a drinks voucher

Really nice bar and food, great service during my visit

Had another housekeeping problem

I left the room at 830

Returned at just before 2pm

Room had not been cleaned!

I did not complain because I wanted an afternoon sleep

Overall though I would certainly return

Really need to train the check in staff

Stayed: May 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2016

We stayed for 3 nights as part of a group booking with half-board accommodation. Apart from a couple of minor issues I and other in the group commented on the breakfast. It was by far the most comprehensive breakfast selection we had ever seen with nothing left out. The overworked restaurant and bar staff were friendly and very accommodating. Hats off for a sterling effort. I shall not hesitate on staying there again.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2016 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple of months in business.

The staff were nice and they do a good job.

The hotel itself is not quite in disrepair but not far off. It's a quite depressing building in quite a soulless part of Basildon.

There isn't much to do near here except a cinema and bowling alley.

The breakfast is a standard budget hotel cooked breakfast buffet offering.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2016

Dear Margoose87,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. I am pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service breakfast option. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and superior accommodations. Your loyalty and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

I value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed May 21, 2016

Not bad but shame about the location. Arrived early evening & were welcomed by 2 friendly & very helpful receptionists. Bedroom was adequate but we weren't going to spend too much time in it apart from sleep. The bar was, as always for a hotel, expensive & as I'm a bitter drinker disappointed that they only have Boddingtons. Why not have some local brewery bottled ale if you can't sell a barrel. Buffet breakfast was of reasonable quality. There is a lovely lake at the back of the hotel but you can't walk around it because it is fenced off to stop the locals jumping in it when they come out of the night club & pubs at 2 am. I wouldn't say that we'd never come back but definitely would avoid the facilities in the surrounding area [Festival Place].

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
KevinCoombes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2016

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

It seems that we didn't really delight you during your visit to the hotel and you left with a feeling of ' only average' which is clearly not what we set out to deliver.

I am sorry if you were disturbed by any noise from any of the facilities close by to the hotel and hope that you will return to us in the future.

On a positive note, you will be delighted to know that we are just about to partner with a local brewery who produce some lovely ales, of which we will supply.

Thanks again for your review

Kevin.