“Good location, rooms a little tired”

Holiday Inn Basildon
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent conference facilities, hired for a business seminar recently, good access, nice size, helpful staff.

Lovely hotel location next door to festival park Basildon, good choise of food and entertainment on doorstep, plenty of onsite free parking at hotel.

Cosy bar area just inside main entrance with televisions dotted around, helpful staff on reception. Downside during our stay (only one of two lifts working) which meant long wait (not good).

Bedrooms decent size, bathroom tiny (like size on a ship) both clean but also in need of refurb (signs of use allround). Usuall coffee/ tea etc bathroom extras but no fridge in room.

Good choice at breakfast and helpful chef on hand to cook on request.

Would use again if in area on leisure or work.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking lake, nicer than other side overlooking complex behind
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
KevinCoombes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear welshone03

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us at the Holiday Inn Basildon. Although our bathrooms are smaller than others, I am pleased that you found them to be clean and fully operational.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have just stayed at this H.I for 5 nights on a business trip, all the staff I spoke to were polite and always willing to help. The breakfast can only be described as the best I have ever had in a hotel. The beds are really comfortable we had a flat screen tv in an average size room.
The bathrooms are dates and the frames on the doors were all chipped and needed and good paint, the restaurant they say they have is at the bar and you order from at the bar from a menu that is not that big at all. When I ordered one night I was made to wait 40 minutes for my food and when I asked where it was the bar staff replied it takes 40 minutes to marinade the chicken so I waited for another ten minutes and when the food finally arrived it was stone cold. So my advice is there is a Pizza Hut next door make your own mind up.

Room Tip: Standard double
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear Dave C,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you appreciated how our breakfast was during your stay. We strive to exemplify comfortable and relaxing environments with all the services you need and more, and I am sorry this was not provided for you. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the restaurant service and bathroom facility. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Zelyn N

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here 5 nights, very good place, if you need something in the area, well situated just of the A127, the mall, restaurants and park are right there, also easy to get to downtown shopping and station.
I booked on line and got a great rate, but i noticed that the established room rate listed was twice the price I paid. Maybe that was for walk in customers, not sure.
Room though small was adequate, bit tight for 2 people, bed not up to standard ,( by American Hotel standards). Breakfast at approx $17 , coffee at $5 not worth it, there are better places within walking distance. Friday night/ early morning, the locals were a bit rowdy in the adjoining car park.
The staff were very helpful, and professional. There was a leak in our bathroom so they changed our room and upgraded us.
I would hesitate to pay the listed room rate , 150 pounds sterling, if i had to return, would shop around as other hotels offer better rates.

Room Tip: check prices on line, ask for a room away from the car park.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jchd

Dear jchd

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be friendly and professional. Your feedback is vital to us to help us make improvements for the future and to ensure that our product and service delivery is true value for price paid.

I hope to see you back in the hotel soon

Kevin Coombes.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

1 night stay for a business trip, staff very friendly and helpful both at check and check out.

Hotel is ok, clean, rooms are ok, flat screen TV etc, however had a twin room and the single bed was very small and uncomfortable.

Breakfast was excellent though, one of the better ones I've had in a hotel, nice and fresh and cooked well.

Overall stayed as convenient for business trip and would stay again, on a leisure park with lots of places to eat (TGI Fridays, Harvester, Pizza express, Toby Carvery etc...)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear kevc30,

We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to read that our staff was able to assist you with your needs. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort with the bed size during your stay and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this. Your comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and recommendation.

Zelyn N

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I checked into this hotel and waited for some considerable time for two customers to check out. The reception staff were explaining that there was only one phone line and the card payment connection gets confused if you try to check out two customers at once? It apparently occurs regularly. If this is correct then this situation needs rectifying. Once checked in I was allocated room 7 on the ground floor. What a disappointment, it looked grubby, the paintwork was worn, the carpets were stained and the upholstery on the chair under the desk was stained and marked. The bathroom was clean. The bed was uncomfortable. I decided that I would ask to have my room reallocated but walking down the corridor looking around at the decor I decided that it was probably a waste of time as the corridor is dowdy. I went to the bar and the single staff member was serving a group of young men who were all appeared to be ordering milk shakes. After seeing how long it took to make just one shake I left and went for a walk. When I returned I ordered a drink and went outside to enjoy the evening sun. However I realised why there were not more people outside as I was quickly visited by several wasps. I went back inside and reported the potential for a nest to be on the hotel site to the barman. All I got was a shrug of the shoulders and a confirmation that other guests had mentioned the same thing.
We then tried to order food and after selecting a fish dish we were told that it wasn't available. One of our party then changed tack to order a steak with onion rings, only to be told that the hotel had run out of onion rings. The steak dish was ordered medium rare and it came well done.
The breakfast was very tasty and the range of food available was good. Checkout was fine and the staff were helpful.
Overall I was disappointed with this Holiday Inn. It was probably the poorest Holiday Inn that I have stayed in. It needs decorating and updating. I will not stay there again and I could not recommend it at the moment.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Treoesman
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Treoesman,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room conditions, and food selections prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The H.I. at Basildon is an unstylish hotel that is probably more oriented to groups than individual travellers and so it proved to be for us.
Noisy disputes and activities that would be associated with an irresponsible serving of alcohol policy played themselves out in the hotel carpark which we overlooked.
In fairness to the hotel, there is a possibility that despite the closeness, not all the commotion emanated from hotel guests. The hotel is situated in a precinct of fast food outlets, forget any notions of a nice, quiet, waterside setting you may see alluded to in the description.
Breakfast was sensational, best we had on our tour with very obliging staff catering for any changes we requested.
Our room, apart from the nightly noise, was clean and comfortable as indeed it should be for the tariff. Would we stay again? No, definitely not, there are other hotels with higher ratings.

Room Tip: Avoid a room that overlooks the car park.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
KevinCoombes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear ElectrickBlue

Thank you for your feedback from which I take that on the whole - you enjoyed your experience with us. I am sorry if you were disturbed by noise during the night - we work closely with our neighbours in order to minimise nose pollution at all times.
If you do choose to return to us in the future ask for one of our rooms facing the lake and I am sure you will change your opinion of some of the views we have to offer.
Once again - thank you for your review

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just spent a short stay with my wife at the above.Excellent room very clean and comfortable, and staff very helpfull thank you well done..Our room overlooked the two lakes one with the wakeboarders on which was superb to watch.
The location is very good as its on the festival leisure park,lots to do ,plenty of places to eat and be entertained.
We had a wonderful short stay and will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear kj50Wolverhampton

Thank you for your great feedback - I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Perhaps when you return you might have a spare hour or so to try the Wakeboarding for yourself - it is even better than it looks I can assure you.

Thank you again for your review - see you again soon

Kevin Coombes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Basildon
Premier Inn Basildon (East Mayne) Hotel
#1 of 2 in Canvey Island
Marygreen Manor Hotel
Marygreen Manor Hotel
#1 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Holiday Inn Basildon? Share your experiences!