“Very friendly staff and clean tidy rooms. Great base to expore area” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alison Park Hotel

and 1 more site!
Alison Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Derby, United Kingdom
“Very friendly staff and clean tidy rooms. Great base to expore area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here overnight last weekend whilst visiting Buxton and were greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff who ensured we had our keys, directions and instructions to enter building. Our double room was on the top floor, up 2 flights of stairs and had a decent sized en suite bathroom, tea / coffee facilities, TV, etc. Our room and bedding were clean and tidy and the hotel was very reasonably priced (we stayed on a B&B basis). It's not 5 star luxury, but you get what you pay for and I would recommend this hotel as a good base to explore Buxton (the Pavillion Gardens are across the road and there is a nice walk through them to the nearby Opera House and town centre). You can park your car in the Hotel car park for free and it's in a nice, safe area. Breakfast was standard fair and was decent enough. All in all, decent and reasonably priced B&B accommodation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sarawoj, Manager at Alison Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that we made you feel welcome. I home you come back and visit us when you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here overnight on a Saturday and had no issues. The staff were really welcoming and helpful. I have read the other reviews and would say that whilst the rooms are a little dated it didn't interfere with our stay. We were staying here as a base for sight seeing and walking so it was ideal as an overnight stop and in a short walking distance of the town and parks.
We had breakfast at the hotel which was nice and they cater for vegetarians also. Dinner was also fine, reasonably priced although the portion size was on the small side for the bake.
On the whole we had a really great stay where we were welcomed and the staff were really accommodating. It's not boutique luxury but is not priced as that either, we would definitely go back if we were overnighting after days out.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sarawoj, Owner at Alison Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I also agree we are aware that some of the rooms are dated and have a rolling rota of renovation, so inevitably some are more modern than others. I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfasts, especially as a Vegetarian. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

My daughter and i along with our little dog (no charge for the dog) stayed for just one night (29/8/12) unfortunately, at Alison Park.
We were greeted by a warm welcome and given a ground floor room (which we requested)
G2 which had outside access to the patio area was very good as i could take the dog out when ever i wanted without going up and down stairs or through the hotel.
we were very happy with first impresion of the room.

When we arrived in our room on closer inspection, we found the bathroom sink was grubby and hadn't been cleaned also toilet paper in the loo from the last occupant i think.
The door to the outside area was very dirty in the frame, and cob webs on the inside, but a quick wipe with a little toilet paper and that was solved.
Housekeeping need addressing.

The TV was small but we didn't mind, the only issue was very few chanels and a bad picture.
Bit dusty on top of picture frames,TV, mirrors and behind loo.

Unfortunately we had a problem but we were moved very quickly to room 104, Nice room, still the same problems with the TV and dust but an added extra was the toilet brush holder very dirty and half full of dirty water or something (yuk)

There are stains on the carpets more so in the Bar area, we also had a stain on the chair in 104.

On the plus side,
The hotel is very nice and the grounds, the owners are very friendly and helpful and always smiling, service is good.
Breakfast room was very clean and bright with a outside feel to it as it was served in the conservatery.
I can recomend the sausages they were delish.
Breakfast was lovely and freshly cooked with my favourite "fried bread" (not a lot of hotels offer it these days ) but to me fried bread is a part of a full English.

The curtessy tray was well stocked and we got buscuits, shampoo and shower gel and soap was provided.
Unfortunately the towels are very small and they have blankets on the beds i prefer Duvets.

I would stay here again if ever i was in the area, but only if they still serve fried bread with breakfast, have bigger towels and Duvets instead of blankets and also if i can have room G2.

Nice to stay in an old building to instead of these modern hotels with no charecter.
I would like to thank the people who we had the most contact with during our stay, unfortunately i never got the lady and gentlemans names.

We got a deal of a twin room for £70 per night inc breakfast, i think that is what it is worth and not the price they usually charge which is £54 pppn i think, In my opinion £108 per night is to dear for this hotel and what they offer sorry :(
Well thats my review, i hope it helps.

Room Tip: G2 is nice , but if unhappy tell them i am sure they will move you :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DogFriendlylady
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I were visiting the recent Buxton Annual Gilbert & Sullivan Festival and wanted a hotel near the Pavilion, Gardens and Opera House. The Alison Park satisfied this requirement perfectly. We stayed there for one week and were warmly welcomed and well looked after the whole time. The dining-room and lounge were comfortable and attractive and the breakfasts and evening dinners provided varied menus and in most cases locally resourced food. The young waitresses were polite and solicitous for our welfare. Our only concern was that the hotel had only two rooms with walk-in showers and we ourselves found getting in and out of the bath and using the attached shower difficult. When we return we will ask for one of the more convenient walk-in shower rooms.

Room Tip: See my above comments about shower facilities. Our room (112) was in all other respects excellent an...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michaeljohn2434
sarawoj, Owner at Alison Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We at the hotel are glad you enjoyed your stay and it is nice know that our staff provide the customer service we expect as a management team. Unfortunately as we were at a busy time in the season we were unable to move you into a different room with a shower. If you should book again, mention your preference for a shower on making the reservation and we will happily try and accommodate this.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed overnight earlier on this month. I was attending a nearby exhibition, which accounted for me having to pay £90.00 for a twin room with single occupancy! My room was Nos G2 which was on the ground floor with its own entrance from the rear of the hotel outside sitting area. I ate a bar dinner which i would describe as adequate and the hotel is fully licenced. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and had the usual tea/coffee making facilities.
The centre of town is within walking distance and took me between 5-10 mins max were there were restaurants, shops and pubs. Hotel parking is available for approx 10 cars, however, if full there is plenty of on street parking available.

Room Tip: Hotel has 17 rooms - choose one that suits
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Taffy C
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

When I booked this hotel, I was forced to take what I could because I was attending a close friend's wedding and knew there were several weddings going on in Buxton that day and rooms were going to be short in supply. Having booked the hotel...I read the reviews..some of which were scathing and I was dreading it. However, my wife and I arrived. The welcome was lovely and the room excellent. The decor was fine and the room clean and airy overlooking the patio with a patio door for ease of access too. The bathroom was small...but perfectly adequate and the shower easily powerful enough. True the TV wasn't a huge plasma screen...but then we never switched it on so it didn't matter...if the size of TV is what you go to a hotel for, then don't go here. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast really excellent. My wife found the size of towels a little small, but for me they seemed fine. I'd definitely stay there again and I'd recommend the place. You will be surprised. Way, way above anything a Travelodge or Ibis can offer and conveniently located a lovely 5 minute walk from the Pavillion.

Room Tip: We stayed in G2...light & airy
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harryzack
Littleborough, Rochdale
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

We booked a room at Alison Park through another website and got a reduced last minute room rate.

The hotel is in a really good location and is far enough out of town to get a peaceful night's sleep but only 5 minutes walk into Buxton itself. The interior of the hotel is a little tired and could do with some updating, but despite the old fashioned furnishings our room was clean, warm and peaceful. Breakfast was good the next morning and we were able to leave our car in the car park for a couple of hours after we checked out, so we could go for a short walk around Buxton.

If we had paid the standard rate for this room, we would have been disappointed, but for what we paid we got excellent value for money, hence the three star rating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenpenpie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Westminster Hotel
Charles Cotton Hotel
Charles Cotton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hartington

Been to Alison Park Hotel? Share your experiences!