“lovely place to relax” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Number 13

Number 13
Ranked #36 of 110 Restaurants in Buxton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Housed in a former hardware store we have a character filled building with reclaimed and antique furniture, an open kitchen and a huge leather sofa in front of our wood burning stove to relax on. We have craft beers, cask ales and fine wines to accompany our ever changing menu swell as a great selection of spirits, we play an eclectic selection of music from folk and jazz to soul and funk and are currently putting together some live music performances for the coming months. in addition to our lively restaurant and bar we have 5 letting rooms all en-suite which are decorated in a similar traditional fashion.
Buxton, United Kingdom
“lovely place to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Well run,great staff,nice atmosphere.
Nice steak sandwich that melted in the mouth. Good range of beers,lagers and cocktails. Well worth a try!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Number13buxton, Owner at Number 13, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Thanks for the kind words Paul J. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Bicester, United Kingdom
“Best risotto ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Very nice restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere, beautifully decorated. Excellent service. I ordered sea bass with scallops which was quite tasty. It was evident that the ingredients were first class. However, what was really outstanding was my wife's risotto. I have to confess that I am not a big fan of risotto. I can have some but I usually find it kind of boring. Not this time - by far the best risotto I ever had in my life. As the portions were extremely generous, I ended up eating part of it - truly delicious!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mateo C
Number13buxton, Owner at Number 13, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you appreciated the quality of our ingredients. "Best Risotto I ever had in my life" is an outstanding compliment.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Tried this restaurant when in Buxton for work. Sunday lunches are very difficult to get right especially with parents with you! However this is one of the tastiest ones we've had. The portion was huge with a vast array of vegetables! Some might think you needed a little more meat - but it was plenty for me! I look forward to returning to this fantastic place! Well done!

1 Thank elin1983
Jamaica
“Great starter but everything after was a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

We were recommended this restuarant by the lady who ran the B&B were were staying in. The decor is nice as you enter and warm and inviting but the dining area a little sparse and empty looking- a contrast to the front of house.
Our starter was lovely (scallops with wasabi soy ginger dressing)and we thought our mains would be as creative and exciting, everything was cooked well but quite boring (I had the sea bass, scallops- all of two! with no dressing, new boiled potatoes and veg with a pot of mayonaisse? My desert was a lemon meringue- deconstructed..slice of lemon tart, whipped cream and a bit of hard meringue, my husband crumble was blatantly heated in a microwave and the fruit was bland and not stewed or seasoned, the crumble top had not been 'crumbled' and not much thought had gone into a simple desert..a real disappointment after a starter that promised so much more...

Visited April 2014
Number13buxton, Owner at Number 13, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on Number 13, we welcome all feed back so we can continue to improve. I'm glad you appreciated the changes we have made to the 'front of house' since taking over last year, the restaurant side is going to be having an update in the coming months. I'm glad you enjoyed the scallops pak choi and ginger starter, sorry to hear you felt your main wasn't not as exciting. As a scallop lover I'm sure you realise the expense and this is taken into consideration when designing the dishes, we want our food to be reasonably priced an that is why the sea bass comes with only two king scallops. The dressing is a homemade wasabi mayonnaise and is served on the side so customers can have as much or little as they require. We have frequently changing menu and hope you would consider us again in the future.
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
“Lucky 13”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I should imagine that 13 people arriving for supper on a busy saturday night may prove a problem for many restaurants, but with a bit of forward planning, and some emailing with the very well organised proprietor, Number 13 was a delightful venue where we enjoyed some delicious food. The restaurant has a real buzz about it, the waiting staff were friendly and helpful and we could see into the kitchen where the staff worked tirelessly all night. Pleasant atmosphere, good food, nice staff and a reasonable price to boot, what's not to love?

• Visited April 2014
Number13buxton, Owner at Number 13, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thanks for kind comments, I'm so glad you enjoyed your time at Number 13 after all our planning!