“Little gem in Buxton”
Review of Number 13 - CLOSED

Number 13
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Housed in a former hardware store we have a character filled building with reclaimed and antique furniture, an open kitchen and a huge leather sofa in front of our wood burning stove to relax on. We have craft beers, cask ales and fine wines to accompany our ever changing menu swell as a great selection of spirits, we play an eclectic selection of music from folk and jazz to soul and funk and are currently putting together some live music performances for the coming months. in addition to our lively restaurant and bar we have 5 letting rooms all en-suite which are decorated in a similar traditional fashion.
“Little gem in Buxton”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Great place with beautiful food. Been here a few times over the past few months and always had quality food. The whole restaurant experience is second to none. When going out for a meal in Buxton number 13 would always be my first choice.

Florida Keys, Florida
“The word has got out”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Called in on a cold Sunday afternoon in November 2013 on my way home from the station after a morning in Manchester, had the most delicious meal and a nice pint ,called in again last Sunday after another morning in Manchester only to find the all the tables were fully booked, so I had a pint and enjoyed the buzz of the bar the waiter told me I should have booked for a meal, how the place has become so popular in just a few months is amazing .

Visited November 2013
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Visited for a small family birthday celebration on a Saturday lunch time with my parents, sister, my wife and young daughter. We booked in advance; restaurant wasn't too busy I would say, but a few covers in.

The first thing to say is that the restaurant is child friendly; the tables aren't crammed together like so many places (which is refreshing in itself) so there's plenty of space for a pram. Also, the ladies toilet has a baby changing tray which my wife found useful. They even provided my daughter with a small set of metal cutlery which she really appreciated.

The place itself I really like, think they've done a good job with the layout and the feel is just right in my opinion. The service was fine throughout; only very minor complaints would be the wait after mains were cleared to be offered desert (waiting a fair few minutes) and also had to chase up a couple of drinks that didn't arrive, but nothing major - we weren't in a rush so not a problem.

So, on to the meal itself. I had the scallops to start which didn't blow me away, but they were nice enough. However the rump steak main was very good, as was the chocolate fondant desert. My wife had the goats cheese salad and the pork for main and said both were very good. They have a good selections of beers too.

The only negative I would say about the menu is the lack of choice for vegetarians. Three of the people in our party were vegetarian and their choice of main course was risotto or risotto. Whilst they all very much enjoyed the risotto (and I've nothing against short menus in general), I think one more good vegetarian dish on the mains list would help.

However, they did provide a complimentary desert for my Dad (complete with a candle in) as we'd let them know it was his birthday in advance (he got a free beer too) and also a not-on-the-menu gluten free brownie for my Mum who is celiac, which I thought was great service too.

Overall, we all really enjoyed the visit here and I'd happily visit again.

Chester, United Kingdom
“A Gem.....”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My partner and i had lunch here on 13th March, while on holiday. The staff are welcoming and friendly the atmosphere relaxing and the food excellent, cooked to perfection.
The menu is small in range but that is compensated by very high standards in dishes offered, prepared from local produce.
If you are ever in Buxton, i would recommend it.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Great food! The warm goats cheese and beetroot salad was a delicious starter. Scallops and Sea Bass for my main course was equally delicious but the Hollandaise sauce was something else, absolutely superb! For desert I chose the lemon meringue pie, my partner chose something else and the plan was to share, but once I had tasted mine the plan changed and I ate the lot. Brilliant night, definitely will visit again and most definitely would recommend.