“Not Good Quality Food Or Service”

Hargreaves Edwardian Tea Rooms
Ranked #4 of 11 Coffee & Tea in Buxton
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Not Good Quality Food Or Service”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I visited here for afternoon tea and found it very disappointing. At most places I have taken afternoon tea there are a selection of teas available, here it was just a standard bag in a cheap tea pot dished out at the counter when I placed my order, hence by the time the sandwiches etc arrived the tea was stewed. It should have been brought out at the same time. The food was very cheap quality and the service not friendly at all. Its a shame because its above a really nice gift shop and has the potential to be a great little tourist tea room.

• Visited September 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Let down by staff and lack of atmosphere”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This Tea room which is reached via a very interesting gift shop was quite promising until I had the displeasure to deal with the surly unhelpful staff. A simple request to have a slice of Tomato on a Sandwich was greeted by a Spanish inquisition back and forth between various staff until grudgingly they agreed with a volley of " We are not supposed to but we will do" What great Edwardian service fantastic!!! The food was reasonably priced for a Tourist Trap but nothing special and the atmosphere was very oppressive with customers murmerring uneasily to each other in a most unrelaxed manner in the deathly quite room. While the Cafe (Tearooms) was interestingly decorated with many souvenirs and Memoribilia available to buy for a hefty price the effect was ruined by the large obvious damp patch on the ceiling which spoiled the occasion. Fix the ceiling and get your staff to remember there is a lot of competition that do care about their customers. PS visit the shop below great for a browse and buy

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“check your food before you eat!!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Have just visited this establishment for the first and certainly last time. Every table we went to was either still full of dirty plates and those that weren't were all messy and full of crumbs. The café was approximately one third full and as it was a Bank Holiday, we put this down to there maybe not being many staff on. We ordered a ham and cheese toastie for me and a cheese and onion toastie for my wife. When the food arrived I was just about to eat mine when I noticed that something on my toastie was more the colour of beef than ham. On examining my sandwich I noticed that part of the "ham" was quite clearly discoloured. The cheese on toast seemed fine, hence the overall rating as one.My wife had eaten one of her sandwiches when she noticed on the second one some of the onion was green. I went back to the girl on the counter and showed her the ham and suggested she advise the chef to throw the ham away before someone is ill. She took the plate off me and said "thank you", no apoplogy or anything. Disgraceful!!!

Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
“Poor quality food”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The contents of the "pork and stuffing" bap comprised a lot of stuffing and two small, thin slices of what appeared to be ham, not pork. Apple sauce was provided shrink-wrapped in a small pot. A toasted tea cake was doughy. The "large" cappuchino would be considered "regular" size elsewhere. Overall very poor value.

Chorley, United Kingdom
“OK - but room for improvement.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I like the Edwardian theme for a tea room - complete with memorabilia from that time period. The tea rooms are located above a fragrant smelling fancy goods & cook shop - shame that the only vacant table upstairs for 2 people was full of crumbs and an empty latte glass from the last person to sit there! I sat down and waited for the table to be cleared whilst my husband went to order jam & cream scones, a pot of tea and a cup of coffee (which he had to pay extra for as not included in price). Still waiting for someone to clear table - in fact nobody came over (and there were staff flitting about) so I wafted the crumbs onto the floor and placed the empty glass on another table to make room for our food & drinks. The glass remained on the other table for some time before it was noticed and removed. The jam & cream scones and pot of tea were just about OK (I've had better). Shame they can't include a small pot of coffee with the scones as an alternative for those who cant drink tea!