“Really feel bad, but not quite what you really expect for a £160 per night!”
Review of Cressbrook Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buxton
Cressbrook Hall
Ranked #14 of 39 Buxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I really wish I could be a bit more positive about this review, but cannot. I booked a room in the main house for £115, but then received an e-mail from the owner saying that we had doubled booked and someone associated with the wedding being held today (15th July 2012) had booked just before me, despite me being told there was availability. I sent a message back saying how disappointed I was as I was booking for my wifes birthday and our wedding anniversary. I then got an e-mail offering me a lodge where the bride and groom stay - in Lower Lodge, but at £160, not £115 for the house. Because my wife is worth it I agreed to this.
The whole experience was further enhanced when we arrived. The owner looked at us blankly. I gave my name which produced no response, but it was only when my wife explained what had happened were we recognised as guests staying that night. We were then taken to the lower lodge and were asked to ensure we left as soon as possible after breakfast so the bride could use the lodge to get ready, not very welcoming. Now reading this what do you expect from a £160 a night room. Hairdryer - nope, biscuits - nope, quality toilet tissue - nope, high quality fittings, bedding, a television that works (it was a TV box, picture froze (OK I know, romatic weekend, why was I watching TV!!)) - nope, at least a 32" LCD?PLASMA TV - nope, sizeable king-size bed - nope. Great view from the slipper bath, whilst you were sat in it, but do not expect to be able to lay in it!! When you stand up in the bath the view is hindered by a flat roof. Please check out my pictures to see what I mean.
The views and the area was beautiful, quiet and away from the buzz of city life that drains us all. The problem is that I could not understand the owner, she seemed very happy to see us this morning, but again let enlighten you about the breakfast experience. Quality places I have stayed, and I do consider myself well travelled, offer options at breakfast. Here it is juice and breakfast cereal/fruit, followed by full English - but you are not asked what you would like, so you get the lot, bacon, sausage, eggs on Derbyshire oat cakes, tomatoes and mushrooms. You do not get toast until after the hot breakfast. Great coffee though and plenty of it.
I do feel a little guilty, but this is definitely NOT worth £160 and if this is for a Bride and Groom on their wedding night, then I would recommend them staying in the house or looking elsewhere. I just feel from reading a number of the reviews, that if you qare a wedding party, great, but if not are you getting in the way. I and my wife certainly felt we were in the latter group.

Room Tip: Do not accept the Lower Lodge, not certain what they are like, but ask for the house!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tricky273

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband tried to book a room for £115 to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary. In the meantime the last room was booked and after email contact he was offered "Lower Lodge" a kind of gate keepers cottage often used by newly weds who have had their wedding at the hotel. The price for this was £160 but he was happy to pay this as it was implied that it was more along the "suite" route. Although the place was quite quirky it was not worth £160.
The owner seemed stand offish when we first arrived but did soften up during our visit, although I prefer to be asked what time I would like breakfast rather than being told! The setting is absolutely beautiful.Our accommodation was clean and warm but was a glorified holiday cottage. For £160 we could have stayed at the Cavendish in Baslow or other similarly superior accommodation. We had a lovely weekend away but I am disappointed that my husband has been RIPPED OFF. For that sort of money I would expect biscuits with the tea making facilities and robes in the bathroom. Even the most basic accommodation supply a hairdryer in the room these days......but not at Cressbrook Hall.
This accommodation was worth no more than £80. I cannot comment on the hotel rooms, although the dining room was beautiful. I get the impression that all the owner cares about is wedding parties (big bucks!) If you are offered a lodge GO ELSEWHERE!

Room Tip: Dont accept accommodation in the lodges.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank merlymoo
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Well where do we start Unforgettable/Excellent,a BIG thankyou to Cressbrook hall and its staff for making our day run smoothly,they were professional and organized which made us able to relax and enjoy our special day,especially Veronica and Harriet who were very helpful in every way.
Cressbrook hall is a wonderful location for anyone to get married with its super views over the Monsal valley,although it rained during our ceremony it brightened up lovely for our photographs in its beautiful gardens.HIGHLY recommended wedding venue.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed on Fri 8th June as part of a wedding party with the celebrations being the following day. We arrived at the holiday cottage (4xbeds 4xbaths) in the afternoon to find it completely beautiful, stunning views, very nicely decorated, spotlessly clean, lovely fresh clean towels and bathrooms, and a wide selection of tea's etc in the kitchen. The lovely lady owner greeted us and showed us the way through the grounds and opened up the cottage ready for us with all of our bags. We enjoyed the evening with fantastic views from the lovely large lviving room looking out towards the valley.

The following day the weather wasn't so kind to us and although an outside ceremony was eagerly anticipated, the lady owner once again marvelously arranged for the wedding to be held inside the Orangery instead at extremely short notice. This room was perfect, glass to one side with beautiful stonework on the other (flower arrangements moved effortlessly and without fuss indoors!), decorated perfectly for weddings, nobody noticed that we weren't actually outside as the room was so lovely and bright and warm!

A perfect wedding venue and idyllic place to get away from it all and relax in the beautiful surroundings. If you're looking for a classy but very good value for money getaway abundant with walks from your door or simply require an outstanding wedding venue then this is your place. I cannot rate the owner and the setting and charm of the buildings enough. Simply stunning!

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage called, I think, Hot Spot, with views from all glass windows on one side, bea...
1  Thank Danielle C
Reviewed June 12, 2012

On Saturday 09 June 2012 my daughter Gemma married Christian at Cressbrook Hall.
Approximately one year earlier we visited cressbrook in order to discuss arrangements & I was extremely impressed by the professionalism, knowledge and wedding experience of the lady owner. (sorry never given your name but that is a small point and irrelevant)

Sat in front of an open fire with views to die for we eagerly and enthusiastically booked the venue for June12.

This was a "no brainer" and anyone looking for an ideal setting for their wedding should certainly have options to consider, however, in the end I am sure Cressbrook will stand on its own with very few venues will compare.

Everything organised for an outside wedding with the guests to enjoy the wedding, the hall and the breath taking views.

My daughter, the bridesmaids, my wife and Christian's aunty opted to stay the pre wedding night on the estate in one of the lodges and this certainly was a fantastic decision.
Again the views were fabulous and the accommodation excellent with en suite bedrooms and a large lounge where the girls were allowed to do their own thing together. (as a male I am not privy to what goes on when eight ladies gather together)

THe day arrived but so did the rain however we waited until the last minute to see if the preferred outside wedding ceremony option could be saved but unfortunately not.

Guests arrived including two wheelchair grandma's and access was easily gained where a pianist played background music-a lovely touch I thought.

I, together with my daughter were driven to the hall from the lodge and for me that was "my time"

The inside wedding ceremony was moving and excellent and with one side of the room consisting of mostly glass it was as near as we could possibly be to being outside.

Following the wedding we moved to a room with a balcony where champagne and light bites were served. Speeches then took took place and everyone bar none thoroughly enjoyed the occasion.

The small children enjoyed a food table to themselves and it certainly was worthwhile as I heard nothing from them!!

I am not sure if this is what people want to read but it is how it was.
We then moved to The Cassa Hotel in Chesterfield for the evening venue as Cressbrook was not available and again this was superb.

In summary if you are looking for a wedding venue with the "WOW" factor then this is the venue for you.

Room Tip: Consider staying in one of the cottages the night before the wedding-it really does ease the stress...
Reviewed June 7, 2012

from start of our wedding plans to our actual wedding day bobby and veronica did their very best to accomodate all our requests and wishes. It was in our eyes the perfect venue for our wedding day. We were very lucky that the sun shone for us so the beautiful gardens and scenery were fantastic for our photos. On the actual day everything ran like clockwork thanks to bobby veronica and all the other staff on duty that day to make it perfect. All our guests commented how lovely the venue was and for the guests that stayed were very happy with their accomodation. Both my husband and i would very much recomend this location to anyone wanting a fabulous wedding location with perfect scenery and a great team that will make your day a special and perfect one. Thankyou very much everyone at cressbrook hall.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

A fabulous venue with matching views.

We first contacted Bobby the owner only a few months ago with regards to planning our wedding, she was most helpful and had the knowledge, expertise and time to ensure all our wishes and ideas were taken into account. She provided a wealth of knowledge throughout which was extremely valuable. 25/05/12 our Wedding day was everything we'd hoped for, the staff were very polite and ensured the day ran very smoothly. The accommodation was excellent and all guests commented on the lovely location and scenery.

Highly recommended