“Don't understand all of the 'terrible' reviews”
Review of The Old Clubhouse

The Old Clubhouse
Ranked #59 of 113 Restaurants in Buxton
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Recently refurbished Local pub serving food from 12-9pm every day. Relax in the lounge area by the open fire place or dine in the candlelit dining room. This historic building is both dog and walker friendly, and encourages anyone visiting the area to sample our craft beers and wide selection of wines. The Old Clubhouse is the perfect place to spend your evening.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Had lunch there today, can't complain about anything. Had a large plate of food and quick service. Shall be visiting again :)

There are newer reviews for The Old Clubhouse

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were in Buxton today for an auction and had the misfortune of eating in this bar. First of all we were told that it would be a half an hour wait. Ok fair enough but the bar was three quarters empty??? Then my wife asked for Steak and Ale pie - not available . Ok - things run out. So my wife ordered Scampi and I went for Ham, egg and chips. We waited for 45 mins for these COMPLICATED meals to be delivered. Finally on arrival - they were on a SMALL plate and my meal consisted of - 6 yes 6 chips straight from the freezer. 2 bits of ham and 2 uncooked fried eggs. My wife had 10 chips and 6 bits of Scampi. The chips were also burnt. We own a bar and hotel - independent - and if we served meals of this quality we would certainly be out of business if not drummed out of town. 2 drinks - a glass of coke and a glass of fresh orange and tonic - the price - £12 for the food and £5.13 (?) for the drinks . The worst meal we have had for years and we will never darken their door again. Taking the p***. Mick and Kath Farwell

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Clubhouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Michael F

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Old Club House in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

John Barras

Reviewed January 28, 2014

recently revisited the old club house buxton, has recently changed hands with a new landlord,found it much cleaner and the the food has improved a lot. the staff also friendly,would go back.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Old Club House does actually feel more clubby than pubby - its spacious public area has big windows and lounge-y sofas and chairs. With an inspired hands-on onsite landlord at the helm, it could really be a bit special... but it's owned by a pubco, John Barras, and feels a bit formulaic and corporate.

Food is fairly priced, competently cooked but nothing special. Beers are a mixture of mega-brewco fizz and more interesting regional brewers' real ale offerings. Service is OK although the bar staff didn't seem particularly engaged on a not particularly busy Sunday lunchtime.

What really spoilt the place for us was the big sports TV screens - two of them commanding both main bar and seating areas, and almost impossible to ignore. Perhaps creating a quieter area for diners/talkers might pay dividends.

I'd go to the Old Club House again because it's not expensive and it's a warm pitstop in a town not noted for its pubs. But I'd probably check there wasn't a match on first...

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have eaten here a few times recently and am a bit perplexed by some of the recent very negative reviews. I have known the Old Clubhouse since it was first being renovated and turned into a pub in the early 1980s and although it had intentions of being a gastropub, never achieved them and that dream is long gone. For many years under different management/ownership it has tried to offer more basic pub food which is mostly bought in. The menu has changed recently and the steaks are fine, the cheese and parma ham croquettes are great and the brgers very good. Not many places offer you sweet potato fries (which are delicious). The carvery has only just started up again, which is why, I suspect, some of the staff may be a bit rusty and because it has been newly introduced many locals are not yet aware of it. I found the carvery to be fine, not the greatest I have ever had but a long way off the worst with a good range of veg and I am looking forward to eating the carvery again. The atmoshphere is great and the building is superb. It may need a bit of refreshing but considering large bits of it are listed I suspect the owners would rightly struggle to be able to do anything radical to it. It's not high end cooking but the food has improved and it is reasonably done. Note to owners, although the staff are generally good there are not usually enough of them and this is what I suspect is adding to the delays in the kitchen, possibly some investment of this type could reap great rewards and more generally positive feedback resulting in more customers and greater profits - just a suggestion. Don't go there expecting a "great" meal but go to get really good value for money, but until the staffing situation improves allow plently of time for your meal, saying that I have not had to wait the inordinate lengths of time some Tripadvisor contributors state thay have so I have to take their words for it. However I suspect that it is the few that have a bad experience who will post a review while the many who have been happy with their experience do not get round to it as I did not until today. I will be back and look forward to both the bar food and the carvery.

3  Thank Baszunia