“evening meal”
Review of The Old Clubhouse

The Old Clubhouse
Ranked #44 of 113 Restaurants in Buxton
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Recently refurbished Local pub serving food from 12-9pm every day. Relax in the lounge area by the open fire place or dine in the candlelit dining room. This historic building is both dog and walker friendly, and encourages anyone visiting the area to sample our craft beers and wide selection of wines. The Old Clubhouse is the perfect place to spend your evening.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

recently revisited the old club house buxton, has recently changed hands with a new landlord,found it much cleaner and the the food has improved a lot. the staff also friendly,would go back.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Old Club House does actually feel more clubby than pubby - its spacious public area has big windows and lounge-y sofas and chairs. With an inspired hands-on onsite landlord at the helm, it could really be a bit special... but it's owned by a pubco, John Barras, and feels a bit formulaic and corporate.

Food is fairly priced, competently cooked but nothing special. Beers are a mixture of mega-brewco fizz and more interesting regional brewers' real ale offerings. Service is OK although the bar staff didn't seem particularly engaged on a not particularly busy Sunday lunchtime.

What really spoilt the place for us was the big sports TV screens - two of them commanding both main bar and seating areas, and almost impossible to ignore. Perhaps creating a quieter area for diners/talkers might pay dividends.

I'd go to the Old Club House again because it's not expensive and it's a warm pitstop in a town not noted for its pubs. But I'd probably check there wasn't a match on first...

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have eaten here a few times recently and am a bit perplexed by some of the recent very negative reviews. I have known the Old Clubhouse since it was first being renovated and turned into a pub in the early 1980s and although it had intentions of being a gastropub, never achieved them and that dream is long gone. For many years under different management/ownership it has tried to offer more basic pub food which is mostly bought in. The menu has changed recently and the steaks are fine, the cheese and parma ham croquettes are great and the brgers very good. Not many places offer you sweet potato fries (which are delicious). The carvery has only just started up again, which is why, I suspect, some of the staff may be a bit rusty and because it has been newly introduced many locals are not yet aware of it. I found the carvery to be fine, not the greatest I have ever had but a long way off the worst with a good range of veg and I am looking forward to eating the carvery again. The atmoshphere is great and the building is superb. It may need a bit of refreshing but considering large bits of it are listed I suspect the owners would rightly struggle to be able to do anything radical to it. It's not high end cooking but the food has improved and it is reasonably done. Note to owners, although the staff are generally good there are not usually enough of them and this is what I suspect is adding to the delays in the kitchen, possibly some investment of this type could reap great rewards and more generally positive feedback resulting in more customers and greater profits - just a suggestion. Don't go there expecting a "great" meal but go to get really good value for money, but until the staffing situation improves allow plently of time for your meal, saying that I have not had to wait the inordinate lengths of time some Tripadvisor contributors state thay have so I have to take their words for it. However I suspect that it is the few that have a bad experience who will post a review while the many who have been happy with their experience do not get round to it as I did not until today. I will be back and look forward to both the bar food and the carvery.

3  Thank Baszunia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Old Club Advertises itself as the ideal place to eat prior to going to the theatre. A great location, this form of business should indeed be key to them succeeding. However, our visit to this establishment proved to be a massive fail on their part!

On December 21st we booked a table for for 8 of us for 5 pm knowing we needed to be in the theatre by 7pm, We asked the person we called if this would be more than enough time as we did not want to rush and we had three children in the party, we were advised this was no problem and they actually said they could guarantee we’d make the theatre. Four of our party including two children had travelled all the way up from Southampton.

We arrived at 5pm leaving us up to two whole hours to eat and get to the theatre directly opposite. We were greeted by the waitress for a drink order. We asked for milk for the children, but they do not serve milk. Not something I would not make an effort to moan or complain about but as I am writing a review about how terrible this place is I will point this pathetic point out too. She did offer to bring over a number of the tiny UHT milk for the children though. (Yes you read that bit right!)

When we arrived there were two other tables that were finishing their food, other than that we were next in line to be fed and served etc. It took 35 minutes (5:35pm) to get our order taken initially, which we were not overly bothered about as we still had plenty of time and the establishment knew we were to be going to the theatre at 7pm. At 6pm, the waitress came back to advise the Meat pie had sold out, so we had to order something else. This is fine although should have happened sooner!

At 6:20 we had to ask to see what was happening because most of the other tables which were now full and actually eating! They said it would be ten more minutes, at 6:30 they brought the starters (we only ordered two starters and asked them to come out with the main). I asked them to just bring out the mains as we now only had about 25 minutes to eat the two courses. She said that the chef advised all the food would be out in 30 minutes, which would take us to practically 7pm!! We advised this was not good enough, we complained that we had made the situation on time perfectly clear upon booking and reminded them upon arrival. We stressed that we now needed the children’s meals immediately, as they are slower to eat, and the main meals by no later than 6:40 (1 hour and 40 minutes after we entered the restaurant prior to all the other customers!). At 6:40 the waitress returned to advise that there was no fish fingers!! So we now had literally 5 minutes to eat and they had clearly made no attempt to start cooking anything yet!

We advised them to bring some food out for the children right away as they had not eaten and could not wait until 10 pm having travelled up from Southampton and to cancel the rest of the order. They had the cheek to try to charge us in full!!! I requested an amended bill and a couple of very rude, totally put out staff re-did the bill to include the pathetic tinned spaghetti and warmed pizza the children had and the drinks, which still came to £40.
As we were putting our coats on we saw another family with a table full of food uneaten also complaining due to the same thing. We had to eat crisps and malteasers in the theatre to ensure the elderly members of the group did not become hypoglycaemic!!!! We received a forced apology upon ten minutes of arguing with vary staff members including the alleged manager of the evening, who was useless. This was at 7pm as the show was starting!

We were so annoyed as this visit was a rare family get together, totally ruined by the incompetence of The Old Clubhouse staff. I will not be visiting this establishment ever again Thank you for ruining a special evening for us.

1  Thank Allnamestakenkaz
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Four of us visited Buxton on Sunday 8th December. The obvious lack of customers should have been a big clue and at that point I wish we had left. To our horror we were all helping ourselves to the vegetables in the carvery and found a DIRTY DISHCLOTH buried in with the cauliflower cheese !!!!!!! When we told the young guy that was restocking the roast potatoes he promptly stuck his fingers into the dish to pull the dirty cloth out AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4  Thank murraywg