“Very Good!!”

Ranked #1 of 39 Buxton B&B and Inns
London
“Very Good!!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Booked a room for 1 week for my mum in July 2012. She had a really pleasent stay. the room was very clean and the breakfast was very good also. Overall the standard is higher than some of the 4 stars hotels in buxton.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Martin G, Owner at Griff House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for leaving your review, we are pleased your mother enjoyed her stay at Griff House. It was nice for us to be able to provide her with a base from which to explore the Peak District both by bus and also on foot - she said she enjoyed her stroll up to Solomon's Temple.

We hope to see her again in the future.

Martin and Kathryn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife ,sister and son booked 3 rooms at very short notice to attend a family bereavement.I was born in Buxton and knew the old Griff.What a pleasant surprise to find this gem.Lovely rooms,fantastic power showers and comfortable beds.Very good coffee and tea tray in room with great biscuits.This is great but the high point of the Griff are the new owners Martyn and Kathryn.Welcoming and just "nice "people.The breakfasts were great and I recommend the Griff to all ,as the place to stay in Buxton.I will certainly be back.
Oh and the price is very good value.

Room Tip: Number 1 is big and has a double and a single.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for leaving your review. The reason for your trip to Buxton was a sad one, so it was nice for us to be able to at least provide you and your family with a comfortable and friendly environment. The "old Griff" certainly needed updating in a number of respects, we are glad you liked the changes we made - Griff House is now fully modernised whilst, we believe, still retaining its Victorian character.

We hope to see you again before too long.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed here while playing playing at the jazz festival down the road in Dove Holes. Landed on my feet! Beautifully furnished room - immaculate and tasteful. Comfy bed. Super shower in the cleanest bathroom I've ever seen. Tea/coffee facilities exemplary, with lovely buscuits, and the milk kept in a little fridge! Nice breakfast, (liked the home-made granola.) And what a friendly couple running it. Martin was so sweet about letting me in at half past midnight after I did a foolish and not-to-be -recommended thing with my keys... He wasn't even the slightest bit surly, even though I'd woken him up to let me in! Will be back, and bringing the family next time. Many thanks to you both. Kevin

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Martin G, Owner at Griff House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Hello Kevin, thank you for your review. We tried to make the rooms as comfortable as we can during the refurbishment so it's nice to hear such praise. We also consider it important to make our guests feel at home - after all, while you are here it is your home from home. The granola is freshly made every few days and does go quickly! We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully with your family next time.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying there this week as I was visiting an event in the area.

My colleagues were all in other B&B's in the area and all had gripes or moans about miserable owners, small bathrooms or not very clean. The Griff House is completely the opposite with plently of space and spotlessly clean.

They have recently renovated the whole building and the care and attention to detail really shows through in bucketloads.

Breakfast was more than I could eat and I left feeling revitalised and refreshed for the day ahead. Just what a great B&B should be.

I will be booking in again and so will my colleagues after such a great stay.!

Thanks again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Daniel, thank you for staying at Griff House and for your tripadvisor review. Since then your company has booked all of our rooms for the 2014 event and already paid the deposit - it's really pleasing from our perspective to make such an impression that results in a repeat booking so far in advance. We look forward to repaying your faith in us by making your colleagues feel as welcome as you felt!
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The house has been refurbished to a standard that I suspect Martin & Kathryn (Proprietors) would be happy to stay in themselves! Nicely decorated throughout. Pristine white bedlinen on a very comfortable bed, shower that was very efficient along with heated towel rail. Great supply of drinks in the bedroom including hot chocolate and herbal teas, plus a jug of fresh milk in the mini fridge! When I arrived back from the town (minutes away) on a particulary wet & windy Saturday, Martin offered to put the central heating on and when I requested a hairdryer Katherine obliged immediately. Breakfast next morning was excellent and mention must be made of the "home-made" granola. A really "homely" guest house and I would definitely recommend anyone thinking of visiting Buxton.

Room Tip: Quiet residential area only minutes walk to the town
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
You're right, we do try to consider things from the guest's perspective! We loved the house when we first saw it but knew it needed considerable TLC - the refurbishment gave us the chance to update the infrastructure and fittings whilst retaining as much of the house's character as possible. For the room consumables and breakfast, we try to stick to our principles of using locally sourced ingredients and offering a generous selection from which to make your choice. The home made granola bears this out and it's pleasing that it gets so many mentions in our guests' reviews. We hope to see you again one day.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay we had a friendly welcome, the room was very clean & comfortable.
The breakfast was very tasty and plentiful. The house is situated near the lovely park and Pavilion opera house and I would recommend this bed & breakfast to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Rita,

Thank you for leaving your review. We are pleased you and your friends had an enjoyable stay at Griff House and liked our breakfast!

We hope to see you again next time you visit Buxton and its Opera House.

Avignon, France
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great house, great people great breakfast! Very handy to town yet very quiet. Lots to do in the area

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for leaving your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We notice you gave us top marks for everything other than value, which you scored at 4 out of 5. You paid £95 for the night for three people in our family room, including breakfast. We believe the pricing of our family room offers good value and is certainly in line with comparable nearby guest houses. All our en suites have new showers and fittings and all our bedrooms will shortly have brand new furniture to compliment the new carpets.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you and your family back to Griff House in the near future!