“a warm welcome in Buxton”
Review of The Old Hall Hotel

The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Midlands
“a warm welcome in Buxton”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

After a long drive through the dark, the Old Hall Hotel was a very welcome sight. From walking through the door on Friday night to leaving on Sunday morning, we felt really chilled. The staff clearly love their job and are very proud of this hotel. We ate in the wine Bar on Saturday night- great menu, loved the fish and home made chips. The only recommendation I would make to the management would be to up date the reception area,as it is not a true representation of their lovely hotel.

1 Thank munchymolly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We went to Buxton for my wife's 50th birthday, just for the weekend.
The Old Hall is centrally located and convenient for the town, with a nice view over the Pavilion Gardens.
Staff were probably the friendliest I have come across in any hotel, and couldn't do enough to pleae. Service was excellent.
We ate in the wine bar, where the menu has apparently changed recently, and although we had intended to go out for a meal on the second night, we decided we had no reason to. The food was excellent, using local produce and cooked to perfection.
We never had to wait, and yet the straff were not obtrusive either.

Breakfast was great too - full English, perfectly cooked. Again, no waiting, we were served immediately.

Although they say wi-fi is only guaranteed on the ground floor, I got a good signal in my first floor room and was able to do everything I wanted.
The room was clean and comfortable and quite spacious.

We will be going back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I recently had the pleasure of staying at The Old Hall Hotel and was given the single room in the flat. I had a very pleasant stay (in spite of the weather!) and my stay could not have been any more enjoyable.
The staff were friendly and helpful , the food was excellent and everywhere was smart and clean.
I was especially pleased with the receptionist who took my phone booking . One of the nights I wanted was fully booked " just a minute" she said and came back to me with the bedroom in the flat. Many hotels do not promote this kind of service, especially for a late booking.
If you are looking for a friendly and charming hotel you will definately enjoy staying at this one.

London
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I visited the restaurant in the Old Hall Hotel to celebrate our first wedding anniversary last month. The food and service were fantastic. The friendly waitress offered us a taster of the two wines we were struggling to choose between, which was a very nice touch. The restaurant was traditional and welcoming, as was the lounge in which we enjoyed post-prandial coffees.

It was extremely quiet; by 8pm on a Sunday evening, we were the only people in the restaurant (presumably most of the weekend tourists had gone home) – but this still didn’t affect our enjoyment of the evening.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My husband booked a one night stay at the Old Hall Hotel (Room 7) as a treat. The rooms on the internet looked lovely so he booked an executive room (£150 per night). I was very much looking forward to our stay until I walked into the room. First thing I had to do was open the window to let the smell out and some fresh air in. The bed wasn't very big, the carpet at the bottom of the wardrobe was thick with muck and dust and the chairs felt sticky to touch on the arms. The bathroom curtains were covered in cobwebs and dust, the base of the taps needed cleaning as did the toilet bowel and there was hair in the bath. If this was the state of the executive room what were the standard double rooms like??? My house, I'm sure, isn't perfectly clean but then I'm not charging people £150 per night to stay there in my muck. We were both absolutely gutted and the weekend was ruined. Definitely would not recommend staying there unless it is fully refurbished, could be beautiful! A visit from Alex Polizzi (Hotel Inspector) would be beneficial.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank garner040
Cheltenham
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We have just celebrated a family 90th Birthday party at The Old Hall, Buxton. All of us (23 in total) were very pleasantly surprised at the standard and quality of service we received. The food was reasonably priced and exceptionally well presented and cooked, the rooms well furnished, warm and clean. Overall a really excellent weekend and one we all will remember not only because of the special occasion but also thanks to the charm of this lovely old hotel and the friendliness and professionalism of the staff, expertly led by Vicky. I will definitely return and absolutely recommend to anyone visiting Buxton.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I stayed at the Old Hall in July during the Buxton Festival. The room was great with a lovely 4 poster bed. Breakfast was great as was the lunch we had in the wine bar during our stay. The hotel is ideally situated, very central opposite the park. All of the staff in the hotel were very pleasant and helpfull. Really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to The Old Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!