“A Hotel Depends on its Staff and This one has a Great Team”
Review of The Old Hall Hotel

The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We went to the Buxton Opera House and decided to stay over. This Hotel is very old but has a great team running the front of house! We had the pre-theatre dinner where you return after the show for Dessert and Coffee which was great.

We had Room 39, an executive room with Flat Screen TV, Nice Bathroom with Tub and Shower. Six foot wide bed was really comfortable but we still managed to get up for a Full Breakfast. Highly Recommended and we would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed August 12, 2009

We booked this hotel the day before we arrived and got the very last double room. We expected to be in not the best room and overlooking the bins or something, but we were right at the front of the hotel in a lovely room overlooking the pavilion park. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great. Although it's an old hotel, it was very clean and the bathroom was modern.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

It was my first time to the Peak District and was really looking forward to a weekend away from London. Booked on the spur of the moment and found the hotel website was enticing. Althought the room rate was £150 (incl Breakfast) I decided to book.

On the Plus Side, we found the all the Staff very helpful and polite from the Receptionist to the Bar Staff and not forgetting staff at Breakfast.

Now the negatives. We got room 36, like the last reviewer. Size was adequete but not larger than average (in my experience) There was a large damp stain on the wall and the TV picture was appalling. The bed, althought comfortable was small for a 'Executive Room' . We had dinner in the Wine Bar, was looking forward to Deep Fried Brie as a starter, which was on the menu in room and on the Website but there was a different menu in the Bar - No Brie ! This may seem trivial but it is all about Customer Expectations. More attention to detail required.

I should have complained on my departure but being British I didn't ! I think it is the price that upset me the most, when I pay £150 I expect the best and it was probably the oustanding beauty of the area that softened the disappointment of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlanJH
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We stayed here for one night as a stopover on the way home. All the staff we met were really helpful. The food was lovely and the hotel was full of character. I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it. We stayed in room 36 at the back of the hotel its large room and very comfortable and for the money it was excellent value!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend at the Old Hall. A charming cosy hotel dispite there being a wedding reception on the Saturday night the hotel had a great atmosphere and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The rooms - executive doubles were spacious but cosy with wonderfully comfortable beds which were just what were needed after a long day walking in the peaks. Food was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife & I stayed in the hotel as rare escape from the kids & to combine with a bit of Christmas shopping & a play at the Opera House (which we absolutely love). It's the second time we've stayed at the Old Hall & chose to stay there again mainly for the great location - central in Buxton & over the road from the Opera House. We went for a "standard" room & were actually pleasantly surprised - from what we remembered of our previous visit the room was rather nicer & certainly had none of the "getting a bit tired" vibes that you sometimes get from this age of hotel. We loved the fact that the floors sloped & the room had all the charm you would expect of this type of hotel. The price seemed OK given the location, not cheap but maybe not over the odds either. Really must say that the staff at the hotel were without exception very friendly & polite - made a welcome change from the usual standard in English hotels. I don't think you can go far wrong with this place, especially if you're looking for somewhere to stay next to the Opera House & where you can get something to eat after the performance.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Another late review on my part but here goes anyway...

We stayed here in September as friends of ours were having their wedding reception and evening do so we decided to make the most of it and stay two nights.

Nice friendly reception staff and nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room was most impressive (room 15), it was huge with plenty of space to hang wedding clothes, suits etc and a lovely dressing table. Bathroom was also very nicely done out with ample toiletries. We discovered that all rooms had been given new beds and I have to say this bed is one of the comfiest I have slept in at a hotel/B&B. It was tastefully decorated as well - in fact this room was nicer than the Mary Bower room our friends had for their wedding night!

Breakfast was definately above average - good choice and plenty of tea with DECENT tea bags/leaves! We didn't actually have an evening meal in the hotel as we ate out the night before but the wedding breakfast was very good and also the buffet later in which had generous portions and good selection.

My only criticism of this hotel was the price and some of the public rooms could do with attention (except the main restaurant) as with the corridors up to the room. Even though our room was lovely, the hotel is not in the 4 star bracket and I do feel £100 is rather alot to pay (and this was with a discount as we were part of the wedding party). In fact I would have been happy to stay at the hotel for three nights but I wasn't prepared to pay another £100 so we `transferred' to the Grosvenor B&B up the street.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Premier Inn Buxton Hotel
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to The Old Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!