“fantastic hotel very welcoming our 3rd stay here”
Review of Buckingham Hotel

Buckingham Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed January 30, 2010

this was our 3rd time at the hotel and again it didnt disappoint we booked into the 4 poster room as a treat and it was beautiful it was themed the john travolta room as all the bedrooms are themed on actors/actresses it was warm spacious and had a homely feel to it,the breakfast was again lovely with plenty of variety to choose from i would happily reccomend this hotel to anyone and have booked my sister in law and her husband in for a stay next week.Keep it up stoon and staff we will be back in april look forward to seeing you all anita and joe whetton

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed in the Jack Nicholson room, I quite enjoyed guessing which film each of the pictures of Jack were taken from, but on reflection I'd have preferred to have stayed in the hotel from 'The Shining'. I booked a family room at the hotel weeks ago, I did it online, can't remember which website it was through, but I did think it odd it asked me for number of adults but not number of children. Anyway my booking confirmation e-mail stated I had booked a family room for 4 people. However on arrival I was told their information stated that there were just 2 adults booked in, so the room only had a double and a single(so not enough space for me, my wife and my 2 daughters). When I complained to the guy who I think was the manager, he said there were no extra beds available as the hotel was full. When I said I wasn't happy about spending 90 quid to sleep on the floor he said he could give me a small reduction on the room rate. I found this offer hard to refuse, but I also suggested I might look elsewhere in Buxton. He quickly pointed out if I did, I would still be charged for my room. The conversation kind of went like Randall P Murphy trying to reason with Nurse Ratchett. Eventually we were provided with a mattress. Brilliant, 90 quid to sleep on a flea bitten mattress in a room not big enough to swing a hobbit in, which looked like it was from the set of 'George and Mildred' Booked the hotel in the first place as I liked the website, Fawlty Towers references and all. Didn't think it would be a literal reference, but to be fair the staff were fine apart from my experience with Basil. To paraphrase the great show, what I'm saying is that this is the crummiest, worst hotel in the whole of England (though I've heard there's an even worse one in Eastbourne). Never,ever again. Breakfast was nice though.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Having been given glowing reports from fellow travellers about the Buckingham Hotel in Buxton and the ease in which you can access the site on the internet a couple of old wrinklies (well 53 and 51 actually) decided to make that our base for a long weekend.
The hotel was perfectly located in the spa town and gave us ample scope to explore the locality or drive to further attractions in the region. Our room(No 30 and featured in the website bedroom photographs) was spacious and comfortable. Being on the top floor did necessitate us using the rather small but informative lift on the way up but the groaning staircases on the way down were quicker.
The much publicised breakfast lived up to its reputation and gave us a tank full of enegy for the rest of the day. It even had 49 breakfast cerials available to select from as well as full english cooked and toast/fruit etc. The one night we did manage to be back at the hotel to sample their culinary delights we both found the food to be very tasty and good value.
The staff were very attentive and made the stay a delight.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

From the outside it looks just like any ordinary hotel, but step inside & you find its not. You are warmly greeted by the lady on reception. The photos around the hotel are a great idea cos whilst looking at them you then start talking to others also looking at them. The cards in the lift are also a good idea cos you start looking at them & before you know it you have arrived at your floor. The room was bright, clean, cheerful & comfortable. The bed was very comfortable & I don't usually sleep well in hotels this one I did. Just 1 tiny gripe, couldn't lock the door as the catch on the inside didn't seem to do anything & there wasn't a chain. My wife was at a large chain hotel on her own & the night porter opened her door at 2o/clock in the morning as the guy said he had left his key in the room, which wasn't his room at all but she is now understandably nervous after this unpleasant episode and a chain would have put her mind at rest. The bathroom had a wc, shower, little bottles of shampoo, bath wash, soap and a bath to die for. We now want one like that at home which means re-building our bathroom. Everything in the bathroom was clean & it didn't smell of stale water lilke some hotels we've been in. Going into the resturant we were greeted as though we were old friends. The choice on the menu was breathtaking, The food was excellently cooked & presented on the plate. There was a side plate with vegetables on for each guest & there was a choice of 6 different items on there, (& they were actually cooked properly) , this didn't include potatoes as they were on the main plate. I liked the fact that you were left alone after you had finished each course to digest before the next one was bought to you. This meal was excellent value for money. The bar was lively as there was a crowd of people in there. Breakfast was a whole new experience. There was an excellent display of umpteen jars of jams & marmalades on shelves & even toast racks. There was every conceivable cereal available, we've never seem so many different boxes (apart from in a supermarket). You helped yourself so you could have as much or as little as you wanted. There was different juices available not just the usual 3 & the choice on the menu of cooked food was just increadable, you picked what you wanted & this included fish. We stay in loads of hotels throughout the year with work & for our hobby, this is definately the BEST hotel we have stayed in . We have recommeded it to family, friends & work collegues. Next time we're in Buxton this is where we will be staying (that's if it has availablity of course).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JHRacing
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We've been twice- as you have seen from other reviews, if you want sterile chain hotel surroundings with matt carpets and bored businessmen, dont stop here. This is a hotel with a quirky individual touch from the owner, who we were pleased to spend an evening with sampling some of the enormous range of draught lagers. Location is good and yes the rooms are 'tired' by some standards but that is a. reflected in the price and b. is well documented. If you want a unusual but pleasant stay with nice staff at a sensible price that relects what you get- I recommend. PS the film posters everywhere are because the owner does a bit of film critic type activity............

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Im sad to say that we booked a special anniversary weekend and chose a hotel that was very disappointing. The room was booked as a twin. What we got was a double and a single which were at the opposite ends of the room-not exactly twin! The bedding was mismatched and tired and not appealing at all. The carpet was from the 1970's and the decor circa 1980's. ALL paintwork was chipped and hanging off. The units were chipped and old.................basically it was horrible...........The bathroom was very cramped with a cracked wash basin (which you have to squeeze past to get to the toilet). No more than one could get in there at the same time. We were in room 6 which was opposite a nursery, which on a weekday would be very noisy. The lift is so covered in movie flyers it gives you a headache.The breakfast room had been stripped of all curtains and areas of the wallpaper had been sellotaped back in place-need I say more?? The general cleanliness of our room was very low. Dust on the bedside tables etc. The only plus side was the breakfast and staff. Couldn't fault either. Wifi was a bonus.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldie67
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Breakfast - good; well cooked food in Resturant (watch out for hidden extras i.e Salad) Room:extremely poor - outdated, grubby, uncomfortable bed (2 cigarette burns on coverlet, expensive for what it was, horrid bathroom (having drained bath an upsurge of yukky water erupted back into bath! badly decorated and awful pictures all over the walls of same woman which made me feel uneasy. Not atall the relaxing 4 days break I was looking forward to. Buxton, however, is beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
The Palace Hotel
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to Buckingham Hotel? Share your experiences!