“A...Different Experience”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A...Different Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Great location, all staff very helpful (apart from one), very quirky setting, spotlessly clean but the Johnny Depp room (where we were staying) had a strong and inexplicable chemical smell (we can still smell it on our belongings and have even had to wash unworn clothes, bags and toiletries to get rid of the smell) - it made us feel nauseous as did one member of staff.

When we politely questioned an administrative error, we found this one staff member to be officious and a little hostile (we ended up having to pay for a night we didn't stay). The cost to us was negligible and immaterial but her attitude and questionable customer service skills did spoil our stay and were the determining cause of our early departure. Please be aware - the fact we didn't receive a refund did not upset us - it was simply her attitude. I'd recommend that you immediately notify staff of problems - but I wouldn't recommend expecting gestures of goodwill from this lady!

It would be unfair however to concentrate on the one negative (yet significant) aspect of this hotel. We found it a nice place with excellent food, a tremendous selection of beers, lots of room, excellent resources, brilliantly located and very easy to find.

Visit the Buckingham for a very different and borderline esoteric experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at the Buckingham, we wished we had been able to stay longer. We found the hotel easy to find and it was just a three minute walk through the pavilion gardens to the Opera House in Buxton town.
The staff were all very friendly and the room we had was quite large and had two nice easy chairs to lounge in. The bathroom had a free standing bath and a separate shower cubical. Everything was lovely and clean and had my favourite toiletries.
The hotel bar was bustling and friendly and prices were very reasonable. If we get the chance to stay in Buxton again, the Buckingham Hotel will be our first port of call.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Our room was clean and a good size, the beds were comfy, the tv worked fine but was old as were the two chairs, the bathroom was enormous, but in desperate need of a makeover. My biggest gripe however is with the breakfast, yes it has loads of cereals, juices and preserves, kippers, kedgeree etc but no eggs and bacon etc and it costs £20 for 4 and you make your own toast! The pancakes my children had looked and tasted bought in and I wonder how much food is freshly made there. We ate in the restaurant once and I had liver, bacon and onions, their menu said it would be 'pink' alas mine was grey and tough and drowned in gravy!
I think the hotel could be great if they spend a bit of money on it and take their food more seriously. It's in a great location and just needs a bit more effort and a change of the silly website.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank liver70pool
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I read the previous reviews, my finger hovered over the 'book now' button and then I went for it. I'm very pleased I did. We didn't get anything fancy but the price we paid reflected that. It was like stepping into a 1980's time warp in terms of decor but that's O.K. It's warm, comfortable and friendly. The bar is excellent, with chatty locals and a happy hour! I'ts close to the town centre and really offers a good base from which to explore near and further afield.
I have one complaint, the pillows were shocking. Lumpy, bumpy things, like having your head on a sack of grain, but I would stay here again, I'll just take my own pillow next time!

1 Thank potatohead187046
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Trying to find a hotel to suit an elderly lady with exacting needs is not easy. However The Buckingham did not disappoint. Other reviews have remarked on the faded splendour and this is true, but the hotel is super warm, the restaurant food is out of this world and the choice of jams and cereals at breakfast is a trip down memory lane. Location wise it is positioned so close to the Pavillion gardens, the opera house and arts centre, town centre and all the delights of the Peak district that you will need two or three days to enjoy everything on offer. We would have liked to stay longer to work down the dinner menu.
The only down side for us were the very heavy fire doors to the rooms - but even an 85 year old managed that when no one was looking!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best view - but my attic room had a fantastic bathroom. From the glimps...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen T
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed here for 2 nights with family and had a lovely stay. We received a warm welcome on arrival and were quickly checked in and given our room keys.

We were in the Piers Brosnan room! All bedrooms apparently have a theme and I think it is a nice tough that goes with the quirkiness of the hotel. It is an older building and could so with a little TLC in places but on the whole it is a lovely place to stay. Our room was perfect for our stay and it was clean and tidy and larger than expected. My only criticism would be the size of the shower - it was a little on the small side and the force of the water was not that great but it did the job!!

The hotel offers a continental breakfast which we did not try whilst we were there but some of my family did and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

The staff are all lovely and friendly, helpful and very accomodating. Even the locals in the bar were extremely helpful which is a great accolade to the establishment - this hotel really is a lovely place to stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Buckingham is a fun place to stay, lots of photographs of movie stars, flock wallpaper and interest. We stayed in October and it rained all weekend but it didn't detract from the enjoyment of staying here. the rooms were warm and cosy with comfortable beds. we had a room at the front and it was very quiet. The bar was lively and busy on Friday but very quiet on Saturday for some reason.
All in all a great eccentric hotel. Well worth a stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends