“Lovely central hotel - staff are an asset!”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at The Palace Hotel for a weekends stay in June14. The hotel has an amazing location, right in the heart of Buxton.

The hotel is clearly a historic building, and must require a lot of upkeep.The bedrooms are large and clean with all the modern amenities you would require. We had a lovely nights sleep!

The breakfast/dining room was a grand old room - spacious and well laid out. The breakfast times were busy, and could perhaps benefit from a few more staff.

We can't write a review without mentioning the staff who were a true asset to the hotel. From check-in to checkout they were all friendly and helpful, although they clearly worked long hours . A special mention should go to Christopher in the restaurant who was extremely hardworking ... and although I'm sure he was busy he made time to talk to us one-to-one, and made us feel very welcome!

All in all we were very pleased with the hotel, especially the staff who made our stay, and we would defiantly recommend it.

Room Tip: A room on the front of the hotel - overlooking Buxton would defiantly be the best option
1  Thank ShadeLA
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear ShadeLA

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Christopher, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto them and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed for a Friday and Saturday night in June 2014. The hotel is well situated and quiet, of an old construction but with clean new furniture, Wifi and reasonable in-room amenities. The hotel spa facilities are better than average and the buffet cooked breakfast one of the best that I've encountered. The hotel provided entertainment bags for our children which kept them happy and the beds were large and comfortable.
However, the excellent staff were inadequate in number for the events of Saturday night, when a wedding party in the East wing meant that our dinner service took nearly three hours to complete, with three incorrect orders, chips that were raw potato in the centre and a mash that contained lumps the size of £2 coins. The wedding party was also noisy but I can't blame the hotel staff for that. They were courteous in the midst of the issues and afterwards mailed on my daughters hairbrush that she had left behind. On a quieter night I would have loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from any wedding/prom parties, preferably near the spa and restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Matthew J
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Matthew J

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel has so much potential but management are clearly making enough money (judging by the bustling breakfast on Sunday morning in the large dining room) to not care which is such a shame as with a bit, a lot, or somewhere in between levels of attention this hotel could improve. Everything you look at from the walls, to the carpet, to the bedroom just screams old, and in need of a deep clean and/or a paint job.

The rooms were stuffy in the day and then cold in the evening which made no sense. The bathrooms were huge but old tiles and a yellowing shower curtain wasn't exactly great. The shower trickled out water which just added to the growing list of disapointments.

The breakfast buffet was good in terms of choices but don't expect the quality itself to be anything better than average.

Another couple couldn't get a room here (which backs up my earlier point of it somehow being a successful hotel) and booked a boutique B&B a little outside of Buxton. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it but do a bit of research on B&B's with excellent reviews nearby and book that instead!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Molly_N_Mike

I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Beautiful hotel with lovely rooms and good facilities. Breakfast was excellent but dinner disappointing. Some of the meals would only be suitable for a 500 calorie day and service was poor. As it was included in our package it wasn't a big deal but we were put off dining in a second night. Central location with easy access to Buxton's attractions.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear C B

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Very tired hotel with a very dated view of what customers want. Having to pay for car parking in a non city location is disgraceful. A magnificent building and prime location but desperately needs updating.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mike A

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I booked this hotel with high expectations due to it being £183 per night ( albeit we got the advance booking price of £160). In addition the photos of the hotel give a very good impression and it is a "spa" hotel.

This hotel was certainly a grand and luxurious hotel once, but that would have been a very long time ago.

It is shabby and very, very tired. The bedroom furniture was scratched and chipped and cheap. The en suite was extremely poorly fitted and grubby and very small. It was too hot and the windows barely opened.
I rang room service for 2 glasses of Prosecco, to be told that there would b a tray charge of £5.00. I politely objected and asked the very nice lady to refer to her manager to review this as I wasn't prepared to pay someone to carry 2 drinks to the 1st floor for me. To her credit she did, and she rang back to say they wouldn't charge on this occasion. The lady who brought them to our room, (I assume the same one who spoke to me on the phone) was very friendly and pleasant.

At breakfast we were swiftly told that we had to help ourselves to everything, even make our own coffee and toast. I would expect this in a budget chain but given the price we had paid I fully expect a waiter or waitress to look after us. There were no waiting on staff, clearly saving on the wage bill.

I never cease to be amazed at these tired and shabby British hotels such as this one who think that customers are happy to pay £180 per night for their substandard offerings when we could stay in a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge for substantially less money but get contemporary bedrooms and bathrooms and immaculate cleanliness and value for money.

I will not be returning next year when I will be in the area again for the same event I attended in June.

I do not mind paying these prices, and in fact frequently do, and more for some hotels. I have stayed in 5 star hotels and Premier Inns, it is horses for courses. But I expect to get what I pay for and to get value for money. This hotel needs a huge modernisation and renovation programme to bring it into the 21st century and then to be able to look their customers in the eyes when they ask for £180 per night,

Room Tip: Don't bother- find another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Helen Frances S

Dear Helen Frances S

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We went to stay at this hotel for one night on an Amazon package and we enjoyed it so much we decided to stay another night. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the room was also very nice with a lovely view over the gardens. Food was good and the service was excellent. This building has an amazing staircase and lots of character. The hotel is in a wonderful position overlooking the town and is handy for the Opera House etc. The restaurant staff were particularly attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The lady at reception was very considerate and very knowledgeable We really enjoyed our stay and reading some of the reviews I wonder whether these people were at the same hotel as us!!!!!

Room Tip: Premium rooms on the front of the building are excellent
3  Thank Emsie65
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Emsie65

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

James Lake

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!