“Shabby but not chic”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Shabby but not chic”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

The hotel promised much with the photos on the website, but the reality was a run-down hotel with poor quality facilities, and only mediocre levels of service and food to compensate. The leisure club and swimming pool were inadequate, and there is no way this hotel should be rated as 4 star.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank MoseleyMum
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear MoseleyMum

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

My room was on the 3rd floor with a view of the countryside around as well as over Buxton. It was dull and a bit shabby and smelt so strongly of bleach that I went out and bought cheap perfume to try and mask the smell. The window opened a little way but wouldn't stay shut unless I put the catch on. This meant climbing on a chair each time to reach the catch.
The bed though was comfortable but there was a limited selection of teas and biscuits (very small) and no bottled water. The bath was a bit stained and the water for the shower took over 10 mins to run hot in the morning. When it was hot it was difficult to keep at a good temperature. If you altered it, even a fraction, it ran cold and then so hot it was scalding.
The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast surprisingly good.
I do resent paying for parking in the hotel grounds when the rooms are so expensive for poor quality hotel.

Room Tip: rooms at the front have the view (especially higher up). You could ask for a re-furbished room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Amarajyoti
Dear Amarjyoti

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here on a walking weekend. The room was pretty large and good soundproofing. My bathroom was huge. The restaurant is a very impressive room, very good food, considering we were a large group, lovely building in a good location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear WendyLord62

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here with my wife as part of a pamper package. This is a grand Victorian hotel, the likes of which would not be built today, and do not meet modern standards.
Attempts have been made to decorate and re-furbish the hotel but not to a very good standard. In some public areas the paint has been applied so thinly that the previous colour shows through.
We stayed in a premier room but I doubt it was worth the extra cost. Furniture was old, scratched and damaged. There was no heating in the room despite the drop in temperature outside.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was limited in choice and was average at best. If you are offering a limited choice you should be able to do it really well.
On the positive side, the breakfast was excellent and staff were friendly, helpful and attentive.
Would we stay here again? No

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for a town view, it's not worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mekong50

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto them. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Medford Lakes NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here for one night in a twin room. The staff were great and very helpful, but the decor is a bit banged up and tired. A good scrape and scrub are in order. There was a bit of damp in my room and the windows steamed up rather easily. The beds were pretty comfortable as I recall. The bathroom was serviceable, but nothing spectacular. The elevators were small and slow, especially after a hotel function let out and everyone was trying to get back to their rooms. The bar was a bit small for such a large hotel, and a missed opportunity for them. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, but I had just gotten there after they'd put out more eggs. Apparently the lady in line in front of me had been waiting for them to bring more eggs out for some time. I wasn't impressed with the toast making set up or the coffee/tea making machine.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear jujicam

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

North West
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Called with a group of 42 people for a Sunday Lunch. I've got to say it was very good with excellent choices and very reasonably priced. It is a lovely building with olde world charm, I hope to stay their in the not too distant future.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear NorthWestTravelMan

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you all enjoyed your Sunday Lunch with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Yours Sincerely

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here for a wedding. 2 mins walk from station so convenient for non drivers. Hotel room was clean but dated. Food was good, drinks were quite expensive. Very large hotel so for those with walking difficulties I would request a room in the central building

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank HollieBow
Dear HollieBow

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!