“Friendly staff made the stay for us”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Derbyshire
“Friendly staff made the stay for us”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My partner and I booked in overnight as we were attending an event at the Opera House and wanted to visit the Pavilion Gardens - the hotel is exceedingly well positioned for both. As a couple, we were given a very spacious family room that was well-equipped overall (although personally I found the mattress hard and missed having a bedside table on my side of the double bed). The views from the window were fabulous however and what really made the stay was the unfailingly helpful and friendly attitude of every staff member we encountered. We weren't in the hotel for long, but were made to feel very welcome and greeted with eye contact and a smile by every employee. To finish it off, there was a varied and plentiful breakfast in the conservatory. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Mary D
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Mary D

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

James Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Nottingham, UK
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed for one night. The room was very tired with cracks in the bathroom tiles, stains on the chairs, an uncomfortable bed and very dated furnishings - it was generally clean though. We had a room at the back of the hotel with a view of scaffolding and an unattractive flat roof! The breakfast was disappointing - tasteless, very thinly cut, bread; the hot food wasn't very hot and not of very high quality either. I was also surprised to be charged for car parking on leaving as I think this should be included and not an extra. The hotel rooms really need some money spending on them to bring them up to modern day standards. On the plus side the staff were very friendly but we would probably not stay here again.

Dear Richard K

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and your stay overall, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto them. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Rawtenstall, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Faded glory , this hotel could be wonderful they just need to spend a bit of money smartening it up, great location , be careful if you want to dine in the restaurant the menu is pure 1980's IE disappointing . also the bed was uncomfortable and took us ages to get to sleep . but staff are friendly enough just not very well trained or attentive , not really sure how this hotel is classed as a 4 star though . one last thing don't forget the car parking charge a bit cheeky I thought !!

Dear postmanaidy

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2014

£200 for two nights B/B, dinner on 1st. night. Dreadful room out at the back, Unbearably hot ( couldn't turn radiators off ) Dinner average but breakfast fine. Complained to no avail and finally landed with £9 fee for the privilege of using the hotel car park.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear georgina925

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travelers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Honestly have no idea how anyone can say they were disappointed with this hotel!

Everything was great, the only real thing I was a little wavered by was the fact I had paid for champagne and chocolates to be delivered to the room on arrival as it was a special occasion and when me and my partner entered the room, it was no where to be seen but I advised reception and they brought it to the room for after dinner, (they did proceed to forget the chocolates but we were too stuffed anyway)

Another niggle, not to do with the hotel this time though, was the bells chiming every hour of the night but never the less the rooms were exquisite, we stayed in the premium double room and it was fab!

Food was lovely, both evening meal and breakfast. Can't fault the staff, they catered to our every need even with 2 bus trips in!

Will definitely be going again :)

Room Tip: upgrade to the premium rooms, they're lush... Oh and bring ear plugs for the bells!
1 Thank GetawayGal2014
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear GetawayGal2014

Buxton
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The rooms located to the west side of the hotel suffer severely from the Devonshire Dome bells which sound extremely loud on the hour throughout the night very disturbing.
Breakfast poor, food quality average, greasy and when juice available it was watered down too much. Queues for the food and drinks machine felt like a school cafeteria.
Rooms are very dated, showers poor a generally hotel needs a good clean, redecoration and some TLC

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

2 Thank Kevan T
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Kevan T

In terms of the bells sounding from the Devonshire Dome, I do understand you concerns and I will make enquiries with the University to see if they can stop it sounding after some point in the evening however the bell tower is obviously a historic part of Buxton and there may be some sort of order preventing this change.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Absolutely lovely hotel, fantastic staff. The building takes your breath away and none of the lovely old features have been spoilt. The staircase is sweeping, the ceilings are high and it feels grand in every respect. I travelled here for my hen party, we booked through Spabreaks. The spa treatments were very good, the rooms were spacious.They were clean and furnished in keeping with the historical flavour of the hotel with beautiful views across Buxton on one side! ( I was one of the lucky ones, it was breathtaking!)
The food was all very,very good especially breakfast! and we all had a ball, thanks to great wine and accommodating, pleasant staff.
We are already talking about coming back with our individual partners and friends and we feel like we have found an absolute gem of a short break destination!

Room Tip: Request rooms at the front of the hotel for stunning views across Buxton, but all the rooms had thei...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Anna G

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!