The Palace Hotel
Navigation Inn(Buxworth)
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)
  • Breakfast included
3,155 results
All reviewsgrand old hotelgrand staircasesweeping staircasecourse mealbuffet stylebit datedshort breakopera houselovely viewfull englishchandelierscharacterderbyshire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Taking my disabled mother in law and few family members for a treat was bitterly disappointed. For a start at £25 per couple we expected a level of quality and service befitting the price and grandeur of such a high profile hotel. We were ushered into the conservatory which was quite pleasant but spoilt a little by the previous nights cruet and crockery on the window ledge. Then EVENTUALLY a somewhat abrupt waitress delivered tea and coffee cups etc followed by tea itself. My cup was dirty on the inside and the wrong coloured lipstick on the outside for me. Ten-fifteen minuets later she returned with a cake & sandwich trays and I pointed out the cup. She grunted sorry and went to get another. By the time she returned my tea was stewed and cold. I asked for some more and she said it would be extra? So I pointed out that the menu stated tea was unlimited with the afternoon tea package. She said that that was a new one to her?? Eventually got the replacement tea had the sub standard afternoon scones etc and left VERY disappointed. Service spoilt the whole experience

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank GordonShorrock
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear GordonShorrock

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Needs a makeover booked in for three night stay was looking forward to a short break.On arrival staff were really friendly and this is the only part that gets a five star rating.The bedroom was small and unclean we had to scrub the kettle before use not a good start.Breakfast was a disappointment so much so we ate all our meals apart from breakfast because it was prepaid,in other places.Will not return will stick to the budget hotels.

Dear BrianL250

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We arrived early at around 1pm, our room wasn't ready and we were given the option of paying an extra £10 to "upgrade" to a bigger room which was ready or we would have to wait for an unknown length of time. We paid the £10 but in hindsight wished we hadn't.

Service in the restaurant was very poor. The staff were chaotic, the dinners either side of our table left before we had ordered and their dirty cluttered tables were not cleared until we left at 10.15.

Half way through our meal loud 1970's pop music started playing which was completely in contrast to the décor and style of the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Russell32014
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Russell32014

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. We guarantee rooms are ready from 3pm each day, however we are more than happy to take bags to your room whilst you go and enjoy the delights of Buxton.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Having read some of these reviews that are quite negative I felt I had to write a review. The palace hotel, what can I say about it?Yes the rooms may need a little tlc but they are always clean, tidy and well presented. The hotel doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. The staff are always helpful, polite and attentive at all times. The food, from what I've experienced of it has been wonderful and service been very good. This hotel will always be a special place for me and my husband as we got married here and have returned every year for our anniversary and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Nat-Evs

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Beautiful Hotel, just old and tired! Was upgraded to a family room, only got 2 extra beds, not a nicer room! Could not open window, single glazed and steamed up. Needs repairing or even better replacing.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Joan M
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Joan M

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.