“Good location, great food, service could be improved”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed June 26, 2013

First impressions weren't very good. The receptionist was obviously having a bad day. Gave us our room card but didn't give any information about meal times, how to book a table for diner or about the spa facilities.

Very little information in the room so as a result we went down for diner (we were staying on DBB deal) butr had to wait 45 mins for an available table. However the meal was very good.

Breakfast the following morning - great choices but I had to ask for the fruit bowls to be refilled.

The room was very dated (which I had expected given previous reviews) and the bathroom could have been cleaned better (dust behind the toilet) but overall not bad value for money. Geat location within and easy 5 mins of town centre but don't usually expect to have to pay £4.50 car parking for an overnight stay

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joel F, Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Thank you for your review and comments. I am pleased you liked our location sat just above the town centre.

There are newer reviews for The Palace Hotel

Reviewed June 26, 2013

the weekend we stayed at this hotel, a high school prom and a charity evening were being hosted, both of which continued well into the small hours with live and loud music, and we were not advised of such either on booking or when checking in. The hotel is complacent about its location and I dont feel it warrants the 4* rating, as the service was 2* at best.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a good nights sleep, suggest you contact reception on booking and ask if ther...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrsALee_13

Thank you for your notes. We always endeavour not to let other event disturb guests. We do have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day to assist with guest needs.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Thank god we booked our stay at the palace hotel with a voucher from livingsocial.com because I would not pay full price for this.

Where shall I start, we had a 2 night stay including 3 course meal + wine on the first night, plus afternoon tea on day of check out, we purchased the voucher from livingsocial.com for my birthday so me and my partner could get away for a few nights. Location is excellent and the hotel architecture beautiful. Check in was fine, went to the room. We'd be given a family room with a double bed + 2 single beds cramped in a small space despite there only being 2 of us???

There was scaffolding and builders outside our room window. Hammering and making loud noises. They could also see into the bathroom! I kid you not. We went downstairs to complain and the receptionist seemed clueless and unaware of any building works going on. Huh?? We were moved to another room. The size was tiny. There was barely space to walk around the bed, the view out of the window was onto the back of the hotel over what looked like an industrial estate. At this point I just gave up of any hope of a decent room.
The bathroom was tiny, cracks in the ceiling with damp mould and paint coming off. Shower head was old yellow stained and black mould around the bath, the shower curtains were also old and brown at the bottoms, yuk!!!

We went to dinner that night. We were given a restricted menu which was included in our voucher. 4 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. It was poxy and nothing better that what you'd see at a pub. Maybe the full menu is better however we weren't asked if we wanted to see it.
There was a few bottles of wine on the wine menu for the guests using a voucher, the voucher said 3 course meal + bottle of wine so we assumed it was with dinner, right? We ordered a bottle of white with the waitress only she came back 5 minutes later told us we couldn't order any of the wine because the wine that was included was in the room. They'd left a cheap bottle of red in our room on the desk which we assumed was a welcome gift or an act of kindness as they knew it was my birthday. Apparently not so, the bottle of wine in the room was the wine included with dinner. We weren't asked red or white and when we asked them if we had to leave the table to go up to our room to get the wine they told us we couldn't bring it into the restaurant and had to drink it in our room!!!!! Seriously!!!!
The manager came over and explained to us again that the wine for dinner was in our room and we couldn't bring it into the restaurant. This makes no sense at all and no one made us aware of this. She said it wasn't her fault because she hadn't started til 5pm and got defensive. Like this is some sort of excuse? In the end she said if my partner left the table to go up and get the wine we could swap it for a white wine off the menu and pay an extra fee. Safe to say we were both pissed off by this time.
We ordered food and the starters arrived before the wine "swap". We had no drinks and were not offered water until the wine came. Starter was not impressive. Main course I ordered chicken in casseur sauce with baby potatoes & shallots. It was cold unseasoned the sauce was like water and the potatoes hard. Oh but this was after the waitress had taken our mains to the table next to us, they were confused as they hadn't ordered that and it was our food, I felt so humilitated I leant over and told them that's our food. Waitress comes over no apology and takes the meals off their table and puts them on our table and walks off.
No one came to ask us if it was ok. I'd given up by now to be honest. If it hadn't have been included I wouldn't have paid for it.
Dessert was ok I had bakewell tart. No offer of tea or coffee.

Breakfast is self service buffet, not worth £15 but again was included with our deal. Coffee machines weren't working properly, juice station messy and not refilled.

We had afternoon tea on day of check out. We asked to sit in the conservatory as it was bright and airy we were told no. Waited 20 minutes for afternoon tea why it takes that long to make a few sandwiches and plate some cakes I have no idea.
There was also lots of scaffolding and builders in the hotel reception area outside the restaurant lounge & bar changing chandeliers making loud noises and everyone in the bar left. Why they have to do this during the day around staff I've no idea, completely killed the atmosphere.

Pool was ok, very small and not clean as expected.

I wouldn't come here again and it's definitely not 4 star. Huge disappointment, I don't wanna leave a review this bad but I'm angry with what happened.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank naomi c

We appreciate your comments and are sorry for the disappointment you felt. We always try to keep maintenance work out of the view of the guest wherever possible but with some tasks this cannot be done. The restaurant has a daily changing menu of 5 starts, 5 main course and 5 desserts.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

husband and I stayed here last week. Lovely hotel, with really lovely staff.Hotel is clean and well cared for. Julie on housekeeping is a delight Our room was lovely, on the second floor, over looking the town. The staff in the dining room are very friendly, Sarah with her ever smiley face. The hotel is perfectly positioned, just across the road are a few really nice restaurants, and very close to the shops. Some reviews are saying hotel needs updating, Personally I think the building is steeped in character, as I say, we found it clean, the staicase is lovely with a nice carpet. WE had a lovely room, the floor boards creaked a bit, but so what, oh and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds weve ever slept in. We cant wait to come back. Thank you Palace Hotel, hope to see you again soon. ..

Room Tip: we were in 209 on the second floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

The team are delighted to hear you enjoyed your break with us so much. We hope you are able to return to the Palace Hotel soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went on a spa day with 4 others (June 2013).

The hotel itself is very grand and a lot of high ceilings and definately some character in the reception/bar & restaurant.

We ate there and the food was presently very nicely and was tasty with good attentative bar staff.

The staff in the spa were very friendly and extremely helpful.(I had contact with Emma and Holly from the spa). The treatment rooms, and relaxation room were very nice and relaxing as a spa day should be. I had a very nice pedicure by Holly and my mum had a hot stone massage which she really enjoyed.
I would recommend any bride and her bridesmaids staying the night before the wedding to use this facilities and get some treatments.
As the other reviews have said the changing rooms/ pool area is a little tired/old but they are currently doing some rennovations in this area so I would expect some improvements soon. They have also listened to suggestions and the is some nice greeny around the pool making it more into a spa pool. The pool itself is clean and an excellent size for a spa and you can swim lengths which often isn't the case at some spas.
I didn't use the gym in the end but it had a lot of equipment and was a good size for the spa.

Overall the staff were excellent and you could not fault them

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Have stayed here a few times over the past 15 years but not for the past 9 years. If I lived that long it would be another 90 years before I would go back. It was awful. The bedroom we were allocated was awful. It was like a cupboard with a smaller cupboard for an ensuite. We complained and were the allocated a superior room which was fine. Dinner the first night was very good and the staff member at our table very efficient and chatty. Breakfast was everything I dread in a hotel - self service for everything including tea and coffee from machines. Yuck!
Dinner the second night was an experience I hope never to have repeated. It was clear from the moment we walked into the diningroom that there were tensions among the staff. Some of the table staff were clearly not speaking to one another and the waitress we had had the previous evening walked past our table a number of times without acknowledging us in any way.
The food was dreadful. For a main course I had meatballs with pasta in a neapolitan sauce. Well that was what it was supposed to be. The four tiny meatballs on the plate had been grilled and so were burnt on the top and undercooked inside. These had been placed on top of a serving of pasta with a spoonful of cold tomato puree to the side. When I complained the waitress serving us became very confrontational. I complained to the duty manager at this point. The cost of the meal was immediately deleted from our bill and steps were taken by her to sort out the problem. The waitress from the previous evening almost immediately came over and spoke to us asking what we had done that day etc. but no apology was forthcoming from the offensive member of staff. I have already advised the hotel of my concerns but guess what - no reply! What else did I expect?
Advice for everyone - stay well clear.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
2  Thank mlcwPrestwick
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for two days on a grouping deal, I agree there could be some updating, but to be honest what do you expect, we thought it was lovely.
Meals were excellent and staff were very good, even the chambermaids had a nice word when you passed them.
Thought the gardens were nice and position was very central.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#7 of 9 in Buxton
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!