“Odd room shapes, tired bathrooms but great food and service!”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed April 29, 2013

For our one-night stopover following a university open day for oldest daughter this was just fine. Huge staircase and hallways, welcoming reception staff and a touch of renovated grandeur giving a hint of what it must have been like in its heyday. Yes, the rooms were oddly shaped and a tad cold in the unseasonably snowy weather and the bathroom could have done with a deep clean . . . BUT on the up-side a very good evening meal and breakfast. Good choice of good ingredients and really delightful service. Would stopover there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
DGraham77, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Palace Hotel. I am delighted that our friendly team had such a positive impact on your stay and you enjoyed dining with us. I will naturally address the bathroom cleanliness, but am pleased that you felt comfortable and at home throughout your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels’ Collections

Write a ReviewReviews (3,051)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here during a works event. After looking at the rooms on the Internet I was impressed and looking forward to staying .
Unfortunately the room was aweful and not worth half the money we paid . This is no where near 4 star hotel.
Tired and dirty rooms. We ordered room service and paid a fortune for a sandwich, plus £5 fee for bringing it to the room!
Checking with many other friends staying they were very disappointed too.
Breakfast was cold and horrible

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank staffscasey

Thank you for leaving us with your comments following your recent stay at The Palace Hotel. I am disappointed to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations on this visit and would like to assure you that the feedback you have given us allows us to continue to make improvements for the future. We are currently undergoing a rolling refurbishment programme for The Palace but apologise that you felt underwhelmed on this occasion.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We visited the spa during my hen weekend, there should have been 8 of us but only 7 could attend, the man who treated us on reception was very friendly and helpful, we were shown around the hotel and spa, we were given our towels, gowns and the forms to fill in for lunch and our treatments. 2 of my hens are heavily pregnant and could only use the pool we did find that there was a lack of seats around the pool to relax and the relaxation room was not big enough to house the whole group together! We had a problem with on of the gowns and asked at the beauty desk if it was possible to have either a tie or a new gown the reply was a straight No!, we asked the friendly man at reception and he brought on to us no problem! The lunch was lovely in the sun room and our treatments were lovely I have double with one head not attending Holly was my beautician and she was lovely I was totally relaxed after.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am delighted to hear you had a friendly welcome from our reception team and that your beauty therapist made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated after your treatments. I will discuss your other comments with the Leisure Club Manager so he can look to make further improvements to our offerings.

We hope to be able to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I arrived after a long journey of 3 hours at 9 am. We were planning out door activities, but the weather was uncooperative. We requested the receptionist to see if they could give us a room any sooner than 2pm. The gentleman was very obliging and said that he would discuss with his colleagues to see if he could help. An hour later I spoke to a lady receptionist rather expressionless and in no mood to help. She reminded us that we were meant to be checking in at 2pm a fact that we were already aware of. I then said that I would wait in the bar area just in front of the reception requesting her to let me know when a room was ready. A simple "most certainly" would have been nice" considering I was sitting directly in her line of vision. The reply I got instead was a sullen well you can try at 12 noon. I wish businesses would employ or train people to have better skills at customer servicing skiils. Not even having seen the room I have decided I am not coming here any more. I dread to think what awaits me for the coming 2 days. Will keep you all posted. I shall wait here tapping away on my computer.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kat_sree
DGraham77, Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you have had problems on check-in. Please do contact our 24hours Duty Manager via the front desk who will be happy to assist and ensure you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Was given this room as ours was not ready on arrival, have no idea why it was not ready, . The room is terrible, tired and has a bizarre seperate toilet? The door of the toilet opens directly opposite the foot of the bed!!, so if you get up during the night the light will waken your partner and nothing is left to the imagination!. You then have to go to the bathroom to wash your hands, giving two extracter fans to run on! There is no view from this room, just a wall really. I have to agree that this hotel has seen much better days. We had a evening meal in virtual darkness, i thought on approaching the dinning room it was a seance? The food was ok, not very inspired and the service is slow, they did apologise for the slow service. The spa is ok, the pool could be a lot bigger but was ok for a spalsh.
We went there for my birthday, if it was not for the fact that Buxton is such a nice place this room and dinosour of a hotel would have ruined it. We did mention our dissatisfaction at reception and the could not have been move unintrested if they tried. Remember the parking fee, why you have to pay i dont know.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 129, avoid it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZipWirral
DGraham77, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you for the feedback and we are sorry you encountered problems during your visit. We would welcome the opportunity to speak to you about this, if you are happy to please call the General Manager on 01298 22001

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Until the owners refurbish this establishment I would give it a wide berth! Not up to scratch and I visited last year after a 20 year gap from its heyday. Tatty furniture reception and the rooms are cold and basic.Not a happy place.

Room Tip: Sleep on the lawn!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Spithead

Thank you for your comments. We do have a rolling programme for refurbishment but I am sorry the hotel was below your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. If you are happy too please do contact the General Manager on 01298 22001.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here on the 15th April and were both impressed with all aspects of the hotel.
We had a table for 11 in the restaurant for a birthday celebration and much enjoyed the service as well as the food.
Mr. Holdcroft was exceptionally helpful and courteous during check-in.
Thankyou for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and we are delighted your had such a good Birthday stay.

It is always a pleasure for the team to welcome people celebrating special occasions and we have a range of different packages depend on what you are looking for.

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels’ Collections

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Westminster Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 2 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!