“Tired but good value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Sheffield
“Tired but good value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for luxury this is not the hotel for you. However, thats not to say it isn't worth the trip. Yes, it needs an upgrade, which would probably cost a fortune, and mean much higher prices, and I doubt thats going to happen, but the sheets were like new, the room clean and the breakfast adequate. A power shower was definately needed in the bathroom (along with a re-furb). It's in an excellent location, the staff we came across were friendly enough, so as far as needing a room for the night, this fits the bill. And there is a 4.50 car parking charge. A bit cheeky, me thinks, considering you are a paying guest, but I guess "every little counts". It was an easy choice for a group of 10. You get what you pay for. Didn't use the pool or Spa so can't comment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CazzaSATC
DGraham77, Front Office Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for the review, I am glad that your stay was comfortable and that our staff provided the service levels you expected. I apologise that some elements were not completely satisfactory and all comments we receive are reviewed.

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels’ Collections

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
Telford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a Victorian spa town hotel built at the height of the railway boom when money was no object. Unfortunately, the very tired (exhausted? Maybe even dead?) building, in all its aspects, proves that these days it very much is. We're talking wood chip and cheap, non-descript wallpapers, a 70"s colour scheme, no fridge/mini bar (4 star??), badly designed and awkward-shaped en suites - and yes we can speak in the plural since it took 3 different rooms to find one we considered habitable. Even then my wife refused to use the bath. However, on the plus side, the staff were all, without exception, extremely helpful and friendly - my wife suggested apologetic in their demeanour - and were more than willing to sort out any issues.
Breakfast was OK - nice sausages that were spoiled by needing to have been kept hotter - they had started to get a greasy texture. Restocking of items on the buffet was often less timely than it could have been, but again the friendly, helpful staff responded to requests rapidly and happily. We did not eat in the hotel at night.
This is our second experience of a Barcelo/Puma hotel, and this experience was similar to that one. This is one chain that in future we will be avoiding at all costs.
Oh, and watch out for the parking charge on the way out - apparently it is on their website but nevertheless it came as a surprise to us. Am I the only person who thinks it better to pay £5 more for the room and have parking included than to be hit with an unexpected charge the next morning?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I apologise that your stay with us was not satisfactory. The building I assure you is not ‘dead’ as other reviews confirm and under our general managers guidance we are continuously re-vamping a lot of areas and improving quality all the time. I thank you for the comments regarding the staff, we feel that we have a very customer focused team that are very attentive. If there any of the points you make you would like to discuss at any length, please contact our general manager on 01298 22001 he will be more than happy to talk with you.

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels’ Collections

Travelers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Cheddleton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

As we were attending a Company Party at the hotel, we took advantage of the facilities on offer and decided to stay over for one night at The Palace Hotel, making a party invitation into a weekend away!! We had orginally booked a standard double room, but as we arrived at reception to check in we noticed that there was an offer to upgrade rooms for only £5 per person...so again, we took advantage! What a great offer - we were then shown to our HUGE room, with fabulous views, style and charm, and also included Breakfast in Bed! Before attending the party we enjoyed a couple of refreshments in the loung bar downstairs - very relaxing and friendly staff. The party itself was fantastic - great food (very decent portions considering the amount of guests, 100+), nice layout of the tables, dancefloor and being next to the bar area - plenty of places to mingle. We had a great nights sleep and thouroughly enjoyed waking up to our breakfast in bed - the porter knocked on our door at the time we had specified with our hot cooked breakfasts!! Complete with juce, tea/coffee and sauces. It was great.
The only regret is that we didn't get time to use the Spa facilities - I had a look round and it looked lovely (not 5* quality but definitely worth a dip and a steam!) This hotel is full of style, charm and an authentic "Palace" feel. It is spotless throughout and kept as up to date decoration wise as it needs to be. No hesitation to stay here again!!

Room Tip: Definitely take up the upgrade offer if you can spare the extra cash on arrival :-)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for the lovely review. I am very pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and took us up on the bedroom upgrade offer, it is nice to be able to offer people the opportunity to use these rooms during quieter periods. I will pass on your comments regarding the party and food to the relevant departments, I am sure they will very much appreciate the praise. I really hope you do return to stay with us again.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

After reading some not very nice stories about this hotel I was to say a little aprehensive about staying here. I booked this a suprise weekend for myself and my husbands first Valentines together as husband and wife so I wanted it to be very special and relaxing as we both have busy lives. I have to say the hotel was more than satisfying it was clean, comfortable, relaxing, warm and very picturess inside and out, the room was very big, bright, clean and very comfortable and warm, the staff could not do enough for you and were extremly friendly iI even had cocktails made for me that the bar staff had not heard of before and she went away and researched them, brilliant there are not many staff or people now days who will go above and beyond their duties to help others. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thankyou to the staff at The Palace Hotel. :-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DGraham77, Front Office Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review, it is great to know that our staff are performing to such high standards. I am really happy that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and hope that you return to stay with us again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

we stayed here for 3 nights from friday 22 february. We were very happy with everything about our stay here. The staff are so friendly and proffessional and polite. The room was clean and had all we needed, yes decor in our room is a bit tired but its fine. The breakfasts were delicious and had a very good selection. We would definately stay here again and would reccommend the hotel as well.

• Stayed February 2013
I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable and it is nice to see that you will return. Thank you for mentioning the staff, it is always nice to receive praise for them and thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great friendly staff try it spa if you want a gym it's for all ages the entrance and landings are fantastic very spacious showers a little basic but only negative very close to nightlife parking on grounds

Room Tip: Front of hotel great view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review and comments regarding the staff, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at the Palace Hotel on 9 and 10 October 2012; this was a business trip. Firstly, public transport communication links from Manchester Airport are poor and the taxi fare is expensive ...... please be mindful of this if this is how you are travelling.

On the dates of my stay the hotel was fairly busy and this may have accounted for the extremely slow service in reception, restaurant and the bar although the staff in these areas were polite and knowledgeable. Also, the food in the hotel is surprisingly good despite the doubts in my mind created by the slow service I mentioned. Actually, the biggest gripe I have is with regard to the standard of the bedroom.

This was my second stay at the hotel and I was hoping that the room I had on this occasion would have bettered that of my earlier stay alas that was not to be. The mattress was extremely soft to the point of being useless, the carpet was filthy and the the room cold. The wardrobe was shallow which meant that once my coat hangers had been placed inside, the wardrobe doors would not close!! annoying.

The bathroom was very poorly presented; bath and sink sealant was grubby and the shower curtain was too short to reach from the curtain rail to the top of the bath. If the shower had actually worked then the floor would have been soaked. Given the bathroom is tiny then I am sure that this would have leaked into the bedroom. All in all this was not a good experience; the hotel building is potentially beautiful however sadly it is in dire need of a facelift.

Room Tip: I have heard from other guests that some rooms have been refurbished so ask for one or be prepared f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I apologise that your stay was not fully enjoyed, if you would like to discuss any of the points you make the general manager would be glad to oblige and can be contacted on 01298 22001.

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels’ Collections
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!