“A truly phenomenal golf course”

Cavendish Golf Club
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This may sound very cheesey, but you really do have to see it to believe it.. By far the best golf course I have played in Derbyshire.

As a visting party we played in July and had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

I was made aware that there is only 3 greens staff maintaining this little gem. This is an outstanding achievement by the lads and we all don't know how they do it.. The course lives up to the name of 'little Augusta' with firm fast and true greens, and the sceneric veiws are brilliant.

Overall If you would like a reasonable priced round of golf on a prestigious course the Cacendish is for you.

Thanks
From a very happy VP!!!

There are newer reviews for Cavendish Golf Club

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I'm Treasurer for two golf society's, both of whom have played across the North West for the last 10 years. We always try to play at new courses - for variety - but when we play a really good course it tends to stick in the annual calendar.

Every one of our members had a great day at this club. We did bacon butties, 7 hole Texas scramble, soup & sandwiches then 18 holes in the afternoon for £30 which is excellent value....but normally at that price you would anticipate an average course.

Not so, this course was in excellent condition and a credit to the ground staff. There's plenty of variety and the scenery, views etc are stunning. The greens are in excellent condition, hard to read mind but really, really good. One or two of our more senior members did find it quite hilly, so they got buggy's in the afternoon...but the rest of us were happy with the climbing up hills as the view were worth it. We even got rained on 3 times, twice at near monsoon levels, and even that didn't dampen spirits!

The clubhouse has a nice traditional golf club feel, all staff couldn't do enough to help and had a great attitude. I'm specifically referring to a very welcome lack of stuffy golf club attitude, which might have worked for people in 1980 but these days just puts people off!

A final special mention to the lovely barmaid/manager Toni who gave us friendly, smiley service all day - with nothing being too much trouble. Absolutely delighted to see a 21year old with this great attitude, so many of her peer group simply can't be bothered these days!

1  Thank OrgasmicCry
Reviewed May 30, 2012

People often say that great things come in small packages. Well Cavendish is no exception. To start, the designer doesn't come with a higher pedigree than Dr Alister Mckenzie (Augusta fame amonst many others), but it really is a challenging and aesthetically attractive course for it's 5,900 yards. At par 68 it is every bit as much a test of golf than a great many so called "championship" coures.

Scenery is fab, food is very reasonable and well worth a try for a mid-week society. Enough said!

Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

The Cavendish golf course is a beautiful scenic golf course. The staff and members make you feel welcome. After playing a round of golf I noticed since my last visit that the course has gone down in my estimation. The course isn't kept to it's once high standard and I was surprised to hear by a whistleblower that annual membership has also declined which may sum up my personal conclusion. The Cavendish golf Course has so much potential and if the course is managed and put back to it's former condition then I'm quite sure that membership will raise once again.

5  Thank retrodude
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We had a small works day here on a Friday the fee for the round was £25. It was built by Alister MacKenzie of Augusta and many other fame. As soon as you get on the greens you will see why, undulations and subtle and not too subtle borrows is the name of the game. I played okay and still had six three putts but still enjoyed the experience. The setting is brilliant and the opening three holes with the exception of the greens are relatively easy. Then comes the first of a number of sand wedge/wedge par 3's....but get on the wrong part of the green at your peril! After the 4th you get into the nicest part of the course through the trees until coming out again on an excellent risk and reward par 5 the 14th The 18th is an exceptional finishing hole with an almost links like undulating fairway. Overall and excellent experience that I would recommend and will re-visit whenever I can.

3  Thank iantoes