“Interesting structure”

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Interesting structure”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very interesting structure and is the largest unsupported dome in Europe. Was initially built as stables and also used as a hospital but is now home to Derby University. Visitors are allowed into the building but photographs are not allowed. Well worth a visit

Visited November 2013

Cambs
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Disappointing spa experience for the price!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I booked a DeStress and Renew (1 hour massage and 1 hour Elemis facial) package at £65 and a Neat Feet and Dandy Hands (1 hour luxury manicure and 1 hour luxury pedicure) package at £45. What a disappointment. I arrived at 12.00 noon and was booked in efficiently and promptly. I had 1 hour in the spa area before my 4 hours of treatments were due to start. The whole spa is extremely clean and well maintained. The hydrotherapy pool is fantastic and the same as i have experienced in 5 star hotels. The sauna, steam and aromatherapy rooms are really nice too, although there is only 1 toilet cubicle and 1 shower cubicle for the whole spa - not really ideal and the changing rooms were extremely small and not big enough to accomodate more than 3 people at a time (there were lots more than 3). There are loungers for relaxing, product demonstration area and refreshments are freely available. 'Heaven' I thought and couldn't wait for my treatments which were sure to be excellent weren't they? No! they weren't. My therapist Camilla, came to collect me and explained the routine. She was polite and courteous. My full body massage was first. This was actually quite nice and the best of all 4 treatments. Next came my facial - what a letdown. I have never had a 'facial' like it! it consisted of a 2 very quick cleanses, tone, bit of an ineffective facial massage (bit of tapotement and not much else), mask and moisturise. Nothing was done on my neck or decollete which is always usually included in a facial of 1 hour. (I am a fully qualified Beauty Therapist and have had many treatments at various establishments from my local salons, beauty therapist friends to 5 star spas). There must have been at least a total of 10-15 minutes when there was no physical contact from my therapist - it is industry standard to always keep one hand on the client at all times. Because of the length and amount of times there was no contact, i physically jumped when she started to touch me next. This happened several times and was not at all relaxing because I just laid there wondering if she'd fell asleep or forgotten what she should be doing! Next came my 'luxury' manicure and pedicure - and I use the word 'luxury' very loosely indeed. My manicure was first - a file, soak, cuticle work, bit of a buff and massage and then the polish. I chose a lovely dark navy which she ruined because she painted right up to where the cuticles were and right to edges - this caused the colour to flood my nail bed. What a mess. She tried to remove the excess but this just made it worse - it looked like a 5 year old had done them. I politely told her i wasn't happy and she said that the polish was too runny. It would have been fine if she hadn't painted right up to my skin! She asked me to choose another colour, which I did - a blue that wasn't quite as dark. This was slightly better but again she painted right to the edge which meant she had to use remover to get rid of the excess. My 1 hour manicure was finished nearly a half hour later. My pedicure was last and at this stage I was totally fed up. This was the same as the manicure except no buffing, no exfoliation but did include a bit of hard skin filing. I left the spa at nearly 6pm. I was the last client to leave. My nails were still wet because they hadn't had enough time to dry. All in all, an expensive and not so nice experience. Even though the Spa is run by the University of Derby, all the students are fully qualified Beauty Therapists and mine had been qualified and practicing for 11 years! Shocking - I would never return. However, I am sure that not all of the therapists were as bad as mine.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank MrsHolidayJunkie
Lund, Sweden
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Dome in Buxton”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

A quite impressing building. The world's lrgest selfsupporting dome, at least so they say. Now a part om the university.

Visited September 2013
Lundin Links, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Memorable Wedding”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Attended a wedding in the Dome. On arrival we were mesmerised by the building, its size and the architecture of the structure. It turned to be an amazing space for this function, the way the huge space was separated out and used for different purposes i.e. a bar area, dining, a bouncy castle and other "attractions" The food (we had to make our choices in advance of the day) was all tasty. There was a considerable time between courses but no-one seemed to mind. When food was being served it was done efficiently.

Visited October 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“A nice building steeped in history”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you are in Buxton i would recommend visiting the dome. I went to university in Buxton and all of my classes were in the Dome. It's a building with a lot of history but there is not much to do inside. 1 overpriced cafe and 1 severely overpriced restaurant. There is a spa in the basement that is run by the students that I've heard is nice.

Visited November 2012