“A BIT LET DOWN..............”
Review of Three Tuns

Three Tuns
Ranked #4 of 33 Restaurants in Hay-on-Wye
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Description: The Three Tuns dates back to the early 16th Century - although some records make even earlier reference to this, the oldest pub in Hay on Wye.Famous for its unique charm and character, Three Tuns became a popular haunt with local characters and well known personalities such as Jools Holland, Marianne Faithful, Neil Kinnock, Huw Edwards and some as infamous as the Great Train Robbers!Unfortunately the Three Tuns suffered a devastating fire in 2005, but a sympathetic restoration has brought life to the old building once again.Enjoy the huge inglenook fires, 16th century beams and the sympathetic new additions such as the garden room and large beer garden
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went on recommendation. menu small but offers something different to usual run of mill pub food. However, I felt my meal was a bit of a let down, the soup was homemade (good) but tasted more of apple than parsnip. The fish and chips arrived as a gigantic portion, tons of chips which overfaced me, and the mushy peas were al dente, and not to my liking as I considered them undercooked. The fish was beautifully fresh. Very pleasant staff. The room was a little cold and other guests were stoking the fire!

1  Thank morwyn1
ThreeTuns, Owner at Three Tuns, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and I am sorry that your visit was anything less than perfect. I have passed your comments on to Chef and they will be taken on board. We had a small problem with our heating system which made it difficult for us to keep the building as cosy and warm as we would like (but only when it was exceptionally cold outside). This has now been fixed.

I do hope that we can welcome you to the Three Tuns again

There are newer reviews for Three Tuns

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I and a group of 17 of my friends dined here over Christmas. The food was excellent, I really don't understand the below reviews about their experiences as ours was the best. I am local and The Three Tuns is one of my favourite places to go, I only go there for a treat because it is that special. Yes,a little bit on the pricey side however most places around Hay are like that, the only difference with the Three Tuns is that it is worth the money! I love the feel and I love the style, it really makes the experience worth while. The staff made our experience the best as nothing was too much hassle and with 17 old(ish) people, really did see to all of our needs!!

Will definitely be returning and will definitely be spreading the word of this great place in Hay!

ThreeTuns, Owner at Three Tuns, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Wow this is great feedback and so nice to hear that you appreciated the teams efforts and that they made your time with us special for you. To answer your point about the other reviews, we suspect that they are from competitors ! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Visited twice over Christmas week, including a very, very good Christmas dinner on the 24th. Service was super efficient and very patient with our group of 14. I had to put up with my husband going on about their great roast potatoes for a very long time.
Warm, welcoming place for a quiet drink during the day too.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to leave this feedback which is much appreciated. Great to hear that you enjoyed the roast potatoes too - we are very proud of them ! Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had a late supper during the Hay festival and had disappointing food and service, but felt this could have been a result of how busy staff had been. So gave it another try with a large family party in the Summer. It was worse, if anything. The food was uninspiring, came in a haphazard way with some of us finishing courses before others' food arrived. The chips were really bad! Although the restaurant wasn't busy we felt we were constantly forgotten by the staff, and it felt we were disturbing them each time we asked for something.

Shame as there is a shortage of really good places to eat in the evening in Hay.

2  Thank Harriet B
ThreeTuns, Owner at Three Tuns, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback though obviously disappointing that it was not favourable. With so much time having past since the date of your visit it is difficult for me to investigate exactly what went wrong but please be assured that your experience is not in any way typical. My sinecure apologies

Reviewed December 2, 2012

sunday lunch one of the worst attempts at roast beef meal we have ever had in every way don't go there

5  Thank 1broadbean
ThreeTuns, Owner at Three Tuns, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

How strange ! You didn't complain at the time (one of 75 Sunday meals we served that day with nothing but praise) and I notice that this is your only review on Trip Advisor !