Another lovely stay in Hay-On-Wye, which would be incomplete without visiting The Old Black Lion! We ate there every evening!
A wonderful friendly welcome from Dolan, the Owner and all her staff.
Cannot fault the food...meals were mouth-watering and delicious.
Cannot wait for our next visit to Hay!
Well done everyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within the market town of Hay-on-Wye, this colourful 17th Century Inn exudes historical charm and atmosphere offering quality home-cooked food, luxury accommodation and free Wi-Fi and parking. With parts of the original building dating as far back as the 1300’s, the Hotel subtly blends the elegance and whimsy of the past with the comfort and convenience of the present. Indeed, it is even reputed that Oliver Cromwell once stayed at the inn whilst the Roundheads besieged Hay Castle, which was then a loyalist stronghold. Sympathetically refurbished, exposed timber beams and roaring log fires help to cultivate a homely environment and a famously warm welcome.The Inn features 10 high quality en-suite bedrooms, all of which are individually and tastefully decorated in a style reminiscent of the buildings historic past. All rooms include free Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TV, hairdryer, direct dial telephone and tea & coffee making facilities. They offer a choice of Single, Double, Twin and Superior room options.The Old Black Lion is renowned for the quality of its food and has received a host of rewards and accolades including a coveted AA Rosette. The menus, which are changed frequently, use only the best of British produce wherever possible including locally reared meat, fresh seafood from Cornwall and seasonal vegetables. The oak timbered bar with its scrubbed pine tables and comfy arm chairs is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the fantastic selection of local ales (including their own namesake ‘The Old Black Lion’).The Hotel is located in the heart of the Welsh market town of Hay-on-Wye just a short drive from the A438, it also offers free on-site parking for guests. The city of Hereford is roughly 35 minutes away and offers excellent transport links to the rest of the country. For those flying in, Cardiff International Airport is about a 95 minute journey from the Hotel.The Old Black Lion is situated just a three minute walk from the centre of Hay-on-Wye. Renowned internationally as a Mecca for bibliophiles the town offers over 30 bookshops, many selling specialist and second-hand books. It is also home to the annual Hay Festival, Europe’s premier literature and arts festival. The town lies on the east bank of the River Wye and is within the Brecon Beacons National Park, just north of the Black Mountains. Offering some of the most breathtaking scenery in Wales, the surrounding area is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts with both the Offas Dyke Path and Wye Valley Walk passing through the town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Old Black Lion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Black Lion Hotel Hay-On-Wye
- Old Black Lion Hay-On-Wye, Wales