“The best food in Hay...”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bistro @ The Swan at Hay
Ranked #28 of 33 Restaurants in Hay-on-Wye
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the Victorian market town of Hay-on-Wye in the Welsh Marshes, The Swan hotel is set in a snug 'n' cosy grade 2 listed Georgian coaching inn. Literary luvvies and local food lovers are regulars in the hotel's two restaurants ��� the formal dining room, which serves dinner and Sunday lunches, and the less formal bistro which serves lunch and informal dinners. The hotel also has a garden ideal for summer al fresco dining. Head Chef Harry Mackintosh has created a traditional British menu with favourites including the pan-seared scallops with sunblushed tomatoes and orange sauce; the duck breast served with herb mash and chorizo cassoulet; and the classic Eton mess with crushed meringue, Chantilly cream and raspberries.
Reviewed April 26, 2012

....well, at least of the three restaurants we tried during our visit. We ate in the Bistro, which was sadly lacking in custom in a rainy April Thursday. However, seated near the fire (gas, but cheering) we found the atmosphere, service and menu promising. We shared a slate plate of brasseola to start, with local beer and Merlot for me and my wife respectively. A good start, but there was better to come. My wife's wild mushroom linguine was pronounced excellent, but my duck, with roast potatoes roast parsnip and green beans was beyond excellent. All cooked to perfection, the duck was tender, the new potatoes soft and delicious, the beans perfect al dente and the parsnip it out question the best I have ever tastes, all served with a very tasty and right amount of gravy and well displayed.

I finished with creme brûlée and home made shortbread. A perfect end an enjoyable three days in Hay.

1  Thank David H
There are newer reviews for Bistro @ The Swan at Hay

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Lovely food and at sensible prices. Good selection on the menu. Nice surroundings with good service.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Although the menu wasn't huge, the food was excellent as was the service

Reviewed January 23, 2012

We felt it was rather expensive for the quality of the food but there are few other options locally and we really didn't want to drive! The atmosphere was pleasant though and the staff could not have been more helpful.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

I took 7 friends for dinner during the Hay Festival and I was SO impressed at the service (especially during such a busy period). They were attentive, kind and efficient. The food is absolutely brilliant. Everyone was very happy!